PDA

View Full Version : Degas and fluxing agents for aluminum

balddave
11-17-2004, 06:55 PM
Hey i'm looking for a good source(preferably online) for degas tablets and flux for my aluminum pours, i deal a lot with extruded scrap for my melts so i'm hoping that therse will increase the quality of my pours. Also any recomentdations of types and such? thanks a lot!

uute
11-19-2004, 01:26 AM
Budget Casting Supply is the online source I always hear of. Kind of expensive, but a good source.

I use an extra special, Heavy Duty Industrial degas formula of 50% sodium cloride / 50% potassium cloride. Brand name is Morton Lite Salt - available only in the casting aile of your local supermarket. Make SURE it is DRY!

What kinds of things are you casting?
uute

balddave
11-19-2004, 09:42 PM
I do a lot of casting, all sorts of stuff, mostly because i'm too cheap to actually buy good stock, so i take the scraps my dad gives me and i make a casting close to my shape and then do some machining. Usually for most of what i do, this crudeness works, good enough
Thanks a bunch for tip. I checked out the prices and i think i'll check out that heavy duty stuff...hehe

uute
11-20-2004, 01:37 AM
Sounds like a "blast"! They tell me degas is most important when stock is oily or greasy, and is important with gas fired furnaces (most use propane). If you see little bubbles or voids on machined surfaces, thats probably from not degassing. Some guys also use clorine for swimming pools.

For machining, cast aluminuim (scrap vs extrusions)is easier to work (less gummy on tools & work). Easy way to improve extrusions is to add about 8% copper by weight to hot alum. Takes a few minutes (10-15 if you use soft copper tubing), but the aluminium wil desolve the copper (even though the copper is below its melting point). Usually best to pour new alloy to ingot, remelt for final casting.

Just some things I'm learning, and that you may already know.

uute

PS there are some good links on the other thread on alum. casting.