PDA

View Full Version : machinists vice

bluebeard
11-12-2004, 05:35 PM
I noticed a heavy (50-60 lbs?) 4 1/2 inch Columbian machinsts vice at the scrapyard yesterday. Nice shape. Thought I'd made a find until I noticed that whatever constitutes the female acme-thread block inside was missing. Is it worth my while to get a replacement for this if I can get the vice for five bucks? From where would I order such a part? I couldn't locate the company on the web.
Thanks for any advice,
Brad Williams

G.A. Ewen
11-12-2004, 06:05 PM
I would grab it and make the acme nut. Heck even changing it to ready rod would be ok for a vise.

Michael Az
11-12-2004, 07:12 PM
You can get acme rod and nuts from enco pretty cheap.
Michael

John Garner
11-12-2004, 08:15 PM
Got my hopes up for a moment there.

Columbian is now owned by Wilton; the last I heard they were still selling both vise lines.

John

lynnl
11-13-2004, 12:38 PM
I tried to get a replacement nut from Columbian for one of their woodworking vises
a few years ago and they told me "not available".
That was my original reason for jumping into machining/metal working. But I still have not gotten around to making that nut. ...kind of a half-nut arrangement for quik release/takeup.
Maybe one day I'll get the proverbial
"roundtoit".

[This message has been edited by lynnl (edited 11-13-2004).]

bluebeard
11-20-2004, 02:07 PM
I got the vise. It's currently in electrolysis (yuk yuk), and I've been told by Columbian that the nut is available for about sixty bucks. Yikes. But this vise retails at five hundred and discounts for three eighty and mine is in excellent shape minus this nut so I may just give it to me for Christmas. I wish it were the case that any acme nut would fit, but the part is about four inches of thread on a dovetailed way that slides into the base of the vise, and certainly worth the money, but anyone know where I might come by this part more cheaply? The vise is a #404 series swivel base with a replaceable rear jaw/anvil. New Columbian vises are #505 stationary and #506 swivel without replaceable anvils, but I suspect that this a part shared across the line. Any tool graveyards out there I could inquire of?

bluebeard
11-20-2004, 02:17 PM
..is it possible to edit posts here? Instead of #505 and #506 above, I meant to say #504 and #604.

SJorgensen
11-20-2004, 02:21 PM
Sounds like a great deal! If I were you I'd happily pay the $60 and borrow some paint from Alistair and enjoy looking at it almost as much as using it!

Thats a perfect Home Shop Machinist story. Post pictures please,

Spence

Anyone spotted any indexed rotary tables in the pile?