PDA

View Full Version : Say a prayer for me.

ibewgypsie
11-18-2004, 09:41 PM
I was near bedridden, been taking the thyroxin and been feeling pretty darn good for a few days..

I got the notion to put "up" the addition..
I started Tuesday after the upsetting Doctors visit. A 25x25 addition.. I got it standing by myself, 3/4 plywood on the roof and OSB on the corners, No walls yet.. No interior.. The nail gun sounded like a tommygun the past few days..

Rain was supposed to be here Saturday, it is here now. I am frustrated to tears. Not sure if the wood will stand 7 days of solid rain.? WILL it?

Just opened a fresh bottle and trying to relax.. but man.. I picked up by myself the camper shell and put it back on the shop truck over the stack of plywood, either it was really light or I was really mad.

Rain, Rain.. go away..

Some of you carpenters tell me, WIll it be Okay? I got the roof nailed down good 23/32 sheathing..

BillH
11-18-2004, 09:51 PM
Hmm, my Uncle had same problem up at my parents lakehouse building the garage/future workshop. Got there too late, bad weather moving in, too cold to finish it. Got the Tyvek up and tar paper on the roof, the metal roof will have to wait til the spring. The windows and doors will all be in though, so it will be sealed up.
Was an entire week that it rained and everything got soaked before the tyvek was installed.

spope14
11-18-2004, 09:51 PM
I am no crpenter, but live in New England where rain is the way of life. If you have the roof sheathed with good Exterior grade, you should be good on that end, and if the rest of it stays fairly dry from drenching, you should be set. This summer I put up a 16 x 16 shead for our campground, and got the roof on just in time (no shingles) for rain. No walls either but for the studs, and 3/4 Ext Plywood on the floor. It survived, though I did give it a day of air afterwards to dry a bit.

sdeering
11-18-2004, 10:11 PM
I think the plywood should be fine in a week of rain Ibew. Hope the rain goes away and the sun dries that plywood out for ya.

Maybe this pick will put some happy thoughts back in your head.

Cylinder 4.25
Head 11:1 2.02 IN
For a 120Ci merch
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/sdeering/merchcylinder.jpg
And why don't you by some beer and invite a friend or two over, sure helps to have a couple more hands.
Stephen

[This message has been edited by sdeering (edited 11-18-2004).]

billr
11-18-2004, 10:12 PM
hello David.

it will be ok. just let it dry out before you start covering it up. you might want to check fasteners and see that none pulled when the sheathing swelled up.

have a toot of wild turkey and let it pass over.

pisses me off that it is gonna be cloudy for the meteor shower tomorrow night. it was raining last night.

relax.

peace.
bill

ibewgypsie
11-18-2004, 10:17 PM
S:

Why is it apart? Them things are made to ride.. and ride.. and break things.. and then ride some more.. We bought six of the six speeds to run behind big inch motors.. we have used one I think.. Rest are spider traps..

David http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

ibewgypsie
11-18-2004, 10:19 PM
I'd like to find out what it takes to mount a newer six speed into a four speed primary/frame.. it sure would be nice on my old stroker.. hear it go putt putt.. instead or GROOOOWWWWWLLLL down the interstate.. I still have the drags on it.. not found the fishtail muffle/exhaust I want yet..
And that old clutch.. I need a clutch tamer in it. I think.. it is sticky..

David..

CCWKen
11-18-2004, 10:25 PM
I bet you're about to get the rain we just had. 6" over Tuesday and Wednesday. The worst was Wednesday--4" in three hours! The low water crossings down the road were shut down until today. Glad I'm on slight rise. The driveway is trashed though.

sdeering
11-18-2004, 11:59 PM
I bought 70% of the motor when Merch went belly up huge auction, lots of parts.
Flywheels, crankcase, cylinders, stage three heads, pistons, and a pallet of odds and ends for about 1500.oo.

I wish I would have known what interchanged with other motors, I would have purchased a lot more.

Anything else off of a Evo will fit. That auction is where I bought the cnc. The mill was someone else's not theirs, I sure wish I could have went for a tour when the were in production lots of cnc's running.

The owner has a new shop up and running cnc mill and cnc lathe. He's a good guy seems to be very helpful.

I went to there shop the other day to talk cnc. They are designing a new crank, 3 piece, counterweights and main jornals are one piece biger rod pin and pin is pressed in .0014 in interference fit. They say it should last longer when on nitrous.

Hears a pick of the one that is running.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/sdeering/harley3.jpg
Stephen

SJorgensen
11-19-2004, 02:19 AM
You know Dave that throwing a tarp over your wood is a lot easier on your back that throwing a camper shell. I found a site that says thyroxin is 65% iodine. Other than that I'm glad it gives relief and inspiration. I should find a doctor to talk to.

My first thought was to spray the wood with Kerosene. That just goes to show my thinker aint workin so well.

But like you I've seen ruined plywood. You didn't buy marine wood but hopefully the adhesives they use now are not water soluable.

Keep the faith.

Tinkerer
11-19-2004, 03:07 AM
Big Blue Tarps.. I don't start a project with out them. Because no matter what the forecast it always seems to rain... snow or turn to crap before the roof is shingled. So I'd put a tarp on it cause wood... like all things aint like it used to be. Good Luck

Tim

speedy
11-19-2004, 04:51 AM
Dave, look after that health. The trouble with getting older is that the mind still thinks like its 25 but the body cant keep up the pace and lets us down at times, more frequently as we get older.
On the subject of timber protection, get some temp protection up asap, I have a roll of concrete underlay plastic sheeting on hand; it opens out to 4 metres wide and as long as I want. I staple in place and nail battens over to secure or use fibre tape for short term.Get some mates around , do the job then get on the piss and BBQ.
Two large windows at my home have had this treatment for the winter just gone, it`s about time to rig up a system and hoist myself up on it to paint the house ( I hope I`m not left up there http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif my wife is very patient with me but she may have reached her limit)
Ken

tattoomike68
11-19-2004, 05:28 AM
a staple gun and some plastic might give you some peace of mind.

I wish you all the best http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

captainkirk
11-19-2004, 06:30 AM
Throw some tar paper up and you won't have any trouble. Most all plywood today will withstand quite a number of soakings with little or no effect likely you will not have anything to worry about.

ibewgypsie
11-19-2004, 07:33 AM
Been awake most the night, OHH that 3/4 plywood kicked my butt.

Not that heavy really till you grab each one by the corner and pull it into place after hoisted it up onto the roof..

I am so sore. Enough crying. Nailguns were made for fastening plywood down. WHoo hoo.. Mikey says you use more nails like that. He has started a foundation in his subdivision for his "first built to sell house" Or he'd been right here helping. I guess it is raining his ditches full and his plans too.. unless he poured yesterday.. then?

It is soaked, if it dries up a bit I might get up there, but not if it is wet. The pitch is pretty steep. 5' in 12'6". I'd come right off like a bobsled.

Carrol is making coffee.. I am looking for hte advil..

------------------
David Cofer, Of:
Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

cam m
11-19-2004, 11:42 AM
Ibew,

Most if not all plywoods sold these days is glued with "exterior" grade glue which is VERY resistant to delamination. So rest up and get ready to make the nails and sawdust fly when the sun comes out! In additions, the biggest hazard, IMHO, is leakage into finished areas of the house. Sheetrock and wood finishes are very vulnerable.

Cam m

P.S. FWIW our framers shovelled a minimum of 1" of wet snow off the subfloor of our new house (3/4"OSB) at least 3 times during construction and the roof decking (3/8" ply) at 6/12 slope was soaked at least 3 times.

speedy
11-19-2004, 02:28 PM
Dave, toughen up. LOL http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
If you`re concerned about the ply , how about throwing a couple of rope leaders over the roof then drag the cover over , tie down both sides with rope if it is too dangerous to get up on the roof at present . One day of rain damage is preferable to six.
Best wishes with your health and building project Dave.
Ken

ibewgypsie
11-19-2004, 02:51 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/Dscn0710.jpg

Mike called this morning, we had breakfast at Waffle house.. It was sunshining, Rain there on his television in ALabama, he said Lets go..

We got the last piece of metal on the roof about 12:30 and the rain started at 12:31.

It is hard to "not Believe" in higher intervention.

Thanks to good friends and a break in the weather. It is dried in, not lockable yet but dried in.

YOU tell me, is 4 days too long for this point from the slab? I had help today on the metal.. I sure am feeling old and timid at the moment..

David

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 11-19-2004).]

cam m
11-19-2004, 05:36 PM
Ibew,

Unless you're doing it for a living 4 days to that point is nearly heroic. When we first moved to our present property I put up 2 new buildings. Admittedly both were bigger than your addition. I started the first in early July and put the fourth overhead door in in October. Worked when I felt like it or help was available and lived life when I didn't. It's hard to derive and pleasure or satisfaction from the project if you're nearly bedridden from working so hard....

You're doing great!

Cam

ibewgypsie
11-19-2004, 05:46 PM
I think the grass clippings are washed off now.. HA.. it looks like crap on that one piece of metal..

I just hung the door and locked it.. the eaves and soffits are not done.. I am thou.

David http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

hoffman
11-19-2004, 06:07 PM
Took me almost a year to build my 20 x 24 shop. Mostly saving up $$ fo the next step. You be doing great!
Still don't have siding because I spent my siding $$ on a lathe...

------------------
Hoffman in Warner Robins Ga

speedy
11-19-2004, 07:17 PM
Dave that is a tremendous effort. You are a worker not a shirker.
Doctor Ken says; "Take it easier on yourself young man, then you`re more able to enjoy your efforts" http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
Ken

vinito
11-19-2004, 07:31 PM
It's not big enough

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

vinito
11-19-2004, 07:46 PM
Sure brings back memories of roofing the garage I built for my first house. I had the tar paper down and the shingle bundles scattered on the roof the night before (it had rained the previous three days). The next morning I hopped up and started nailing down shingles. By late afternoon I could hear faint thunder in the distance and and it started spitting a bit. I didn't look up since that would just slow me down and I just had the cap shingles to do. This is no kidding - a half-second after I set the last nail on the last cap shingle, a monster thunder clap shook the whole neighborhood. From deep inside an evil belly laugh escaped while I shook my little roofing hammer at the sky. The feller next door said he thought he heard pirates.

"It is hard to "not Believe" in higher intervention."

I hear ya, brother.

[This message has been edited by vinito (edited 11-19-2004).]

ibewgypsie
11-19-2004, 07:59 PM
Vinito, they are never big enough.. I am trying to gain enough points so I can expand my shop.. The house I built here was only a 20x24 one bedroom house, (plywood cabin) but it got us out of renting a house.

Payments, house, shop, property $199 a month.
I built this place with my credit cards floating the materiels on plastic (7800$) Once we got it up, we borrowed money on it and I got me a shop built. Sometimes it pays to be able to do things like that. Now, the tiny house is being expanded to a more "normal" house.. I kinda hate it.. My highest utility bill has been $120 with electric heat..

I have two kids, two child supports, a love for fast cars and harleys. My hobbies have paid for most of my loves. Tattooing and making things.

I highly recommend anyone who can do what I did with the house/property to do so to get out of renting. Your life will improve.

------------------
David Cofer, Of:

BWS
11-19-2004, 08:06 PM
Consider the prayer request DONE!

FWIW,when looking at any construction job in the future,heres a quick lowdown on what you should be thinking about.And this is whether its for thyself or for $$$.1st and foremost,how do we reach the work,think ladders...scaffold...cranes...lifts...
whatever.We can't do any work until we actually touch it.2nd "lumber in - trash out"
where do we stage materials?And how are we getting all this garbage the heck outta here?3rd...and this maybe where you missed,"don't bet against Mother Nature..cause in the long run you WILL lose.IOWs have tarps or whatever it takes to cover yo a$$.4th hassle factor..what,if any makes this job a bitch to turnover?

From here it gets deeper and more technical,as to pricing and logistics.EVERY job has to be disected in the above manner if its to be carried out on the "plus" side.

Don't be stressin over your project.Take it all in stride,everything has a way of working out.Here's to ya........BW

ibewgypsie
11-19-2004, 08:25 PM
BW:

My cabin, I had a old school bus, I loaded all the lumber into it, the compressor and my gangbox. THE whole building fit into the back of the bus. I still have the old bus, everynow and then I have to crank it and move it for the county to show them it runs.

Yes, all things are not as simple as thought out. I thought I had till Saturday before the rain moved in. Knowing how fast I can raise a small building like this is from the way I done it before.

You left out the building inspector that stands there waiting on a small tip, or outright bribe.. He worried me to death on the house, not even seen him here in quite a while now.

THEY all are like that. THe one over the county Mike built the Subdivision in, held up the permit to sell lots because the "ROCK" (gravel in the roadbed) was not bought from his friend.. He stood there with his hand behind him.. kinda shaking it, wanting something put into it.. then turned him down.. A million dollar subdivision held up for a few hundred dollars. Later, same thing, Later same thing, Mike gave me a $100 bill to stand real close to him with my dark sunglasses on. Not smile, not make any facial expressions, just stand close.. They are building houses and selling lots now.

Reality bites. Being kneecapped by someone over a few hundred dollars is a terrible thought, He did the right thing. 99% of the developers play thier games. It is cheaper that way.

David

Tinkerer
11-19-2004, 11:07 PM
That bites for sure.. I hate SOB like that not enough to get paid for doing a job. But they have to give people the business as well. I hate that. I've had to deal with that crap before. Just place a video camera up and send the tape to the I-team as well as the States AG. Make sure he asked for it.. don't offer anything. Let him deal with that.

vinito
11-20-2004, 12:32 AM
You might ought to put a $20 in with the tape you send to the AG to encourage them to watch it. Those kind of folks are everywhere. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//icons/icon8.gif

You could also anonymously call the IRS and tip them that "you are a neighbor of this guy and you heard him bragging to a buddy that he makes tons of money he never pays taxes on". Even if he never gets busted, the PITA of an IRS audit might give a bit of quiet consolation.

But the "big angry friend" tactic is nice work if you can get it. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Tinkerer
11-20-2004, 12:51 AM
Forgo the the 20 bucks. Just label the tape " The Naked Truth ".. They'll watch it. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

BWS
11-20-2004, 07:41 AM
Concerning inspectors.There are so many gray areas in the books it ain't even funny.They(inspectors)never had the balls to mess with us,we've been in the biz over 100 years.And usually never even speak to them,no hello,no FU,no nothing.A blank stare at best.Thinking all the while......why am I even standing here with this numbskull?

Anyhow,once a "C O" (cert. of occupancy)has ever been issued,"homey" has it made.Theres a very deep grey area to what constitutes repair and new construction.If anyone ever says anything about a homeowner repairing his property without a building permit,take it all the way to the supreme ct.Its one of the basic freedoms in this great country.Theres a hole in the roof,we don't need no stinkin permit to fix it.Now,how far you want to take the premise(repair vs new) is each persons choice.I never got a C O on the house we live in 15 years ago.Therefore the original permit which at the time had no end date has afforded me the luxury of just doin whatever I please.Only person that is of concern is Tax assesor.I make it a serious habit to find out EXACTLY when he's making the 'rounds.Comes in between 3-5 years.Soon as he's come and gone,and the stories(good) I could tell about sweet talkin him,then make major upgrades to property.Then have 3-5 before they charge me for the privalige.Built house with no central air or heat.... snuck in full tilt boogy HVAC and by the time tax man came the bushes had grown up around'm he never saw them.Snuck in a nice almost underground garage as well.But none of this was about inspectors...they can kiss my a$$.Its the tax man that hits us.Our house is freakin huge........no really huge.So we ain't talkin little taxes here.All major work's been long since finished here.And am paying the going rate on taxes.

Oh,and BTW homey needs to be figuring a 3-1 ratio on his/her efforts.Meaning,if you spend 500$ on this pile of materials,the project needs to be worth 1500.If you are not reaching this figure then either your design/concept "don't make sense" or you have no biz swingin a hammer.Always shoot for the 3-1,keeps you from doing stupid gay little mods to your property.Gotta go kill a whopper buck in the backyard.............

ibewgypsie
11-20-2004, 09:50 AM
I spent roughly $3500 on the wood and metal. A 1950 studebaker truck on the basement side and a "really old rusty tattoo machine" sold to pay for the east half of slab.

My taxes went up roughly $12,000 after we did the "permits" Which by the way included a engineered evaualation of the "runoff" aspect concerning local terrain.

Crooks in every office from the smallest to the largest in "OUR" land. Of course since all the muscles ache this morning it might just be a bad attitude. HA..

Walking in to a politicians office, pulling him across his desk, hitting him a few times between the eyes gets your point across.

There was a big guy I worked with, HUGE guy. He was play wrestling with me, picked me up and threw me twelve or more feet through the air. I hit on my feet trying to run the momentum off before I went facefirst..
I ran into a coke machine, it ran into the wall, and rebounded trying to fall on top of me.. I was real serious about not letting that happen and forgot all about Ronald.

He went to the local county hearings, clerks office complaining about several things that was biting at his concience. He found out lobbyiest (spelling?) were working to change the laws to suit thier needs. He took (a) the man in a Aikido hold back out to his car and put him in there. NOW having a 400 or so pound man twist your wrist and install you into a car can really change your life.

Well the office people loved it. Ronald is now some kind of big wig and they call him when he does not show up. I forget which political office he has now.. moving up..

Kinda makes me wonder about ARNOLD.. Ya know the terminator?

Gotta drink the coffee Carrol just brought me.. yumm.. and I still feel old and timid this morning..

David

ibewgypsie
11-20-2004, 07:10 PM
HARUMMPHFF

Carrol has gone to get her nails done.. I put the house wrap on it today, framed in a 48x60 window and built a new doghouse for my pup.

If'n I wanted to, I could be moved in this coming week... BUT I am going to wait till spring at least and use it for a bike garage till then.

My harley is sitting there on the jack, no front tire on it, clutch apart.. I think I'll complete the gables then fix my bike.. Maybe ride down south a day or two or three or four.. How about a feather engraved into the cast front wheel?

I Love to ride, hate to sit idle..

------------------
David Cofer, Of:

speedy
11-21-2004, 03:51 AM
All your life long, some son of a bitch ar**hole, trying to screw you, it has been the same forever. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//mad.gif
All your life long, good tight friends, who trust and are trusted, it has been the same forever. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
Enjoy that ride Dave, recharge.
I miss riding, still
cheers, Ken

[This message has been edited by speedy (edited 11-21-2004).]

BWS
11-21-2004, 06:15 AM
David,if I wasn't swamped with work I'd ride my bike down there and help ya.Been on 2 wheels for 30+ years.Only got 50k on my new bike so it ain't even broke in yet.We live on the Blue Ridge pkwy.
One of my projects,the kind that seem to never get finished is the M/C lift.I rescue wrecked bikes(all makes) from deep in the mnt twistys.Have chilled a little on how many,but in anycase,built a frame staightening machine.No biggy just channel welded up in a way that makes using porta power and subsequent measures convenient.ANYHOW......
it was a logical step to convert above frame jig to a lift table,well that was the thought.the jig weighs in @ over 500#s.We drug it out of race shed into the yard for something or other.Then it got hauled into the shop where it took up valuable floor space for 3 months.Then came and went some other hairbrained project so jig got moved back outside on loading dock where it sits.Its got more miles on it than some of the bikes its seen.And it really needs to be back in the raceshed,theres a rr section on a BM that needs a bit of tweeking.
Killed a nice big fat Turkey yes. me and the boys are gonna cook it up real good on Thus.Having a bunch of family over.Always serve wild game.....just seems like the thing to do.We'll say a special construction prayer for ya.

ibewgypsie
11-21-2004, 09:45 AM
My present bike, a old 76 shovelhead stroker.

It runs just exactly like a racecar. Real fast and really unreliable. I have let it sit while other things are/were more pressing so I thought.

Perhaps enjoying life is really more important? Soon it will be gone on bye, the years seem to click like seconds these days.

If it won't do it may bear to be replaced with something that will.

I got a 12" channel that made a excellent frame jig, a model 3 bender to bend tubing, just not good enough of a welder to make things happen the way I want. Most the welders I have dealt with are drunks or thieves and either way my bender and jig would be history. Thought of selling the whole rig. But then do you/can you sell your dreams.. only if you have gave up.

David