PDA

View Full Version : OT: Surviving menopause. (Help!)

pgmrdan
11-18-2004, 09:43 AM
At work this morning the topic came up of husbands surviving the perils of their wives going through menopause. I suggested we could form a support group and meet at a local establishment for liquid refreshments one or two (or seven http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif) evenings a week to escape, er, uh, discuss how to cope. I don't think our wives are going to go for that one though.

Any advice or experiences you would be willing to share?

Thanks,
Dan

ibewgypsie
11-18-2004, 09:46 AM
After hearing that my wifes credit card debt has exceeded her yearly income.

We were paid off completely two years ago.

No comment.

Bill Cook
11-18-2004, 09:56 AM
Survived my "male menopause". Altho it set me back some, I came out of it with some much needed focus.
As for my newer wife, she may be just getting started.

bc

Evan
11-18-2004, 10:32 AM
My wife reads this. No comment.

pgmrdan
11-18-2004, 10:36 AM
Evan,

Understood! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

scooter
11-18-2004, 11:13 AM
Might be better to send them out for drinks.

Al Flipo
11-18-2004, 11:31 AM
My wife does not read this; she went insane there for a couple of years and never really fully recovered. It’s a miracle that I still have my sanity, well some of it anyway.

Rustybolt
11-18-2004, 01:54 PM
Keep your head down. And no matter what happens it's all your fault. Now might be a good time to take up a hobbie that gets you out of the house.All in all I would rather drink lye than go through that again. You have my sympathies. Good luck.

lenord
11-18-2004, 01:59 PM
The doc did a blood test to get the baseline levels of hormones in her system. Different ones in the blood I guess....

She is on natural hormone repacements. Went to a "natural" pharmacy, not Eckerds. Had a real pharmacist and all that too. Doc called in a prescription, they filled it. It took a few tries to get the dosages right. She went right back to "normal" in _days_ after we got the dosage right.

There are online support groups for this for women. Strangely, I could not find one for men..

FWIW
Lenord

[This message has been edited by lenord (edited 11-18-2004).]

scooter
11-18-2004, 03:20 PM
As Red Green puts it so eloquently...

I'm a man...
But I can change...
If I have to...
I guess.

pgmrdan
11-18-2004, 04:17 PM
Scooter,

I've thought about The Man's Prayer but that only works if the wife can tell the man how she wants him to change.

I keep running into The Crystal Ball Syndrome (AKA, The Read My Mind Phenomenon), i.e., "I shouldn't have to tell you that! You should already know!"

I think it was Tom Arnold that said, "Women! Can't live with 'em. Can't kill 'em."

Iquithadenuff
11-18-2004, 05:07 PM
Told "new" wife, not to try and change me like last one did.Said:see what it got her.....reply was lots of $$$, Now I don't have lots of $$......she can't change me

Spin Doctor
11-18-2004, 06:11 PM
The thing to remember about menopause is that you get to say the last two words of the argument more often "Yes Dear" http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//tongue.gif

spope14
11-18-2004, 09:18 PM
My shop is a mile and 1 tenth from my home and has no telephone or cell phone reception. It has a small fridge, a coffee pot, a 31 inch TV and a great stereo. At home I have my dirt floor 1905 barn / garage that when that meonpause and PMS time comes, I do NOT hesitate to go out to, even in sub zero weather, and light up a Partagas cigar - these are known for holding the PMS / menopause vampire at bay kind of like garlic...... Add a Sam Adams for insurance.... My bro in law comes over when the animal hits his home....

Nobody survives menopause unscathed. However, I had my fill of being the "frog in a blender" routine plenty before the wife went through menopause. The wife, oldest daughter, and for the recent few years youngest daughter cycled that way women do...they went into PMS all within 10 hours of each other. Being the only male in the home, and the only moving target, I was IT. Three wimmen against me.....Hell, even the insects ran......left me to fend for myself.

For you younger pups, nobody survives PMS un injured.

Jeeze, I will NEVER forget our trip to Disney world, the infamous trip where they all started in the plane going to FLA. #1 started about Newark, and #3 started about over Atlanta. One week, four people in a hotel room....ah, but I shudder in horror as I digress...looking at Mickey Mouse causes post tramatic stress, and when i heard the winning Red Sox players say "we're going to Disney World, I screamed "Don't go, save yourselves......run away....."

Same GD thing happened on a three week trip to Colorado...... One week in the Rockies with my head ducked low...

This was MAJOR PMS that finally when all was said and done, required some really big time medicines for them to take to "even it out" and to help me from getting murdered.

Menopause was an easy re-run. Only had to deal with the one of them. I am not sure I even know it happened, for I still have the two other young wimmen to be careful of on a monthly basis.....

[This message has been edited by spope14 (edited 11-18-2004).]

pgmrdan
11-18-2004, 09:28 PM
spope14,

I can relate. My wife and 16 year old daughter have been synchronized for a couple of years now. When they get their monthly visit from Aunt Flo they'll bicker and crab at each other for hours every evening and just laugh. I just walk into the family room and I get dirty looks from both of them. I just back away slowly and go to the basement and tinker in the workshop. The family room is "no man's land"!

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 11-18-2004).]

woman
11-19-2004, 04:11 AM
hello all
as a woman i can tell you all to buy your wives the book by Tim Allen (the toolman) called "never stand too close to a naked man". i found it very insightful.
evan (dad) may not be able to say anything but i can! dad is fairly afraid of the the sentence:
"evan, we need to talk."
for myself, i am quite amazed that my husband did not rent another apartment to live in during my whole pregnancy. now he has just learned to sleep in the fetal position with all vital organs covered.

speedy
11-19-2004, 05:07 AM
I understand that some tribal communities send the women out of the village to a special place for them till the cycle passes. I have just lately learnt to drop my shoulder when the barbs fly and seek the refuge of my garage, prevously I would confront her and .....conflict. I like a peaceful life now http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif, I`m glad I`m male.
Ken

tattoomike68
11-19-2004, 05:21 AM
My woman is 47 years old, to get her off I just hand her $1,000+ and she is happy.

works like magic.. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

[This message has been edited by tattoomike68 (edited 11-19-2004).]

tattoomike68
11-19-2004, 05:23 AM
oops again

[This message has been edited by tattoomike68 (edited 11-19-2004).]

captainkirk
11-19-2004, 06:50 AM
A young newly married couple is having some major problems getting along, she throws major fits and is totally unreasonable at times. A neighbor suggests it might be PMS syndrome so they go to the doctor and he runs a whole load of tests and calls them back in a couple of weeks.
He says sit down I have some good news and some bad news, he looks at the wife and says "you don't have PMS"............He looks at the husband and says "you married a Bitch!!!!!!

Quote Norm From sitcom Cheers: Woman you can't live with them........pass me the beer nuts!

ibewgypsie
11-19-2004, 08:03 AM
My recent bout with hyper thyroidism, it is kinda like a chemical imbalance.

Eyes bulging out, fits of temper. This coming from a 300 pound man who has had martial arts training. I think I acted like a child more than once in the past few months. Nobody around here has a broken nose. (although there was one guy who drove a rollback up into my grassy yard)

I am taking my medications, they gave me thyroxin for the supplement now, sleeping pills for the sometimes restlessness, and tranqulizers for the temper.

I am getting over mine, much better. I feel a little more able to understand the PMS monster.

scooter
11-19-2004, 09:58 AM
Hey - you want to talk about synchronized!
I have 7 (seven) sisters, throw in my dear mother, and Little Lady our canine protector(yep - she's a bitch) and that time of the month was hell like no other hell.

Oh Gawd - I'm sorry....I should never have gone back there.

Find a happy place Scooter...Find a happy place.

[This message has been edited by scooter (edited 11-19-2004).]

sandman2234
11-19-2004, 10:31 AM
And my wife wonders why I am filling my garage with projects, that need to be done, instead of just doing them. I am getting ready for the time when...

David from jax

------------------
Have gun, will travel.

AZSORT
11-19-2004, 10:48 AM
Get the Suzanne Summers book on how to balance hormones. Mostly a matter of finding the right doctor.

Al Flipo
11-19-2004, 11:55 AM
Hmmm...A how-to book written by a super flake, a must read I’m sure.

3jaw
11-19-2004, 09:03 PM
Cut it out, guys. You're scarin' me!!! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif

Evan
11-19-2004, 11:31 PM
Be afraid, very, very afraid.

snowman
11-20-2004, 12:22 AM
I think I must be one of the lucky ones. For about six months I put up with it, I finally put my foot down and made her go to the doctor. Science class taught me what was normal, and I realized that what she was going through wasn't normal. She was bitchy, but also in a lot of pain...too much pain, too often. Doc found that she had pelvic congestion syndrome. Good news, Doc put her on birth control without the week off. She has her period once every four months, and even then, it's a lot easier for her to handle.

Menopause scares the hell out of me, and I'm only 25. Still got another 20 years before that one comes along.

A few things I suggest after my six months...
Hide, Run, Drink, Avoid

-Jacob

spope14
11-20-2004, 07:55 PM
Like freaking magic - bloack magic voodoo. Somebody posts this subject, I write back while life is in a lull, and BANGO WHAMO, This morning about 8:30 young one, then about 3:30, older daughter ...you get the picture. I think wife just joins in for the memories, or because menopause is still in gear.

Frog in a blender time again. Just came in to chevck e-mails and get another beer or and cigar. Got my cable hooked up, two black cat propane heaters out in my drafty old garage, BBQ outdoors with ribs, and will await the time when the lights turn off in the bedrooms before I show my face again this evening.....

Dave Opincarne
11-21-2004, 01:40 AM
So what's the difference between a terorist and a woman with PMS? You can negotiate with a terorist.

I divorced my terorist..er wife. 1st born female in a bad mood and on mood altering (prescription) drugs (or not). I couldn't cope anymore. Escaping to the shop or staying late at work just made it worse when I did show my face. Thanks all for reminding me what I'm not missing.

Dave

uncrichie
11-21-2004, 12:54 PM
I thought dealing with a week of pre menstral syndrome and a week of post menstral syndrome and the week of the menstral syndrome out of each month for 30 years was supposed to get you in shape for the dreaded weeks, months, years of menopause? Am I wrong? Uncrichie...

scooter
11-21-2004, 02:41 PM
Hey - y'all hear about the new just for women radio station hitting the air....

Format's three weeks of R&B, one week of Ragtime.

wierdscience
11-21-2004, 03:30 PM
I for the record currently share no wedding band patterns with anyone,however from having a mother,two grantmothers and four aunts within striking distance all of whom are of French heritage I do have some experience.

Of coarse you might say that because none of them are married to me how could I possibly know right?Well let me explain,with French women there is no happy medium,its full tilt lunacy 24/7 if your married to one,but don't worry if your a son,nephew or even cousin your still in hot water.Plus you have to remember this is 24/7,the wrong time of the month is just the rest of the month with a 100 fold amplification.
The Gestapo asked less baited questions and the reward for wrong answers was much less painful,trust me piano wire is better than "you know what you did"followed by a detailed and lengthy litany of every prior offense in the past 62 years.

I witnessed my dad go through the change,it took about five years before he figured out that like arial combat the best way to avoid a missle up your arse is to not ingage.And thats exactly what he did,no matter what mom said or did he just said nothing and kept plugging away.Me I just ducked and covered,spent most of my time at work,after all if they can't see you they can't bitch at you.
Now everything between mom and dad is back to normal,he only gets fussed at,bitched and complained to two hours a day now http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif