PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyway to beat shipping?

Elninio
11-17-2004, 09:42 PM
it seems that if i were to buy from the states (i live in canada, near the border) i would end up paying 1000 or more for a bridgeport sized machine?

torker
11-17-2004, 09:45 PM
Ya...smuggle it under a bridge! Only way to "beat" shipping.

Elninio
11-17-2004, 09:48 PM
i know a friend that lives in states, if i said to the border police, that it was a gift from them, would i not have to pay taxes? Also i've heared that there is no border tax for old machines? is this true?

GunnySnow
11-17-2004, 10:19 PM
You ever hear the saying:

"If you wanna play you have to pay"?

cough up

Gunny

Elninio
11-17-2004, 10:35 PM
Well im trying to pay the least possible, is that wrong?

GunnySnow
11-17-2004, 11:15 PM
No not at all,

but come on, a milling machine gift?

do you think the Custom Agents are stupid??

why dont you check CDN sources for machinery?

I am an American living here in Canada, and as much as I love the US, I rarely by anything there, simply because of the cost of shipping, duty, taxes, brokerage fees and so forth. It is very rarely worth it.

Find a local source

Gunny

Evan
11-18-2004, 12:20 AM
Elninio,

Go down and buy it. Take a few family members for help. Bring it back on a trailer (not rental but yours) or in the back of a truck. Declare it at the border. There is no duty on American made machine tools. Pay the GST. Drive home.

gglines
11-19-2004, 01:16 AM
Trojan Horse. Build a replica Bridgeport out of sytrofoam and take that across the border. Throw the fake away, load real Bridgeport and then you're just bringing your own tool back.

George

gunsmith
11-19-2004, 08:45 PM
For shipping cost you can't beat a company called "Forward Air" all you have to do is get it to the turminal for them. They have planes not trucks. Great prices. By the way there is no tax on machines. The tax number that covers this was given on a string about 3 weeks ago on this site.

Elninio
11-20-2004, 10:47 AM
Thanks guys, good advice, i thought i had to pay some special tax on machine tools in order for the government to protect the sellers in canada, it seems that i have checked local tool stores and they dont sell what im looking for, a store in BC sells what im looking for (geared head milling machine) for over 3k! Of course its easier to get it from wholesale tools for 1395?

Rustybolt
11-20-2004, 11:13 AM
I think if you take it apart, it is no longer a machine. It is just machine tool parts and they have a cheaper tariff.

Evan
11-20-2004, 11:18 AM
There is no tarriff on American made machine tools. There is tax on anything brought across the border.

Elninio
11-20-2004, 04:58 PM
But this machine is an import from "chinese land". So is there would be a tarrif?. its a geared head mill/drill such as the 1 from enco. So it would be non-american

hoffman
11-20-2004, 07:51 PM
I once snuck some weed out of Mexico in my pants. Do you have a big pair of pants? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif

------------------
Hoffman in Warner Robins Ga

Betterhalf
11-20-2004, 08:51 PM
Made in China yes there is a tarriff best bet to phone and check with Customs clearing house as to the percentage you would have to pay and if it will be on the what you pay for the machine or the actual value of the machine. I know this makes a difference for the taxes.

TOOL PIG
11-22-2004, 05:09 PM
as i quoted in my earlier post there is no duty on machine tools or parts of machine tools even if they come from china. please refer to my earlier post for the canadian customs classification no. if canada customs trys to charge you duty they are ripping you off

Evan
11-22-2004, 08:49 PM
It's not that simple. The Canadian customs regs are very specific. China has Most Favored Nation status in Canada. Some types of lathes are duty free and some types have 6% duty. Same goes for milling machines. Drill presses have 6% duty unless it is a radial arm drill which is free. If it matters to you check with customs first.

Sailor
11-22-2004, 08:49 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TOOL PIG:
as i quoted in my earlier post there is no duty on machine tools or parts of machine tools even if they come from china. please refer to my earlier post for the canadian customs classification no. if canada customs trys to charge you duty they are ripping you off </font>

Never thought a Custom Officer could be a ripper offer. I did have had to pay duty plus Gst and Pst for assorted machine tooling bought in Bellingham but made in China and/or India.
Still have the receit wonder if I should ask for reimbursement ----Sailer

Elninio
11-22-2004, 09:16 PM
I've calculated taxes and with 15% tax and the 6% duty the a same model of a geared head milling machine w/ dovetail comes to 1600 whereas the exact same model is 2500 from king canada and 2250 from sharp. Theres gotta be a catch to this or the canadian dealer wouldnt get any sales right? Apart from going down there and gettin it myself i dont see any hardships

Evan
11-22-2004, 11:41 PM
I don't know what model you are looking for but have you checked Busy Bee Tools?