PDA

View Full Version : WW 2 machining book ?

wanna577
11-21-2004, 05:44 PM
I heard of a book put out by the us government during WW 2 on techniques to do unusual work on regular machine shop equipment. Anyone have a title or info on this, I'd really like to scrounge a copy.

SGW
11-21-2004, 06:41 PM
I think Lindsay Books may have reprinted it.
http://www.lindsaybks.com/

wanna577
11-21-2004, 07:40 PM
I went to Lindsays site, but I didn't see anything like that on there. Of course I'm not the sharpest stick in the woods either so I might have missed it.

Tinker2
11-21-2004, 07:53 PM
Your not looking for this are you?

www.machinist.org/army_machinetool/ (http://www.machinist.org/army_machinetool/)

Dave Opincarne
11-21-2004, 09:14 PM
As long as we're talking DOD manuals, does anyone know of an online version or even a link to the Navy Patternmaker's Manual?

Dave

wierdscience
11-21-2004, 09:59 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dave Opincarne:
As long as we're talking DOD manuals, does anyone know of an online version or even a link to the Navy Patternmaker's Manual?

Dave

</font>
No,but I got the print version,not much how to,but plenty of theory,plus they show you just what you can get away with in defects.

Dave Opincarne
11-21-2004, 10:16 PM
Oh I don't know WS. If we're talking the same ones (one or two volumes for mates ratings and a seperate one for chief's rating IIRC) I thought there was a lot if practical information in them. I've read through them, but would like to have a set for myself. IMNSHO they're the second best reference for patternmaking after the AFS text. Where did you get your copy?

Dave

wierdscience
11-21-2004, 10:40 PM
Okay,we might actually be talking about two sets,I have one of the USN canvas covered doggeared editons,maybe one of a series,it does mainly cover moulding and pouring with a chapter or two on core making.
I got that one from and old man I knew who was a motorman 1st class on a sub tender.He said the ship he sailed on during the war had patterns for most of the common wear componets stationed in the shop foundry,the rest they used original parts for the patterns.
The other set is five volumes about 4x6" and 5/8-1" thick,eelskin bound and covers everything from a-z,but in a summary just what you need to know format.
But then remember it is the Navy,so there is no telling what they have in stores.I am amazed at what they pull out of mothballs and sell at auction,just saw an Oliver straight-o-plane,24" 15hp 3~ sell for $1200,wish I had the money.

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 11-21-2004).]

Old Time
11-22-2004, 01:08 AM
I have a copy of the WW II book. It's called, Standard and Emergency shop procedures. It was written by Fred Colvin and I'm not sure if Lindsay's still has it.

Georgeo
11-22-2004, 10:26 AM
Lindsay used to have the pattern maker manual, with the prefix "the government finally did samething right". I can't find my Lindsay catalog right this minute, so you'll have to use your own to get the number.

I got my copy by writing a very polite letter to my Congressman, asking to have someone on his staff get one for me. It came right along. I got the impression that when a Congressperson asked the Navy printing office, things happened promptly.

Hope one of these works for you.

George

wanna577
11-22-2004, 08:18 PM
Ok at least now I know what its called. Oldsarge is it pretty good? Worth the time trying to find one in your opinion?

Old Time
11-23-2004, 02:08 AM
Wanna 577:
It's an interesting book, especially if you like huge machine tools. Actually, I picked up an idea or two that made a couple of projects easier.

chief
11-23-2004, 07:47 AM
The navy patternmaker book is hard to find as they have discontinued the the rate but I may be able to find you one dave.
The navy MR(machinery repairman 3&2 book) is availible on CD, as this is an unclassified document you can write the DOD and get it for a couple of bucks, maybe I can score one from one of the sailors in exchange for some carbide bits from the shop.

lunkenheimer
11-23-2004, 09:13 AM
Think I found them on CD:
http://www.military-media.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MMI&Product_Code=machin&Category_Code=TRAIN

but it says that they are 'training courses' rather than training manuals. Are these the right ones?

I'd rather have them on paper myself, though.