X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carl
    • Apr 2003

OT: Where were you? Nov. 22 1963

Every year on this date I can't help but think back to the day President Kennedy was killed. I was in the fifth grade at Lincoln Elementary School in Denver Colorado. Right before lunch recess, a rumor quickly made it's way through the school that something had happened to the President. I ran home for lunch to find my mother crying in front of the TV. This scared me and I soon realized why she was crying. I did return to school after lunch. My teacher had brought a TV into the classroom, as she realized we were witnessing history. This date brings back vivid memories of that day, just wondering if others remember where they were and what they were doing.
    THAT OLD GANG 'O MINE
  • dvideo
    • Dec 2002

I was in first Grade & remember.

Here in Dallas, I have come to know some of the TV Broadcast people who were there when it happened. The US changed a lot that day. One item, before - the newpapers were the primary news carrier. After, it was TV. One may I know was up for three - four days co-ordinating live TV coverage. That had never happened before. The liveness of the coverage made it real to people in a fashion that had never existed before.

--jr
    dvideo

Comment

• paulgrandy
      • Jun 2004

On the 'grassy knoll' with my sniper rifle. Just joking. Actually a Sophmore in HS sitting in an Algebra Class. On 9/11 I was sitting 5 miles south of the Pentagon watching it burn until they sent us home for the day.

Comment

• SGW
        • Apr 2001

In high school, must have been a junior, in the music room. I still remember the announcement on the P.A. system: "This is Mr. Clark. The President has been assassinated." We got sent home early.

----------
        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

• ibewgypsie
          • Dec 2002

First grade. I had to watch the whole shebang and wondered why my teacher kept crying..

David

Comment

• fixxit
            • Sep 2002

In High School...
            enduring an endless Latin class, waiting for it to be over.
            457863656C73696F7220212000

Comment

• Rex
              • Oct 2004

In 6th grade at Walker AFB elementary school. Teacher was an elderly retired Army major. He announced to the class right before lunch that the president had been shot. His face was ashen and he was visibly shaken. We spent the afternoon in the gym watching TV coverage.
              PBS replayed all the TV coverage a few years ago, uninterrupted, all day. I have a lot of it recorded. It was spooky to watch it as the day progressed and more informationa dn misiinformation trickled in.

Comment

• Allan Waterfall
                • Feb 2004

I was still living at home at the time and was in my shed rebuilding a Triumph T21 350cc motorbike.

It was evening in the UK and my grandma came to tell me. Still miss the bike and my granny,the bike got written off but my granny made it to 105.

Allan.

Comment

• mochinist
                  • Oct 2003

My Dad was 9 and was probally getiing into some sorta trouble.
                  Guru of something…

Comment

• ben78
                    • Aug 2004

Mo, I was thinking the same thing, only my Dad was 11.

Still, I can only imagine what it must of felt like to the world when it happened. I guess kinda like the disbelief and surreality of 9/11

Comment

• JCHannum
                      • Nov 2001

I was working, and did not learn of it until the second shift started to come in.

Anyone who missed it can now get a video game and reenact the shooting himself. Points are gained by delivering the three fatal shots in the correct sequence, deducted for missing, ie hitting Jackie by mistake. The bullets' trajectory can be slowed or stopped, and the impacts studied in sequence.

The game, of course is intended for historic and educational purposes, and was released today as a tribute to JFK. It is truly wonderful where this hi tech world has taken us.

[This message has been edited by JCHannum (edited 11-22-2004).]
                      Jim H.

Comment

• RayS
                        • Aug 2002

Was running a O.D. I.D. grinder. for J.C.Wells in Kenosha Wisconsin.

Comment

• Guero
                          • Jan 2003

I was in second grade at Waxhaw School. Back then Waxhaw School was all grades - first through 12 - and one of the High School seniors who was also a teacher's assistant came in and made the announcement. The news didn't impact too much with me, but our teacher and most of the High Schoolers were very affected (and JFK was not that popular in N.C.). I have bigger memories of the Cuban missile crisis when us kids would have to go through the "incoming missiles" drill and lay down in the hallways.

Comment

• Spin Doctor
                            • Nov 2002

And RayS, I was sitting in Sister Delma's 5th grade class at St. Mark's
                            Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

• uncrichie
                              • Feb 2004

Kneeling in the aisle next to my desk. The nun was making us all pray. Uncrichie...

Comment

Working...
                              X