PDA

View Full Version : Project Books 1-7 worth it?

Scrap Master
11-29-2004, 10:57 PM
I have a chance to grap all 7 project books for 150 bucks, they are NEW.

I'm wondering if these books are good, can anybody who owns them tell me anything about them? are the instructions good and nicely detailed? are the projects decent?

sch
11-29-2004, 11:07 PM
These books each have most of the editorial content for 2yrs of HSM. If you read and
like HSM then this is a 'cheap' way to get
the back issues. #1 is for '81-82 and they
march forward from there. The projects will
be all over the map, some very nice and
useful others, you wonder what the editor was thinking publishing this. Price is good at
$150, about 60% of current price. The value of the books will be subjective but I think they are useful. The details in the articles are more than adequate. Some of the articles are dated, pre cheap DRO stuff for example,
but most are timeless. Steve

[This message has been edited by sch (edited 11-29-2004).]

[This message has been edited by sch (edited 11-29-2004).]

Mike Burdick
11-29-2004, 11:47 PM
Scrap Master,

As for making any of these projects per se...maybe? The real value of them is that in each project there is usually a good idea that can be applied to something that you're making - whether it's a holding fixture or method. One can really pick up some nice tips!

If you grow tired of them please consider donating the set to your local library. For people who are just starting out and learning on their own, they can be of great help.

Hey, if you don't buy them, maybe the local library will! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Mike Burdick (edited 11-29-2004).]

Thrud
11-29-2004, 11:52 PM
They are a good read and contain lots of useful information and good inspiration for your own projects.

All of the Village Press books are worth purchasing. They are unique in their subject matter and worthy of any machinists library - IMHO.

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 11-29-2004).]