PDA

View Full Version : Recriprocating Power Hacksaw

Frank M. Tricarico
12-01-2004, 03:24 PM
Several years ago I purchased a set of castings for making a power hacksaw. After receiving the kit and noting the amount of work required (if you did not have a milling machine) I returned it.

I'm pretty sure I found the ad in HSM but have been unable to locate in in my old issues.

Is anyone aware of where I can purchase these castings. I recently acquired a mill and want to start on this project.

Also, if anyone has plans for a home made type of power hacksaw, I would appreciate receiving a copy.

ben78
12-01-2004, 04:54 PM
I don't know about the castings version but I am in the middle of building the power hacksaw that was in Popular Science in the 60's. The file is available for download from the 'Prints and Plans' Yahoo group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Prints_and_Plans/) then to the files section and then the folder named 'Shop Tools'. It uses all steel sections and no castings. I am departing a little from the original design that uses pipe bearings and automotive conrods to use cast iron bearings and BMS rod.

Although I would love an old cast Power Hacksaw with dovetail slides etc - they are so much more mesmerising than a bandsaw to watch.

Ben

Al Messer
12-01-2004, 05:09 PM
Hook up a hand hacksaw to the toolpost on your shaper.

hoffman
12-01-2004, 07:43 PM
Any advantage of a power hacksaw over a bandsaw? There are several hanging around where I work part time. Big suckers though...

------------------
Hoffman in Warner Robins Ga