X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gary Helmick
    • Mar 2001

Alum versus Tap versus Corningware

On a thread a while back someone asked how to remove a broken tap.

There were a lot of good answers but one that I researched and wanted to try was the use of Alum.

Well to tell the story, it worked!! But now I have a new problem.

I was working in some aluminum and got in to much of a hurry in tapping for 8-32. As luck would have it, I broke a tap.

Now what do I do?

Well I come to the frendly Home Shop Machinist mag web site and do a search and find someone posting about using Alum to eat away the tap.(And it does) But they didn't say how long this was going to take.

I didn't really time it, but it took probably at least 8hrs to cook this tap out of my prized project.

This still wasn't the reason I am posting this item. My problem now is, how do I get this Alum out of the Corningware I borrowed from my wife?

I am still trying, with no sucess yet, but me think that it would have been easier to have started the project over!!

Gary Helmick
  • Spin Doctor
    • Nov 2002

Go to the store buy a new one and bury the old very very deep
    Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

• RPease
      • Dec 2001

Gary,

I sympathize with you. I remember putting sulphuric acid in one of my wife's glass baking bowls. She had a fit. Didn't understand the reasoning, I guess. I explained that I'd wash it after use, but that wasn't sufficient for her.....go figure?? She also didn't believe me when I said that I thought the "frosted" bowl looked better.

Afterwards, I bought some glass containers at a flea market, for my projects. She never borrows my stuff.......

BTW......Never put water into acid. Always put acid into water.

Regards.......Rodg
      RPease

Comment

• suprdvn
        • Mar 2004

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spin Doctor:
        Go to the store buy a new one and bury the old very very deep</font>
        LOL
        I found broken dishes buried in my back yard while digging a trench.
        Super Dave
        RapidtoCNC.com

Comment

• spope14
          • Dec 2001

Quick and check the internet for the nearest corningware outlet store near you, or where you can order various patterns from Corning. there are also some "re-sellers' of old pattern corning ware out there.

Meanwhile, you kind of "hide" the dish.

CCBW, MAH

Comment

Working...
          X