PDA

View Full Version : removing compound from southbend lathe

BillH
12-06-2004, 10:32 PM
When I first got the lathe, I tried removing it, and noticed one of the "feet" that sit ahead of the locking bolts that tighten down to lock the angle of compound in was stuck inside. There must be a bur on it or something, no amount of kroil is getting it out.
So how exactly do I get it out?
I Was thinking of using a metal rod with some jb weld on the end of it to stick it to the foot, and pull it out when after it dries.

Evan
12-07-2004, 02:34 AM
Bill,

I don't think that will work. I would lock down the compound with the one that works and then drill a hole in the "foot". Then screw in a bottoming tap until it bites well and use that to pull it out. For the drilling use a piece of brass tubing like they sell at the hobby shops slid over the bit to prevent the bit from trashing the threads. You have about 1/4 inch depth that you can drill without going through. Don't worry about trashing the part. You can make another.

BTW, the foot is actually called a "shoe" on the South bend parts list. Close.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 12-07-2004).]

Guero
12-07-2004, 06:28 AM
Might be a silly question, Bill, but the use of a strong "pencil" type magnet won't draw the shoe out? I have these types of shoes which lock the compound on my Myford and I'm able to pull them out with one of those small diameter magnets on the end of an extension rod.

SGW
12-07-2004, 06:36 AM
You should be able to remove the setscrew, then put in a brass rod or similar and tap out the shoe, if it's sticking. ???

Evan
12-07-2004, 09:23 AM
Nope, the shoe must be pulled out of the hole. It engages the cone shaped part (round dovetail) of the underside of the compound to hold the compound down and in place.

topct
12-07-2004, 11:18 AM
Bill, just took a look at my 9C. If you pull the compound off and remove the locking bolt it should just push right into the mounting hole. Mine did anyway. Maybe a longer 3\8 16 bolt will push it thru.

BillH
12-07-2004, 12:05 PM
The shoe is right against the compound, keeping my compound locked to the carriage, I cant remove the compound.
Thing is, I have no real reason to remove it, other than to clean it up a bit and go along with the slow restoration process. It's just something that is nagging me.

JCHannum
12-07-2004, 02:30 PM
Sometimes, a little lubrication on the spigot, and lifting while twisting the compound back & forth is all that is needed to remove it. Try turning the compound 180* to get to a less used (and abused) area when doing this.

SGW
12-07-2004, 02:44 PM
Ahhh...gotcha. I thought you could get the compound off, but that's the problem....

topct
12-07-2004, 02:49 PM
Bill, whoops, read you wrong. Evan has a good idea or maybe what JC suggests. Getting that off would be nice. I really like what Evan has been able to do with his lathe.

Jim Hubbell
12-07-2004, 04:54 PM
Try removing the screw and filling the hole with light grease. Then use the screw to force the grease into and around the "shoe". It may take a while but will eventually loosen up the "shoe".

Evan
12-07-2004, 05:22 PM
It might work. But, the shoe is a pretty close fit in the casting. With a hex key screw it might be possible to apply enough force to crack the casting. I would go easy.

JRouche
12-07-2004, 05:48 PM
Bill, what have you tried to "grab" it with. I know there isn't much room to get any tools in there.

I have neodymium (rare earth) magnets I use. I would get one the size of pencil eraser, just smaller that the hole and try to grab it. I would wiggle the compound around while doing so, with plenty of your favorite oil (wd40, kroil, liquid wrench) saturating the area.

I would blow the hole out real good with compressed air incase there was junk blocking the exit, then re-oil. Maybe go in there with a scribe and clear the area all around the circumference of the pin or shoe. JRouche

BillH
12-07-2004, 06:07 PM
thanks all for the suggestions, I will try em, the magnet idea sounds like the easiest to try first.

Paul Alciatore
12-07-2004, 07:14 PM
I think I would squirt a lot of penetrating oil in the hole and let it soak overnight or even a day or two. Then try again. Mine came out easily but then a previous owner had done some repairs to the botton of the compound.

Paul A.