PDA

View Full Version : Let me show you……oops

suprdvn
12-07-2004, 10:53 AM
Let me show you……oops

I would like to hear stories of demonstrations gone bad.

My foreman was showing me how to knock the filings off of a file by banging it against a square corner and broke the file in half. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//rolleyes.gif

I was being taught to run a new CNC mill by a co-worker. He was showing how to move the quill and slammed a center drill into the work piece. Luckily the spindle was off and the drill slipped in the collet.

Another foreman was showing me how to use a floor scrubber. It had a 2ft. diameter disk brush and long handle. “Its perfectly safe. Watch, if I let go of the handle it shuts off.” he said, taking both hands off of the handle. The momentum from the rotating brush spins the whole thing 360 degrees and the handle comes around and whacks him in the leg. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif I had to hold back my laughter since he was limping for a while with lump on leg.

Bonus points if they were cocky before the demonstration.

Milacron of PM
12-07-2004, 11:16 AM
I like this one Posted by Machineman01 on the PM forum a few days ago

===============================

Probably the scariest accident I ever saw was a guy that was training me on my first day at a shop on a really big brake. He was showing me safety, and what NOT to do. Thought he was being funny, He said, "I dont ever want to see your machine looking like this, with tools all over it and stuff, keep it clean" so as a demonstration, he set my tools where the bending die goes, including my top toolbox. (a 3 drawer kennedy). Then he says, "and dont Ever put a body part in between this thing, or it wont be part of your body anymore" and being funny, he stuck his body under it, laughing saying "see dont ever do this" and just that second, the power went out. This machine was running at the time. Somehow, the whole thing dropped right on him, Man, I cant explain how I felt at that second. I thought he was dead then he was swearing and screaming but I still thought he was done for. Couldnt see too good only the emergency lights were on and not too bright. Only thing I thought to do was run to the forklift and get it over here to try to lift it. Well I did that even though I knocked over a barrel of oil and other stuff getting to the brake, I lifted it, and he stood up then dropped to the ground. He was actually fine, but passed out I guess just from the situation. Somehow the toolbox was enough to hold most of the weight off him. It didnt drop under power, just under its own weight. That was quite a while ago. After that the machine was replaced with a new one. I really dont know how it dropped, even though the power went out, or the workings of it. I had pictures, but there was an investigation over it and they wanted them and kept them. Seems that a guy lost his arm years before I worked there and the company was supposed to put a laser sensor on the machine, and even though this "Almost" accident was pure stupidity, they still got in trouble. But would that have even helped since the power went out? Don't know much about those machines, I'm more of a lathe and mill guy. It was at a smaller place here in Pittsburgh a few years back.

Steuermann
12-07-2004, 11:32 AM
You didn't specify which field, so here goes:

Back when I was teaching high school biology, I was giving a safety talk to my class prior to their dissecting a formaldehyde preserved clam. I told them not to hold the clam like this way and slide the knife in here thus and so because if you do, the knife will slip and . . . just as I said that, the point of the knife slipped and embedded itself into the palm of my hand. It didn't hurt (then), so I deadpanned it and held up my profusely bleeding hand and explained that I hoped this demonstration might keep them from doing this to themselves. You could have heard a pin drop. A few years later I left teaching and became a pharmaceutical chemist. Much safer profession!

BillH
12-07-2004, 11:57 AM
My dad was working on a new dental vacum design in the garage, really big pvc tank, told me to put my hand on the intake to test the vacum, in only a few moments, saw the sides of the tank bow in, and the tank imploded sending plastic pieces all over the garage.

Milacron of PM
12-07-2004, 12:09 PM
When I was a teenager I was watching an infomercial on TV having to do with raising chinchillas ("bie money in chinshilla pelts" :rolleyes http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif. Back then these sorts of things were live. The moderator picked up a chinchilla to talk about how friendly and easy they were to keep and the little bugger bit the cr*p outta his hand, blood dripping on the table...LMAO http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

jburstein
12-07-2004, 12:29 PM
steuermann--you told my story first!
Only I was the student in this one. We were about to dissect pig hearts, and we were getting a safety demonstration on how to use a scalpel. The teacher starts to cut towards himself, and of course it slips, and he stabbed himself in the arm. He reacted in about the same way you describe: "oh. That's how not to do that." Then he turned white.

-Justin

JRouche
12-07-2004, 12:50 PM
Last year I was putting up Christmas lights, the small type that usually go on the tree, while my 4yr old boy was watching.

I was telling him about safety with ladders and such. We were checkin the bulbs with the juice on, cause thats how you check-em.

There was a broken bulb, flush with the socket. So with my learnin little boy watchin, I stick the energized socket into my greedy mouth, thinkin I'm gonna grab the rest of the broken plastic bulb with my teeth. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif

120vac to my lips and tongue while the boy is watchin and learnin, lookin at me dance, thinkin this is how we do it.

Needless to say I got loose and nobody found out what happened. Christmas lights can be dangerous in the wrong hands. JRouche

Tinkerer
12-07-2004, 01:18 PM
Well this popped into my head when I read this thread...

Long ago when I had no gray hair I had a buddy named Paul... he had just finished taking and passing the electrical inspectors certification test. He was always going on about treat all lines like they were "LIVE". Well I had this sign I need to install and Paul offered to help me out. I had set the footer and poles earlier. We placed the sign between the poles... he asked me about the feed for the electric and I said it was stubbed in front of the bush behind the back pole be careful it could be hot ( old sign feed already there open box wires hanging out no caps or anything ) . Paul looks at me after finding it and said " No one would leave a line energized in this state... no caps... tape or anything and if it had been live most likely the breaker tip long ago. I said should test it to be sure or handle it as if it was LIVE... I told 'em I'll get the tester out of the truck better safe the sorry. OK now the ground was wet... Paul kneels down looks right at me... " Don't waste your time getting the tester... it's off one way or the other " and proceeds to grab the leads between both of his thumbs and fingers... ZAP... Ouch... the @$%#!* f8*% thing is on. I swear his hair stood on end and smoke was coming out his ears. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif He finally lets go. I asked.. you OK.. he said http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//mad.gif JUST FINE as he was shaking his hands and rubbing his arms. I laughed my ass off rerunning the image thru my mind as I told him ALWAYS TREAT EVERY LINE LIKE IT'S LIVE... that's what your always saying. Then I asked him to do that again so I could get it on film this time Mr. E.I. Hahaha. We hooked up the leads the sign snapped on and finally the photo eye kicked in and shut it off. You know what... that breaker never did trip.

Tim

Wayne02
12-07-2004, 01:25 PM
How not to hold a construction crew meeting.

There was this construction site where the foreman was holding a meeting. All the workers were gathered around, the foreman was standing just to the side of his crew cab (four door) pick-up truck conducting the meeting.

Foreman was chewing the crews arse up one side and down the other. I forget what the issue was at the time, coming in late or something. He was really going off on these guys.

When he finishes his spiel, he turns on his heals and stomps over to the the truck. He proceeds to get in the rear door and slam it shut...

He sits in the back seat staring straight ahead for just a second, realizing what he had done. Then gets out, slams the rear door shut, gets in the front seat, slams that door, and drives off in a hail of gravel and dust.

Wayne

Arcane
12-07-2004, 05:11 PM
"Christmas lights can be dangerous in the wrong hands. JRouche" ...or mouth http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Arcane
12-07-2004, 05:17 PM
Wayne, same thing happened to me years ago, our foreman chewed us out one fine morning for not paying attention to what we were doing (so he thought). Then he stomped across the yard and hopped into the back seat of the crewcab to drive off. Whoops!

ibewgypsie
12-07-2004, 05:38 PM
How about a millionaire wanting a woman to work faster on a "new" sample machine. It had a pneumatic press that came down and punched squares out of hand-fed carpet, no safeties.

He was after her to speed up, showing her how fast he could do it. SUre enough he cut all the fingers off one hand. I sure admired him as he went over calmly, called the ambulance, called the hospital told them his blood type and he was on his way and which doctor he wanted to try to reconnect them. Then he passed out.

His fingers? I put them in his shirt pocket wrapped in a baggie to keep them fresh.. Made sure to tell the ambulance drivers where they were. They all took and rehooked just fine.

The woman? she refused to run the machine till proper safeties were installed. (two mushroom switches, one on each side for each hand) I installed them myself.

David

JRouche
12-07-2004, 05:55 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ibewgypsie:
It had a pneumatic press that came down and punched squares out of hand-fed carpet, no safeties.David</font>

Oh man those punches are dangerous. I see a bunch of used "flywheel" type forsale and wonder how many folks they have "bitten".

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ibewgypsie:
His fingers? I put them in his shirt pocket wrapped in a baggie to keep them fresh..
David</font>

You can keep meat fresh with a little lime or lemon juice too, and it adds a good flavor. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif
JRouche

[This message has been edited by JRouche (edited 12-07-2004).]

lotsa luck
12-07-2004, 05:58 PM
Not machine related but I got a great laugh from it...

I make a living in the sign biz and therefore run a lot of cranes (management now over other operators). About 6 years back another journeyman who was always trying to get my newer/better rig was showing his new rigger how to setup the crane while in the yard. Without first doing a complete walkaround he deployed the first outrigger. I could see it clearly from my position but he was totally blind to it and certainly was not going to heed any of my hand signals. After all outriggers were taking the entire weight of the 120,000 pound truck. With all wheels off the ground. His new helper decided to join with my laughter at seeing this "jorneyman's" imaculately kept, 6 drawer, tool box crushed like road kill under the FIRST outrigger that went down.

About 3 months later the "new guy" was setting up the same truck while the same "journeyman with all the cool bent tools" was standing beside an allready extended, but not lowered, outrigger on the opposite side of the truck. The rigger went down and the truck lifted just fine, but where was the "journeyman" now? He was curled up like a baby on the ground balling over the fact that his big toe was holding up 120,000 pounds of truck! Yep, that was the last job they had working with cranes for us and now are with the competitor.
Stay safe

spope14
12-07-2004, 08:40 PM
Those stories remind me why I am really cautious in my demonstrations. each one is tried out and double checked for safety before hand. HOWEVER, little unexpected things happen: Two small ones and a big one.

1. This year - showing how to cut a shoulder in aluminum, final climb cut .010 depth, .010 on the side..Part shifts in the vise, blew an endmill and the finished part.

2. Once did a demo, saw this when I was a pup, thought it was real cool and effective. Run a hot dog through a jointer to show hat will remain of the finger. years later as a very young teacher in wood shop, I get the "great idea' to do this. All is real clean, and the catch box for the chips cleaned out. Did this, looked up, an he biggest meanest football playing badass in my class wavered a bit, then fell on the floor passed right out. Year one of my teaching career, thought it was over. Still hear about this, for this is the stuff legends are made of.

Big one.

3. Showing how to do length offsets touching on a CNC mill, I use a 1" gauge block. I keep the block clar when lowering or raising the part. 1/8 ball end mill, do the demo, check th stuent, all is well. he does this independent, and rams th ball end mill right into the block he forgot to move. Ball n mill breaks right off, the end mill end flys through the room, hits a window 4 x 8 that seperates th classroom from the shop floor - 40 feet away. tempered glass does not take well to impact, smashed it all up right and proper, the largest piece about 2 inches. Still have that piece 12 years later, This happened 6 hours before our schools (new 12 years back) grand opening tours to the public. my boss was NOT IMPRESSED. Cleaned glass pieces out of computers for three years.

Nobody hurt. I do Pray for safety daily for my shop, and thank God daily at the end of the day for safety provided. Who says there is no prayer in schools?

ibewgypsie
12-07-2004, 10:02 PM
J:.. YOu mean them Flywheel punches?

Once they start nothing will stop them from cycling. A lil bitty prox switch replaced a mechanical switch on that one. You know the cylinder like one that senses RF from the "target" and amplifies it from a shielded antennae into the transistor to make a relay? THAT ONE, YEP..

Lady had her hands in punch press changing parts, machine cycled, cut both hands off.

They called me to certify machine, ascertain the reason for the malfunction, sign papers. BEFORE THE ENGINEER GOT THERE.

I look up and down the line, see the bright new cord on the prox. Yep, only one on all the machines. Take a piece of conduit, tap on prox. Machine cycles through.
Sometimes re-engineering has a price.

Next bloody job? The ESI Tufting machine w/automatic needle up option. Machine rolls around slowly till the needle bars are on top. In the plc the software "estop" the young engineer programmed a N-Open contact in the pendant Estop circuit. Lady, heavy lady is bending over the roll, pulls plug in control switch out of socket. Estop N-Open contact is now open, machine rolls over piercing her hands before someone pulls main. Fire department cuts $100,000 needle bar with saw, take her to the hospital with needles still in hand.
Engineer was fired. Back then a "hard wired" estop was supposed to be in every circuit. A Normally_Closed button, if the button fails the machine won't run. Simple logic.
What do I do when I design a circuit? Of course, a N-C estop w.hard wired relay. Thou the Neca recomendation has altered they tell me. I am a old guy with old ideals.

I can keep on telling bloody tales from 30 years of plant construction/maintenance. I try to be careful, scared like looking around all the time like a rabbit.. What if.. hey.. what if... Hey, is that the shadow of a "hawk?" OMG, where is the hole....

You can't be scared all the time, but you must be aware all the time.

Sometimes you have to look at the people around you and judge thier I.Q. and the tasks they are doing.

------------------
David Cofer, Of:
Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

Carl
12-07-2004, 11:43 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Arcane:
"Christmas lights can be dangerous in the wrong hands. JRouche" ...or mouth http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif</font>

Reminds me of Clark Griswold.

http://www.haikosfilmlexikon.de/comedy/st/schrill2.JPG

barts
12-08-2004, 01:43 AM
After years of robotics, computer software and
CNC demos, one learns to say nothing more
predictive about a demo than:

"Watch this!".

Seems to fit most outcomes.

- Bart

.RC.
12-08-2004, 03:36 AM
An old bloke told me this story from his younger days. At the place where he was working they hired this dark bloke to cut scrap steel up on this guillotine.

He was working away chopping up the scrap when he grabbed an old guillotine blade someone threw in the pile. Machine cycled on it, almighty bang castings on the machine snapped.

He told me it was the first black fella he had seem turn white.

radish1us
12-08-2004, 05:05 PM
When an apprentice, being shown how to operate a BIG russian built lathe, 4ft swing x 20ft bed, fella was showing me how easy it was to bring this gig chuck to a stand still from full on forward to a dead stop. Just jamb the forward lever into reverse, did it a couple of times and then the bloody great big chuck unscrewed itself and did a dance all over the workshop floor. Must have been 10 fellas or more doing a merry dance to get out of the way of that big sucker as it bounced of the walls and machines. We ALL got directions that we were NEVER to do that again.
This one is more of a "told you so" than an "oops"
New fella started on the machines, straight from college. Turned up to work wearing a long sleeve shirt, unbuttoned at the front and sleeves as well. Monday, told to button-up the shirt and sleeves and tuck the shirt in. Tuesday, told the same, Wednesday, told the same. Thursday, I started an hour early,new bloke came up to me about ten minutes after his starting time and was as white as a ghost and only wearing a 't' shirt and looking like he '****' his pants. Asked 'whats wrong' and he points towards the lathe he was working. Walk over to the lathe and 'low and behold', here is this 'turkeys' shirt wrapped around the LEAD SCREW, ask what happened and he says'dunno'. Later on he tells what happened. He bends forward to look at how the job was going and the lead screw grabbed the shirt tails and in he goes. He did not go all the way, as he was a strong young fella and was able to stand up straight and RIP the shirt into two bits down the middle of his back and then TEAR the sleeves of it as well, marvellous what strength you can aquire thru FEAR. The rest of the time that fella worked there, he wore coveralls, buttoned up tight, NO matter how hot it got, never took them of till it was time to go home.

ERBenoit
12-09-2004, 12:21 PM
From my senior year in high/trade school. Academics/shop rotated on a six week cycle. When the freshmen begin their high/trade school years, they spend about 5-7 days (exploratory) in each of the thirteen shops (with the senoirs, ha, ha), to see if the trade interests them. The last six weeks of their freshman year they are,(if they are lucky), in their shop of choice. Enough of that. On one particular exploratory groups last day in machine shop, I was using one of the two Cincinati horizontal mills. A classmate, (dolt, really) was climb milling on a piece of steel on the other. One of the freshmen was observing and asking questions about what he was doing. Freshman: Man, could you imagine if you ever got caught in there. Senior: What, like this? Thrusting his finger toward the cutter. When he pulled his hand back, his finger was about 1/4" shorter than it was two seconds ago. No yelling or screaming from either of them. He shuts off the mill, wraps his finger in pieces of rag and paper towels, then wanders around the remainder of the day with his hand in his pockets. I have seen some stupid actions, that rates right up there. Dared not tell the instructor what he had just done, or try to explain it as an accident. When someone screwed up, (stupidity, not learning), the power would go out. Reason: The instructor would be on the shops main disconnect. If you were the reason he was on the disconnect, you had it rough the next few days.

[This message has been edited by ERBenoit (edited 12-09-2004).]

.RC.
12-09-2004, 03:08 PM
Shirt in feed screw been there done that. My lathes got a foot brake though hit the brake hit reverse and out it came.

Another good one from my inexperianced youth years. Using 1/4 HSS in a holder. Nah I don't need eye protection with HSS. Had a dig in HSS broke and flew into the corner of my eye near my nose. No damage done but took a bit of pulling out it was a large piece about 3/16" long.

Suffice to say there are now 4 pairs of safety glasses in my shop.