PDA

View Full Version : Tailstock turret??

torker
12-10-2004, 08:10 PM
I've searched through this and other forums for real info on these and there isn't much. The best one...a poster asked the same questions I am and the post died there. I'm talking about the type that slide into a MT2 tailstock and have six tool holders. How do you line these things up? Would you run the center drill into a drilled piece held in the chuck and lock it? And the tool holes...they are 5/8". I have a 5/8" boring bar but that is it. How are you supposed to hold center drills, small drills, etc. in the 5/8" holes? Are they really any good? Some days when doing runs of small parts I feel like I'm going to wear my fingers off changing tools and I'm thinking these things are pretty reasonably priced and may be worthwhile. Any thoughts on these? Thanks!
Russ

daryl bane
12-10-2004, 11:04 PM
Unless all of your tooling is 5/8", you have to make little bushings 5/8" OD and whatever ID for the tools you are going to use, taps, center drills, etc. Its not as bad as it sounds, especially if you have a large run of parts. It will really save some time. The imported tool itself is close enough for general work but if it has to be more accurate, here is what I did. Mount blank (undrilled) bushings in the turret holes. Put a center drill in a collet chuck on the spindle. Now spot drill all of the bushings, as you index the turret. Then finish out the holes at whatever dia. you need, the same way. Scribe a mark, so that each bushing can be accurately replaced in its mated hole. Use setscrews to hold the tools in the bushings. I like two per at 90 degrees. Each of the turret holes, in the forward position, will be centered to the centerline of the spindle, no matter how the turret is aligned. It can be upside down, and the forward hole of the turret will be aligned. I hope this has been clear and is some help.

torker
12-10-2004, 11:22 PM
daryl...thanks! It makes sense now. I was wondering if you had to make bushings. I never thought of the "any position aspect". that's what confused me on positioning...duh!!! Dang...I watched one go for peanuts on ebay the other day because I wasn't sure how they worked.
Russ

Rich Carlstedt
12-11-2004, 12:26 AM
They use 5/8 holes, because tht was the standard (sort of !) for small screw machines, and a lot of tooling was/is made with 5/8 shanks..like box tools and Geometric die heads..
Look for screw machine tooling on eBay, and you may be surprised..

torker
12-11-2004, 06:40 AM
Thanks Rich! Was wondering about the 5/8" size also. I looked in KBC's catalog but don't see much in the way of screw machine tooling with 5/8" shanks. I have seen the tooling on Ebay though but couldn't see the purpose of it.

Al Messer
12-11-2004, 08:37 AM
If you want a challenge, "The Amateur's Lathe" by L. H. Sparey, page 59, shows how to make one to fit your own lathe and you can make the holes any diameter you wish. I made mine 3/8" as most of what I do is small stuff. I drilled the holes the very last thing after everything else was completed by using the center drill from the headstock chuck method. That way, each hole is aligned with its respective detent in the indexing mechanism.

quasi
12-11-2004, 04:27 PM
if you live in Canada Busy Bee has a mt2 one on sale till the end of December, they are out of stock at the store in Calgary.

Frank Ford
12-11-2004, 05:04 PM
I have and use the Grizzly one (50 bucks, #2 MT). It's great for multiple drilling operations. For one job, I set it up with 3 chucks I got cheap on eBay, one with center drill, two with drills for the stepped hole I was doing in a couple dozen repetitive parts. Don't know why, but I was able to get 3 Albrecht 3/8" chucks for relatively little and each was fitted with a straight 5/8" arbor that fit the turret.

torker
12-11-2004, 05:18 PM
Al...I have that book but never paid any attention to the plans for the turret. Wish I had time to build one but they are so cheap now I'd be money ahead to buy one.
quassi...yup..I do live in BC...That's why I was wondering because BB has them on awful cheap right now. Too bad about Calgary, I always order my stuff from that store...usually get it overnight.
Frank...That's exactly why I want one! Thanks all!
Russ