PDA

View Full Version : 1.5 kw 28 volt generators...

hoffman
12-11-2004, 08:31 PM
I acquired 2 little mil. surplus generators. They have cool Wisconsin 2 cylinder engines but I'm not sure what to do with them. Any ideas? I don't have a 110v generator and I was thinking about hooking one to an inverter. They have a pot to adjust the voltage.

------------------
Hoffman in Warner Robins Ga

wierdscience
12-11-2004, 08:54 PM
DC or AC? Some are AC,but are also 400hertz.

If they are 400hertz you can make a niffty induction heating furnace http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gifBut don't hook them onto anything 60 hertz,if you do it will run really good.....for about 10 seconds before the smoke gets out http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

You may come out ahead and buy a generator from somebody like surplus center or nothern tool,one of the belt drive models and use it direct drive through a shaft coupling.

Thrud
12-11-2004, 09:10 PM
Rectify it, then invert it.

Once properly rectified you can either use a large 2kVA ups to convert it back to useable AC directly of by building your own circuitry.

I am sure you can get a commercial inverter somewhere for the unit - sounds like it would make a good portable welder if nothing else. Those Wisconsin engines can be a PITA to rebuild when they go south on you - I never liked the ones in the swathers (V-4). Pretty goofy engines.

hoffman
12-11-2004, 09:58 PM
I was thinking about a welder but it only says 50 amps. They look like pretty neat little OHV engines. 16 cu.

------------------

wierdscience
12-11-2004, 10:11 PM
Dave is right on them Wisconsin engines,the two cylinders and singles are good,but the v-4's POS.

We had one on a bailer when I was little,learn all my cuss words from grandpa while he worked on it.

1975 model machine and the bastard had babbitted rods.It would burn a rod bearing ever 500 bales.

And you would not believe the parts prices.I have a five cylinder radial air compressor thats driven by a v-4.The engine grenaded itself.A re-man from the dealer is only $5600 http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gifthat for a lousey 30hp engine.
Screw that,I'm putting a 3cylinder Perkins in it,I can rebuild one of those complete including machine work for $900,plus do it in one day.

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 12-11-2004).]

jfsmith
12-11-2004, 10:15 PM
I remeber seeing those in the military, some field tech was running a funny looking electric drill off of one of those.

This was a part of the time that 24 volts was the the standard for the military.

Jerry

ibewgypsie
12-11-2004, 10:19 PM
I recently purchased two generators, still w/packaging and warranty 8,000 watts, never had fuel put in them.. $400 each.

Resold both. He had a Mucho larger 2 cyl model w/electric start for $650. That was a week ago thou. I was sick in bed that day, didn't even look it over.

I think the world got overstocked on generators after the Y2K thing never happened, people returned them and got a refund.

With deals like that floating around, why work on one?

David

J Tiers
12-12-2004, 12:31 AM
Dunno, I have an Eclipse aircraft or tank generator that is 28V DC at some large amperage, but no motor attached at the moment.

I have never been able to find any info on mine, all they have is a bunch of contract numbers etc. Typical military stuff.

Internet searches for info on it did find me a PBY for sale, but I didn't want that (search found the two gens that were spares for it).

What mine will end up as is a recharger for the battery bank, in case the sun isn't out enough when I need the batteries I use to power a 2.5 KW inverter in the shed. Also, if I can find out the amperage and other data, I figure to make a welder out of it, so I get double-duty.

hoffman
12-12-2004, 10:04 AM
How would you go about turning one into a welder? It's 28v 50 a 1.5 kw. Not that I'll do it any time soon but just wondering for the sake of discussion. My wife says it's like sanford and son out in the shop...

------------------

J Tiers
12-12-2004, 10:19 AM
You would need a field control to set the voltage / max current, and probably a simple arc stability inductor. Beyond that there no doubt would be niceties that I don't appreciate, as I am no welder....and there are NO courses anywhere nearby.

Because I have that generator, and a spare Kohler engine, I figured to add the capability, scratching around until I figure out what's up with it.

A neighbor who is no mechanic and not much of a tool-user, paradoxically CAN weld, and so I figure to swap some instruction for repairs and use of ladders, etc. (He has had one ladder, worklight, heatgun and small shear for a year on a long drawn out renovation project.)