PDA

View Full Version : Need to glue HSS to Aluminum 6061

Mesnik
12-06-2004, 07:28 PM
I need to glue a HSS shim to an aluminum block of 6061 grade. I have tried Epoxy with FG and also the Last Glue (supposed to glue it all). I cannot add much more thickness to it either. I also don't need any strengh as far as pull or tear - just enough for the shim to stay in place.

Thanks for the help!!
Roberto

HTRN
12-06-2004, 07:30 PM
Have you tried Cyanoacrylate?

HTRN

------------------
This Old Shed (http://http:thisoldshed.tripod.com/enter.htm)

rotate
12-06-2004, 07:53 PM
Try polyurithane glue. Why was epoxy not adequate?

WJHartson
12-06-2004, 08:22 PM
A good contact cement would hold it in place if you don't need any strength.

Joe

rsr911
12-06-2004, 09:12 PM
Right up my alley since I work in the adhesives industry.

I have had sucess with JB weld epoxy. Also cyanoacrylate (super glue) as suggested will work. A good PSA (pressure sensitive adhesive) will also work well provided it's applied right. Any chance you could heatseal it under some pressure? I have a fantastic heatseal adhesive I could give you, you'd have to heat it to about 400F then let it cool with a weight on it. JB weld would be your easiest option but you'll want about 0.001" thickness minimum for a good bond. Also clean the metal very well with a brush followed by MEK or similar.

darryl
12-06-2004, 11:49 PM
I would be highly tempted to use a contact cement, one that doesn't get brittle, and probably one that is solvent based.

JRouche
12-07-2004, 10:48 AM
Silver solder.
I agree, super glue should work fine. Remember to clean the heck outta it. You will need to clamp it very tight to get a minimum joint thickness and strenth. I would let it sit for several hours if time is not an issue.
JRouche

[This message has been edited by JRouche (edited 12-07-2004).]

gunsmith
12-07-2004, 06:46 PM
Have you tried double sidded tape? The type we use for holding thin parts when we machine them. Super powerfull and it stands some detergent as well.

Mesnik
12-12-2004, 07:18 PM
Thanks for all the tips. I tried CA but I might not have waited long enough - Patience, who needs it, right?
I wil also try the JB and double face tape.

RSR911 - Thanks for the offer. Let me try these options first and if they don't work I will take up your offer.

Happy holidays and I will report back!!!
R.