PDA

View Full Version : Weird dividing head...

hoffman
12-12-2004, 08:37 PM
I found a dividing head that is kind of strange. The dividing plate and handle are 90 deg. from the chuck but it is canted up at about a 45 deg angle. It also has a 45 deg. gear directly under the plate. If it were bolted to the table of a mill with the chuck pointed to the right (Operator directly in front of the mill) the plate/handle would be in front of the operator and angled up 45 deg. from the table.
Sorry if I described it sort of confusingly...
Just wondering about it. The chuck can also be angled up and has a degree wheel.
Thanks.

------------------
Hoffman in Warner Robins Ga

jfsmith
12-12-2004, 08:52 PM
Any pictures???

Jerry

hoffman
12-12-2004, 09:12 PM
No pics. But I'll take some and post.

------------------
Hoffman in Warner Robins Ga

vmil3
12-13-2004, 02:19 AM
It sounds like my Pedersen Universal Dividing Head. The bevel gears behind the plate are for coumpound and differential indexing. You can gear it to the table, or for differential indexing, a lever at the top of the plate is fliped up to allow the plate to rotate, this is done by having a shaft that fits in the back of the spindle, a gear train then conects the back of the spindle to the bevel gears which rotate the plate. ( I used this to cut some 127 tooth gears )

------------------
Doug

Spin Doctor
12-13-2004, 06:00 AM
Could of been a set-up fro cutting bevel gears with the pitch line at 45D to the axis