PDA

View Full Version : OT but good news

Paul Gauthier
12-13-2004, 05:47 PM
Scott Peterson was sentenced to death. There is justice after all.

------------------
Paul G.

Spin Doctor
12-13-2004, 06:11 PM
I know one guy ticked off about the verdict. Not that he got death but they pre-empted Jeapordy for it. I figure the defense went to too many witnesses in the penalty phase. Just the mother might of been enough. Of course with the appeal process it will take ten years even if he ever is executed

NAMPeters
12-13-2004, 06:52 PM
The appeal process is reported to take 27 years, so why bother with the death penalty?

------------------
Neil Peters

[This message has been edited by NAMPeters (edited 12-13-2004).]

kevinro
12-13-2004, 07:20 PM
I heared on a radio show several weeks ago that if you were to add up all of the individual 1-2 minute media stories about this case (times 1000 TV stations), and the 3 or 4 - 1 hour cable segments each week about this case, and calculated how many hours of public broadcast were dedicated to it, you end up with almost 100,000 hrs of broadcast time. Thats sick.

Sigh,
Kevin

wierdscience
12-13-2004, 07:36 PM
Yes it is sick.Welcome to the world of media fodder.Those annoying stories that won't go away.
Don't worry though,Michael Jackson's pervert trial will soon begin,we will have round the clock media coverage for that one,I am positive.
I swear,its like Scott Petterson was the only guy in history to murder his wife.I feel sorry for her and her family,but is it worthy of non-stop 24/7 news coverage?
Like I said awhile back,it doesn't matter if an asteroid hits earth and kills half the population we will have the Scott Peterson trial news first! Rant mode off:

BillH
12-13-2004, 07:39 PM
Theres going to be some sick stuff thats going to come out into public eye with the Michael Jackson case, not like we didnt think he was loony already.

canonicalman
12-13-2004, 07:40 PM
WAY TOO OFF TOPIC!!!

charlie coghill
12-13-2004, 07:43 PM
No one seems to think about Scots family. I feel sorry for all the heartbreak that he has put his family through.

I am suprised that he got the death penality.
Charlie

Al Flipo
12-13-2004, 07:47 PM
Sentencing someone to death is a serious thing, since there is at least some doubt (however little) whether or not he actually did it, a life term would be more appropriate in this case.

andy_b
12-13-2004, 09:40 PM
i believe the criteria for conviction is "beyond a reasonable doubt", not "beyond all doubt". the latter is the reason OJ is still free.

andy b.

toolmakerjim
12-14-2004, 01:09 AM
i think the reason he got the death penalty is because his wife was a productive part of society and well liked by anyone she came in contact with. if laci had been a woman of color or unattractive there would never had been the media coverage or outrage from the community that there was.
personally i think he should be handcuffed and let laci's mother spend an hour alone with him with a baseball bat...jim

wierdscience
12-14-2004, 08:39 AM
This raises the question of how anyone can get a fair trial with the media blasting the news 24/7.Practically everybody reads thepaper,watches tv or surfs the web,can they really find 12 jurors that were living in a cave during all the media coverage?

This also is another reason why the media should not have an opinion.Just the facts please,leave out the speculation.

Maybe we should ask for a constitutional ammendment to ban media coverage of elections and trials until they are over.

Isn't that the way it used to be?Elections before the TV era were over before the paper was read.And cameras were not allowed in court rooms until recent years.That wasn't a bad idea I'm thinking.

bspooh
12-14-2004, 08:45 AM
I agree, too much media influences people...

He was found guilty, therefore he deserves to die.

brent

andypullen
12-14-2004, 11:22 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by toolmakerjim:
i think the reason he got the death penalty is because his wife was a productive part of society and well liked by anyone she came in contact with. if laci had been a woman of color or unattractive there would never had been the media coverage or outrage from the community that there was.
personally i think he should be handcuffed and let laci's mother spend an hour alone with him with a baseball bat...jim</font>

I would have to chuckle at Jim's last statement here.

But, there was an 8 year old girl of color who was brually murdered in the county that I live in a little over a year ago. A friend of mine prosecuted the case in the next county which is known for "going easy" on muderers. He got death for his punishment. So, I can't agree with the person of color statement. It was a violent act and deserves the ultimate penalty.

And the media needs to get off its ivory tower; so to speak and just do what it is supposed to do and report the facts WITHOUT the spin. The jackson case is going to be another circus, most likely like oj.

Scott may not survive in prison before the sentence is carried out. I've heard that child molesters and child killers get the worst treatment from fellow inmates. (deservedly so IMHO) A good example is Jeffry Dahmer. I don't know where he (Scott) falls in that scheme of things.

Andy Pullen

------------------
Clausing 10x24, SBL 14.5x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, B'port

JCHannum
12-14-2004, 11:40 AM
Changed my mind.

[This message has been edited by JCHannum (edited 12-14-2004).]

toolmakerjim
12-14-2004, 12:11 PM
i meant no racial statement, just basing my opinion in brevard co. fl.
10 yrs. ago there was a string of murders of women ranging from 20's thru 40's. the sherrif at the time when asked about the ongoing investigation stated. "these are just crack w****s nobody's goin to miss them anyway" thank God he was voted out the next election. the murderer was never found.
kudos to your prosecutor friend...jim

Spin Doctor
12-14-2004, 04:35 PM
The next major trial that will hit the media is the Deer Hunter Massacre in Wisconsin. I just hope and pray they don't move the trial to my county.

------------------
If we lie to ourselves, what lies will we willingly tell to others

meho
12-14-2004, 05:18 PM
I don't believe in the death penalty. However I don't loose sleep over it either. It would be nice to see prisons made a bit less... comfortable for the inmates. No AC, TV, bland food, sleep without a pad and such. Mandatory reading and education. I guess that would be inhumane though. There is a jail out west in the USA that puts inmates in a fenced in area in army tents and feeds them baloney sandwiches. Very cost effective.

James

wierdscience
12-14-2004, 11:41 PM
Here the juvies used to go to school(at the jail)in the morning,and then chop weeds till sundown.It worked good,only one snag,very few juvies would get in trouble in the first place,so there was always a shortage of them to chop weeds.

But then someboby decided it was cruel to make them work,so now they lounge around,watch tv,play video games and play basketball while they wait for thier vacation to end.

Andy P,darn right,we had a few years back a man who raped and mudered a 9 year old girl.He went to prison for life,then about six years in he got mixed in with the rest of the prisoners one of which was on death row for captial murder,he was promptly killed by the rest of the inmates.They don't even like someone who would kill a child.

Spin doc,just find some land for the tv networks to park thier trailers on,$1500 per month,per trailer sounds about right http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

ibewgypsie
12-15-2004, 12:05 AM
All a point of perspective..

This lil girl Amber, crappy family torturing her, she was a pretty 18, got a real good job with my wife. She was so unhappy she tried to kill herself. Took a wad of pills, went out driving, had a accident and was in a coma. I felt so sorry for her. She had my heart tore out. She is now out of her coma and sitting up and acting almost normal again..

Perspective? The accident she had involved a 5 person family going out to eat. They had a head on collision with her. Everyone needed hospital treatments, a few stayed overnight.

I don't feel so sorry for her now. Perspective.. How would you like for your apple of your eye to turn out to be a Monster?

IF he did take that lil bitty boat out and dump her body, he has more balls than I do. Can you imagine the waves? man what a ride.

RUmor says he was suspected of doing this once before. who knowes about that? anyone?

To convict someone as a monster, first you paint the picture of them doing horrific things. Real or not, lots of crying victims telling all about "thier" life changing events.

David

BillH
12-15-2004, 12:18 AM
I remember my dad and I driving out to Rhode Island and launching our 15ft grumman and going over to Fishermans Island to fish for bluefish.
Thinking about it now, that was pure material for a Darwin Award! Was fun though, caught some snappers.
THe jurors said it. He showed no emotion during the trial, but when it came to his own ass, he showed emotion. So he is not the type that hide s emotion. GUILTY

rsr911
12-15-2004, 12:54 AM
Hmmm, I support the death penalty but I don't believe it should apply in this case. I also think Scott is guilty but not without reasonable doubt. Add to that all the media and the jury had to be biased going in. I say put him in prison for life, maybe later we find out he didn't do it or find further proof that he did, either way he's off the streets and would probably die in prison anyway. I read somewhere that DNA testing has freed more people than it's convicted, that was a few years ago so it might be different now. The point is the system is too imperfect and the death penalty is final, it should be reserved for cases in which there is absolutely no doubt, not just reasonable doubt. As for me I'm just glad the bulk of the coverage is over, I'm sick of hearing about this case.

------------------
-Christian D. Sokolowski

BillH
12-15-2004, 12:57 AM
Ironic thing is that death penalty would be far safer for him. Life in prison, some one will kill him.

Evan
12-15-2004, 01:01 AM
Nothing to do with this story is good news.

rsr911
12-15-2004, 02:53 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evan:
Nothing to do with this story is good news. </font>

Excellent point.

------------------
-Christian D. Sokolowski

Doc Nickel
12-15-2004, 04:51 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BillH:
Ironic thing is that death penalty would be far safer for him. Life in prison, some one will kill him.</font>

-I beg to differ. Chuck Manson is still alive, hale and hearty.

His victims have been dead for thirty-five years, while Chuck gets three nice squares a day, plenty of reading material, and even got (in an account he can't touch) royalties from a Guns & Roses song he supposedly wrote.

If he weren't so bat-s**t insane, he could have been paroled ten years ago. And a good publicist could make him a multi-millionaire in about ninety minutes after that.

Put that in your "no death penalty" pipe and smoke it.

Had Oswald not been shot by Ruby, anyone want to guess how many years or decades he'd have lived in prison? Sure, it's Texas, but with a good lawyer and "reasonable shadow of a doubt" (just drag in the police searches of the "well dressed hoboes" or the supposed "second gunman" or whatever) he could easily still be alive and kicking, were it not for Jack.

Mr. Peterson needs a dose of Red China: Take him out back of the courthouse, put a bullet in his head, then send a bill for the cartridge to his family.

Doc.