PDA

View Full Version : foam rubber instead of felt?

BillH
12-18-2004, 07:32 PM
I think the felt wipers on my southbend need to be replaced. Recently I bought a 2mm thick sheet of black foam rubber from Walmart under the brand name of "Foamies" for replacing all the light seals in a camera.
Is there any reason I should not not use this over felt?

lynnl
12-18-2004, 07:37 PM
I'd think exposure to oil would cause most foam rubber mat'l to deteriorate pretty quickly.

gunsmith
12-18-2004, 07:58 PM
Lynnl is dead right. I have seen that stuff turn to liqid rubber and smear itself all over the ways. eek!

CCWKen
12-18-2004, 07:59 PM
Ditto what Lynnl says. Oil and grease will turn foam rubber and most rubber into goo. If you don't want to use felt, try leather. I've been using leather on mine for the last couple of years. It makes a good wiper and chips don't stick to it like felt.

Don't throw those old boots away. My old Dingo's have been making seals and wipers for years. Smells like feet though. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

BillH
12-18-2004, 08:04 PM
Hehe, ok, thanks guys, I'll find some leather or felt.

lynnl
12-18-2004, 09:25 PM
For thicker leather, one could probably pick up some scraps of leather sole from a shoe repair shop. ...or for that matter just buy a blank sole from them.

ZINOM
12-19-2004, 01:53 AM
Shoe repair shop??

John

rsr911
12-19-2004, 02:35 AM
What about silicone rubber? In my experience it pretty oil and solvent resistant, same with EPDM. My Logan 10 doesn't have wipers so I've been thinking of making them.

------------------
-Christian D. Sokolowski

Thrud
12-19-2004, 05:43 AM
Get Buna-N or Viton for use as oil wipers or go to Teflon.

larry_g
12-19-2004, 12:35 PM
I think that one pont of the felt wiper is being overlooked here. The felt is a resivoir for oil and it works a bit like a paint brush in dispensing oil onto the way as is travels relative to the way. Get a lifetime supply felt from McMaster Carr for a few bucks and get on with it.
lg
no neat sig line

J Tiers
12-19-2004, 01:52 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rsr911:
My Logan 10 doesn't have wipers so I've been thinking of making them.

</font>

It is supposed to have.

You can't get the neat little formed metal covers anymore, but you CAN get the felt from Logan, pre-cut to shape.

Not hard to do though, and you might get a better type. The Logan felt I was a bit disappointed in. Not hard enough, and was the gray stuff, not the white. Seemed as though it might be harboring abrasives.

I'd change the setup though, I put under-carriage oiling on mine, now the oil is positively put where it needs to be, and comes OUT, washing out crud, instead of being wiped "in".

You need wipers though. With no wipers, grit or small swarf gets caught at the front and ground against the ways, eventually going under when it is pounded finer by movement. Very bad, turns the carriage into a big lap, slowly lapping the ways away.

Foam might be Ok with oil, or not. But it has only one chance to catch crud, at the edge. Otherwise it goes under, and may then be trapped INSIDE.
Felt has about 100 chances, each fiber on the surface can catch crud and keep it out.

[This message has been edited by J Tiers (edited 12-19-2004).]

[This message has been edited by J Tiers (edited 12-19-2004).]

ZINOM
12-19-2004, 03:25 PM
In a pinch, pipe cleaners will do the job....they can be formed into a many bend shape to acommodate a particular machine and it's simple to bend a loop and trap it under a screw on the saddle.....hold a bit of oil too.

I use pipe cleaners for a lot of things around the shop now that I think of it....cleaning chips from holes, mimicking the bends in parts to see the length of wiring needed to fit along those bends, etc.

Never cleaned a pipe with them though.

John