PDA

View Full Version : Olds Engine Information

k8rs
12-28-2004, 12:50 PM
Has HSM ever done a series on the making of an Olds Engine from the Paul Breish castings? I have the castings and am gaathering information from any and all sources.

PolskiFran
12-28-2004, 03:35 PM
To the best of my knowledge HSM has never done an engine building article from any manufactured casting kits (although I could be wrong). The Paul Breich engine casting kits were being sold by Jay Peters under the Breich/Peters name. Jay Peters has recently goe out of business due to heath problems and the model business was sold to an unknown (to me anyway) buyer. The steam powered casting kits are being sold by Myers from Ohio. I have an Olds kit waiting to be built. I purchased this from Jay at Cabin Fever about 5 yrs. ago. I still haven't started on it. If you have a subscription to Gas Engine Magazine, http://www.gasenginemagazine.com/
they are doing a construction article on the Red Wing gas engine at the moment. I believe they are on part 2 of the series this month. These articles would give you a good idea on how to go about machining the kit since these engines are about the same physical size.

Hope this helps,
Frank

JCHannum
12-28-2004, 04:19 PM
I have just finished the Breisch Little Brother engine. There is basic information on the prints. From that point, it is a matter of making one part at a time. Start with the engine base, and build from there.

I had built a couple of the Phil Duclos engines, and the "Shop Wisdom of Philip Duclos" book available from Village Press has a lot of information on techniques on engine building that is applicable to these engines.