PDA

View Full Version : USB 2 SERIAL 232?? Anyone with experience?

ibewgypsie
01-01-2005, 10:06 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64047&item=5740967512&rd=1

I have a machine I need to hook a serial device up to without a serial port. Problem is my software reads/writes to serial port addresses only.

ANyone use a usb-232 adapter like this one? How does it work? Is this a fix or a band-aid? I am still trying to figure out how the SOny PS2 controller can work with a USB port. It has a cpu that calls for specific protocols.

David

3 Phase Lightbulb
01-01-2005, 11:17 AM
You will need to install a windows USB->UART driver. Also, you will get data overruns at high baud rates (> 38400 bps). They work fine for low baud rates (I.E: 9600 baud).

You say you're writing to the serial port addresses? Are you using/writing a 16-bit DOS mode program? Or are you using the WIN32 Serial APIs? Either will work, but your if you're writing a DOS mode program, and trying to use it outside of windows, then it won't work. Windows will actually setup the IO TSS Bitmap and take exceptions on Serial/UART PortIO and convert those UART register read/writes into the emulated USB UART driver.

-3Ph

BillH
01-01-2005, 11:18 AM
I have one, by a different manuf. The biggest problem with it was waiting for a decent windows XP driver to come out for it, which finally did last year. I use it for the GPS which is serial only into my laptops usb port.
THey make specifically, game adapters for the Sony PS2 controllers that convert them to USB game pads. It's already done, and I think they are only around 20$. They are not all the same though, do a google search on Ps2 to usb adapter, and find the consensus as to which is the best one to get.

Ian B
01-01-2005, 11:48 AM
David,

Would one of these be an alternative for you?

http://www.lantronix.com/device-networking/external-device-servers/mss100.html

Ethernet connection instead of USB. There are a couple on Ebay in the UK, going for around GBP 20 a piece.

hth,

Ian

JPR
01-01-2005, 11:53 AM
David, I have had good luck so far with the usb to serial adapters.

The last one I bought was a no name brand while connecting the office pc to a machine in the shop for a customer in PA. It was a Win 98 pc with both serial ports dead, amazingly, it worked even with 98 operating system. The customer has been running fine for three months. They download a couple of times a day.

ibewgypsie
01-01-2005, 12:01 PM
I cracked the code on the PS2 handhelds pads. I have it in Visual basic 6 if anyone needs it. I use it with the directX driver and it works flawlessly. Not so with Mach2. I was so happy to find a two stick to run my cnc with. Too bad it won't work with "Thier software". I am going to use it with the Robotic manipulator outside in the foundry as a teach pendant, Hopefully in the camera usb cable, remove and take back inside.

I have done up the Press software myself. The opto22 using a "i" command you can dump and forget a number of pulses at programmed timing frames. The Servo drive stores the pulses in it's on board resolver, the tuning is on board. I really like that, but trying to interpolate it made me more grey-headed. I finally gave up.

I am using the serial boards at 38400 baud. I am hunting a RS232 Pci card. I just got another 2port 422 card to put into my house. I am going to try to link the two computers together/ the 4 wire 422 network to the house using a existing 8wire Lan cable I have stretched down there. (4 pairs twisted)

While searching the web for information on the USB-Rs232 I found a $16 usb to Parallel port. Now, if that holds the pins like a regular par port it will open up some new avenues for the ttl control of external devices.
Using a Robotstore.com SSCII card and cdrom, futaba servos you can build manipulators cheap like. Resolution is only 180 points thou. I think... that might be enough... We'll see. I've done that before.. With small steppers with cylinder followers.

Off to pick up some donated building materiels for the addition. I love having people owe me favors.

------------------
David Cofer, Of:
Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

Excitable Boy
01-01-2005, 04:01 PM
David,

I don't know if it would work for your purposes but I have an I Concepts USB to Serial adaptor that I got at compUSA for around $30.00. It emulates a real RS232 port well enough that I can do firmware updates to RS232 native devices by running Win98 in Virtual PC running on an Apple laptop that doesn't have any native RS232 ports.

Hope that helps.

John

------------------
Pursue Excellence and the rest will follow.