PDA

View Full Version : Humidity

balddave
01-01-2005, 08:41 PM
Hey all, i'm considering moving the machining portion of my hobby from the garage to the basement, hopefully i'll do somemore work if im not freezing, and it should help keep me cleaner ect....anyhow, i live in pa, and we live in an old farm house well over 100 years old, it has a partially sandstone foundation, and its always kinda damp and musty moldy ect., what effect would this have on my machines, so far i figured that i should parge all the walls and i was figuring on buying a dehumidifier, is this enough? what do you all think? Thanks for all your ideas/help....have a Happy New Year

PolskiFran
01-01-2005, 09:02 PM
A friend of mine lived in the same type of house. He wanted to put in a train room to set up his Lionel trains. He dug the basement down another 3', concreted the floor and installed a new heating system that kept the basement dampness to a minimum. There were no leaks in the foundation and once the heat system throughly dried the foundation he had no problems.

Hope this helps,
Frank

J Tiers
01-01-2005, 11:25 PM
Rented a house like that, in three weeks there was mold and rust on everything. It was fieldstone (limestone) not sandstone though.

A de-humidifier helped quite a lot in summer here in humid St Louis. Wasn't perfect, even then. Winter wasn't an issue.

We moved, solid concrete now. Not that new stuff, but 80 year old rich mix concrete. A masonry drill barely scrapes it. No problems with water now, but I still need a dehumidifier if I want to keep books and machines decent. It is the incoming air.

Evan
01-02-2005, 12:31 AM
Or, you could move north. The humidity here is about 27% right now. It never goes above 50%, even in summer. I have no clue what this thing people keep referring to as "rust". What is that?

darryl
01-02-2005, 01:58 AM
Relatively Useless Steel Tarnish.

vinito
01-02-2005, 02:22 AM
Wet structures are something I've learned a lot about over the past decade or so. Seems that everywhere I lived, in every structure (five at present) there was water getting in somewhere, either the roof or through cracks and such in the foundation/floor. The main thing that I've found to cause dampness in foundations is almost always the grade around the structure. Where I was able to change the grade so that there is 1 foot of drop for at least 8 feet around, and a good clear path for water to run to a far corner, the moisture problem through foundations has virtually disappeared. My recommendation is to check that out first because you're chasing shadows until the grade is acceptable.

Of course you may be built on top of a spring (not uncommon in my area) or the water table might just be really high. But it's still worth checking out and changing the grade if necessary. I know it's a PITA, but it's the best start IMO, and maybe a dehumidifier will be able to take care of any residual moisture from there.

Once you determine the grade is OK, turn your attention to the gutters and downspouts. I ran PVC underground for about 10 feet to route the water from downspouts well away from the house, and your gutters need to work with no leaks.

Once that's done (unless you have a spring under your house) a dehumidifier or two should handle whatever's left and a shop should be nice and dry.

[This message has been edited by vinito (edited 01-02-2005).]

SGW
01-02-2005, 08:56 AM
A friend of mine had an old house with a typical old-house basement. He got a cement contractor to pour skin walls about 2"-3" thick inside against the fieldstone foundation. He lost a bit of interior space, but it made the basement usable. This was about 30 years ago and as far as I know he's never had any trouble with the walls. One would want to clean the stone well first to get as much bond with the concrete as possible, of course.