PDA

View Full Version : Off grid machine shop??

Wayne02
01-01-2005, 06:05 PM
Came across this while surfing. What a beautiful place!
http://www.homesteadsforsale.com/larry.htm

I could maybe handle living off-grid if not for my beloved shop... kind of spoiled with internet as well I guess.

Wonder what type of generator set-up it would take to run a home shop with lathes, milling machines, plasma cutters, welders etc????

Wayne

x39
01-01-2005, 06:26 PM
I've got some friends who run a fairly large auto/truck repair/restoration/paint/welding/machine shop. A few years back they got in a spat with the electric company and told them to get lost. They've got a Caterpillar powered generator that is about the size of two large cars piled on top of one another that just idles along all day long and powers the whole works with nary a hiccup.

lenord
01-01-2005, 06:59 PM
Wayne and/or Someone who knows,

A little off topic question here....

Why are the properties so beautiful and so cheap ? Are the winters too cold ? Getting to be a Canadian citizen too hard ? Some unknown superfund like site close by or what ?

Lenord

BillH
01-01-2005, 07:14 PM
Says its a homestead, makes me wonder if you really own that land.
Well, no cable modem, thats for sure... Even a phone?

Rustybolt
01-01-2005, 07:19 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lenord:
Wayne and/or Someone who knows,

A little off topic question here....

Why are the properties so beautiful and so cheap ? Are the winters too cold ? Getting to be a Canadian citizen too hard ? Some unknown superfund like site close by or what ?

Lenord</font>

Because it's in the middle of nowhere any yuppie wants to be. You can buy a lot of cheap land in the parts of Montana that don't have mountain views or grows wheat. And it's even cheaper in North Dakota. All this presupposes you don't mind six solid months of winter.

snowman
01-01-2005, 07:34 PM
Becoming a Canadian citizen really shouldn't be all that hard.

If you've got the money to buy that, you've got the money to be a Canadian citizen. They require that you have at least 10k in a savings account, and skills that will get you a job. It does take a couple of years of probation.

Once I finish nursing school, I may move. I like my wilderness a little less "tamed".

-Jacob

Chester
01-01-2005, 07:38 PM
When most people see the isolation and distance from town, they just move on to other listings. Health care and probable lack of 'phone service would be another deterent. My guess would be that it is an estate sale. The price is average for the location and would take forever to appreciate much in value. Sure would make a neat summer retreat for the right party. If interested, look at www.mls.ca (http://www.mls.ca) for other properties in Canada.

Location, location,location.......truer words were never spoken. A few years back my wife's uncle died leaving a hand built masonary home with a tripple bay workshop/garage anybody would kill for, sitting on 100 acres of prime mixed woodlands. The south edge of the property abutted the U.S. border. It was sold for the give away price of $65K Cdn. The problem was that it is in the Province of Quebec. He had two sons living aroung Montreal and they even weren't interested.

There are many properties here that can be had for next to nothing because of back taxes. Most are out in the middle of nowhere and will never be worth anything. Have a friend whose father willed him some of those and now he is stuck paying taxes or throw them away.

wierdscience
01-01-2005, 08:49 PM
Off grid shop,if I did it,I would use a diesil motor,something cheap and long lived like a Perkins 3cyl tractor engine.

I would have a alternator(10,000 watt)for lights and small tools only and use hydraulic pumps and motors to run the big tools.
I had it figured once to plumb the shop with 1-1/4" black iron pipe,1 pressure,1 return for the mains and reduce down to 1/2 or 3/4 for the branches,run the system at 900-1000 psi and about 30gpm.
Hydrualic motors can be had for $100 -125 these days and many of those can deliver hp in the 5-7-1/2 range.
Plus you also have foward/reverse and variable speed with the right valving.

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 01-01-2005).]

PSD KEN
01-01-2005, 09:53 PM
Problem is: Canadia wouldn't allow you to bring your pistols in.
I'm considering Idaho, up in Panhandle, a bit nippy, but cheap.
3rd generation here, but, but tiring of the "Peoples Sozilistii Republik of Kaleefornea"

Buckshot
01-02-2005, 07:23 AM
..........PSDKen, had a brother living in Bonners Ferry, ID. A beautifull area with a quiant little old timey downtown. Not much happening and quiet. People would drive to Libby, MT to buy stuff (no sales tax). Snow burden isn't too bad for being so far north. Best part was electricity was like 3.5 cents/Kw. The town owned part of a dam.

My wife would move to Sand Point, ID in a heartbeat. That's about midway between Bonner's Ferry and Cour'dlene. It struck me as being "mid-America" stuck in the 1930's.

I recall going to town with my brother and parking next to a 4wd Ford p-u with a gunrack and a couple rifles in it. Windows were rolled down. I pointed it out and my brother just said, Yeah, and they're probably loaded too."

He was a ER doctor and had to move. People wouldn't leave him alone in the store, in resturants or at home. Tiny little hospital and a couple private practice physicians in town were flakes.

Best,
Rick

dhammer
01-02-2005, 09:30 AM
I heard on TV that there has been an influx of Americans moving, or trying to move to Canada. Are there any Canadians on this forum who would like to comment?

Al Messer
01-02-2005, 05:03 PM
Hey, Thrud!! You are being paged!!

x39
01-02-2005, 07:00 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rustybolt:
All this presupposes you don't mind six solid months of winter.</font>
Hmmmm... keeps the riff-raff out for half the year, works for me. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

JCHannum
01-03-2005, 11:20 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dhammer:
I heard on TV that there has been an influx of Americans moving, or trying to move to Canada. Are there any Canadians on this forum who would like to comment? </font>

Apparently, this is causing problems in some areas;

Illegal Emigrants

The flood of American liberals sneaking across the border into Canada intensified in the past week, sparking calls for increased patrols to stop the illegal immigration. The re-election of President Bush is prompting the exodus among left-leaning citizens who fear they'll soon be required to hunt, pray, and agree with Bill O'Reilly.

Canadian border farmers say it's not uncommon to see dozens of sociology professors, animal rights activists, and Unitarians crossing their fields at night. "I went out to milk the cows the other day, and there was a Hollywood producer huddled in the barn," said Manitoba farmer Red Greenfield, whose acreage borders North Dakota. The producer was cold, exhausted, and hungry. "He asked me if I could spare a latte and some free-range chicken. When I said I didn't have any, he left. Didn't even get a chance to show him my screenplay, eh?"

In an effort to stop the illegal aliens, Greenfield erected higher fences, but the liberals scaled them. So he tried installing speakers that blare Rush Limbaugh across the fields. "Not real effective," he said. "The liberals still got through, and Rush annoyed the cows so much they wouldn't give milk."

Officials are particularly concerned about smugglers who meet liberals near the Canadian border, pack them into Volvo station wagons, drive them across the border, and leave them to fend for themselves. "A lot of these people are not prepared for rugged conditions," an Ontario border patrolman said. "I found one carload without a drop of Evian. They did have a nice little Napa Valley cabernet, though."

When liberals are caught, they're sent back across the border, often wailing loudly that they fear retribution from conservatives. Rumors have been circulating about the Bush administration establishing re-education camps in which liberals will be forced to drink domestic beer and watch NASCAR. In the days since the election, liberals have turned to sometimes ingenious ways of crossing the border. Some have taken to posing as senior citizens on bus trips to buy cheap Canadian prescription drugs. After catching a half-dozen young vegans disguised in powdered wigs, Canadian immigration authorities began stopping buses and quizzing the supposed senior-citizen passengers. "If they can't identify the accordion player on The Lawrence Welk Show we get suspicious about their age," an official said.

Canadian citizens have complained that the illegal immigrants are creating a shortage of organic broccoli and renting all the good Susan Sarandon movies. "I feel sorry for American liberals, but the Canadian economy just can't support them," an Ottawa resident said. "How many art-history majors does one country need?"

In an effort to ease tensions between the United States and Canada, Vice President Dick Cheney met with the Canadian ambassador and pledged that the administration would take steps to reassure liberals, a source close to
Cheney said. "We're going to have some Peter, Paul & Mary concerts. And we might put some endangered species on postage stamps. The president is determined to reach out."

—author unknown

back

madman
01-03-2005, 11:45 AM
Remote locations gas at .95 cents a litre drive 45 minutes to an hour and thats to buy the newspaper,, it all sounds good. I just turned down a 173 acre package with a camp for $20000 dollars canadian.. its just a pain to now live in middle of nowhere,, noone wants that anymore.. Generators like a one litre generac 12000 would be more than enough for any small shop and house.. I had a friend build a generator from a vw diesel motor and it worked great. Cheap on fuel.