PDA

View Full Version : Pure brass?

BillH
01-06-2005, 12:35 AM
Does pure brass machine like ****? Cause the brass I machined tonight machined like ****.
I made 2 angle plates out of some plate brass. The stuff would not chip, it would smudge over the endmill, very gummy lacking a better word.

PolskiFran
01-06-2005, 12:49 AM
There are different grades of brass. I have some free machining that cuts very well to some unknown marine variety that is a royal pain to work with (very hard). It sounds like there may be high copper content in the material you have. I tried to make a model engine cylinder out of (what I thought was) brass. It drilled very gummy. When I went to run the reamer in, it bound up the 3/16 reamer and nearly threw the vise off of the table. I later found out it was some kind of copper bar for a heating element the company was experimenting with.

Frank

tattoomike68
01-06-2005, 01:14 AM
brass machines great, use "0" rake tooling.

Forrest Addy
01-06-2005, 01:17 AM
Sounds like a testimonial to material awareness coming on.

radish1us
01-06-2005, 02:20 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BillH:
Does pure brass machine like ****? Cause the brass I machined tonight machined like ****.
I made 2 angle plates out of some plate brass. The stuff would not chip, it would smudge over the endmill, very gummy lacking a better word.</font>

PURE BRASS??????????????????????????????
better check out what brass is made from/mixed with.
http://reference.allrefer.com/encyclopedia/B/brass.html
I would take a guess that you got your hands on the wrong stuff.Wondering if you just happened to "pick it up", or purchase a maching grade piece.

radish

pete913
01-06-2005, 03:40 AM
Ha, ALL brass, bronze machines like **** to me with the exception of aluminum bronze. Nice stuff if you want to spend your free time cleaning brass or bronze out of your hair, eyes, ears, nostrils and every other nook and cranny you can think of. I just finished making some large pump bushings 4" od x 3-1/2 ID, and 6" long from bearing bronze, and when I got done, the area within a 10' radius of the lathe I was working on was a total mess, as well as me.

[This message has been edited by pete913 (edited 01-06-2005).]

Harold_V
01-06-2005, 04:56 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BillH:
I made 2 angle plates out of some plate brass. The stuff would not chip, it would smudge over the endmill, very gummy lacking a better word.</font>

Not all brass' (or bronzes) are created equally. Unless you buy free machining materials, often they are very difficult to machine. Manganese bronze is an excellent example of one that is very trying of one's ability.

For a real treat, try to locate some leaded phosphor bronze. It is without a doubt the best machining material in existence. Phosphor bronze (without the lead) is quite the opposite.

Harold

[This message has been edited by Harold_V (edited 01-06-2005).]

radish1us
01-06-2005, 05:55 AM
[ and when I got done, the area within a 10' radius of the lathe I was working on was a total mess, as well as me.]

You should have used a PAINT BRUSH when turning the brass, just use a 2 or 3 inch brush and hang it over the tooltip when the bits are flying. The bristles catch ALL the ****ty bits and they just fall to the chip tray,where they belong, not all over you.

regards radish

SGW
01-06-2005, 08:34 AM
Brass is an alloy (actually, about 10 gazillion different alloys), so there is no such thing as "pure brass."

Some of the alloys machine a lot better than others. 360 brass machines quite well.

BillH
01-06-2005, 01:35 PM
The Brass 360 I have machines beutifully as it should being free machining. I assumed this piece of plate brass was also 360.
The brass pile is right next to the copper pile at metal supermarkets, but it has that gold color to it.
In either case im done with the angle plates. I try to make sure I know what I have on hand.
My choice of Pure brass was poor. I forgot brass is an alloy.
I think the bronze 660 I picked up will machine more nicely, it better!