PDA

View Full Version : Set up question

torker
01-08-2005, 08:35 AM
Hey guys! I took a Holley double pumper in trade the other day. Not much for trade, the front shaft was really loose on one side and it was very hard to tune due to all the extra air it sucks. I was looking to just use it for parts but now I'm thinking why not bush the hole and make it useful again. It would mount up nice on it's side on an angle plate but I'm wondering how is the best way to center this thing. I was thinking of shimming the shaft (after removing the plates etc) so it worked free then chucking it up in a drill chuck...let it hang and move the tables/angle plate around til it matched the base of the carb. But then I realized that this is just another of my hillbilly setups. The hole on one side is the only one that is really worn out (he had the carb for many years and used REALLY heavy return springs). I can see how to center it with a coaxial indicator but can't see how to make sure the setup is true all the way through. Hope you follow what I'm trying to say. How would you guys set this up! Thanks!
Russ

ZINOM
01-08-2005, 09:05 AM
I'm sure it's not the prefered method, but I might just mount it on the angle plate using either the flapper axle as a reference for a steel square, or some other "through-carb" line as reference.

Not too kosher, but I substitute my eyes for proper training most days.

Good luck.

John

SGW
01-08-2005, 09:06 AM
Hmmm.... I'm totally ignorant of Holley carburators, but here's one idea that might help. Assuming the shaft you're talking about goes across the throat of the carburetor, could you turn a circular plug of the the proper diameter to slide into the carburator, and cross-drill it at the proper spot with a small hole to line up with the shaft hole locations? Then you could slide in the plug, put a small rod through the cross-drilled hole, and base your alignment on the small rod. When that's correct relative to the body of the carburetor, clamp the carburetor down, remove the rod and plug, and proceed to bore the body.

JCHannum
01-08-2005, 09:22 AM
torker, your method is not that bad, and probably what I would do faced with a similar project. Work off the better holes, rather than the ratted out one.

You might think about installing some dowel pins or other means of relocating the carb after installing the bushings so you can line ream them.

topct
01-08-2005, 09:22 AM
Not sure if you've seen this.
http://www.quadrajetcarburetors.com/bushingkitinstructions.html
Although there showing a Q-jet the procedures would be the same. So it sounds like your method might work. Hell go for it. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

------------------
Gene

torker
01-08-2005, 10:00 AM
topct..That's exactly how I was thinking of doing it! What a scary thought though...they sell kits to people who have lord knows what kind of runnout in their drill press and drilling in soft cast alu. Hmmm I think I'm going to try it then. Just have to figure what size of reamer to order. Thanks guys!
Russ

shawnspeed
01-08-2005, 11:23 AM
Some of the specialty suppliers for Holly sell a repair kit for the throttle shaft repair that includes bushings, and a piloted reamer to open the holes up,using the existing ones as a guide. They work pretty good with a cordless drill on low speed. They were a bit pricey if I remember correctly. Good luck Shawn

wierdscience
01-08-2005, 10:46 PM
I have done many old updraft carbs with worn holes.All I did was put the shaft and butterfly back in the carb and twist it till the butterfly got a good seal around the edges,then used the shaft to setup the location.
I also found that the small brass model tubing from the hobby supply made excellent bushings.