PDA

View Full Version : Blake test indicator

torker
01-12-2005, 03:04 PM
Would a Blake be that much better than a Tesatest coax indicator? thanks!
Russ

sjensen30
01-12-2005, 03:39 PM
Russ,
I can't speak for the tesatest as all I've used is a Blake Coax, but the Blake is smooth and easy to use. Steve

JCHannum
01-12-2005, 04:52 PM
I am unfamilar with the Tesatest also. Tesa used to be European I think, and may still be good quality.

There are Asian knockoffs of the Blake that are probably as good as any other Asian knockoff. Blakes come up on eBay fairly often at reasonable prices, I paid $35.00 for mine.

torker
01-12-2005, 07:50 PM
Ha..that's why I was asking! I was just about to order a Tesatest on sale from KBC (ya I know) when a near new Blake came up on Ebay. Went for $135 or so. I really got whacked in the bidding...lol!

webbch
01-13-2005, 01:21 PM
I've used the Blake Co-Ax indicator in the shop I worked in, as well as an import one that I got for home.

The import one works fine (The work I do needs to be centered no more accurately than about 0.0002-0.0005"), no problems, but the fit and finish is crap. Comparing it to the Blake, the various feelers in the Blake have a nice machined finish and it fits in its slot very nicely. On the import, it looks like the feelers were cast and not finished.

For those of you who have the blake, but want one of the long feelers for occasional use, don't try to buy import feelers for it -- they don't fit. Just my 2 cents.

If I had to do it over again, I'd get the Blake, especially if I could find one for the $35 listed (Wow!). However, since I already have the import now, I'll keep it around until it breaks.

SGW
01-13-2005, 01:44 PM
Just in case you feel truly inspired, Guy Lautard's Machinist's Bedside Reader #3 has plans for making a Co-Ax equivalent.

torker
01-13-2005, 06:13 PM
Thanks again for the input guys! I guess I'm going to pick up a Fowler or Tetatast (spelled wrong before). New Blakes are wayyy pricey for me right now..sure look good though. The guy who whacked me on Ebay must have known that...geeez...I bid $25 higher than anyone in the last few seconds and it ended up $20 over THAT!
SWG...I never have time to be truly inspired anymore. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
Russ

Mike Shaffer
01-13-2005, 08:01 PM
I was told that the main difference between the cheap foreign ones and the Blake is that the Blakes can be rebuilt. The imports can not be rebuilt. I got mine from a place I used to work. A former employee trashed it out somehow, and rather than rebuild it they just shelved it, until I came along and asked if I could have it. The boss was happy to get rid of it. Cost me $60 to have rebuilt.