PDA

View Full Version : Tailstock indicator

irnsrgn
01-15-2005, 10:19 PM
I was glancing thru the tips book today and one article jogged my mind about something I saw several years ago that I had never gotten made.
This friend whose father was a part time gunsmith had a dial indicator mounted to the bottom section of his tailstock with the indicator point touching the top movable section. I asked his son who now owns the lathe what that was for. He told me that was what his father set over the tail stock with to cut tapers on gun barrels and then to recenter the tailstock. I am going to make a brkt for my tailstock with an indicator similarly attached to be used for lining the tail stock up for long pieces. It should work slick for this purpose.

irnsrgn

Forrest Addy
01-16-2005, 12:50 AM
I've seen that same gadget many times in many shops and I've never failed to be struck by the utter practicality and simplicity of the idea.

Why has no lathe manufacure ever provided a machined boss and a tapped hole for an optional factory-supplied (or home brew) tail stock set-over indicator attachment.

I've thought about it many a time but never built one for myself. Maybe I shoulda been a lathe manufacturer.

Paul Alciatore
01-16-2005, 01:28 PM
The lathe manufacturers probably don't do it because you would see how much the tailstock spindle moves about when it is in use.

Paul A.