PDA

View Full Version : 4-jaw chuck parts

andy_b
01-16-2005, 08:13 PM
i took the advice you folks had and picked up a new 4-jaw chuck at Cabin Fever. so i have this old 8" one now that i was taking apart and looking at (it is VERY loose). i can see how jaws would be replaced. what about the screw portion that moves the jaws? also, the screws ride against a metal post with a U-shaped top. this metal piece sticks through to the back side of the chuck (you can see them once the backplate is removed). are these pieces removable as well? in the Bison catalog it looks like they are held in with a setscrew, but the ones in the old chuck i have don't appear to be held in by anything. are they just pressed in? i'm just wondering as i'm not going to tear a new 4-jaw chuck apart to see what holds it together. the ways the jaws slide in are very worn, otherwise this chuck may have been rebuildable for a reasonable amount.

andy b.

nheng
01-16-2005, 08:48 PM
It's my understanding that the "half nuts" should be pressed out the back. My attempt to do that on my own 4 jaw chuck proved fruitless so I cleaned it up by repeated brushings and flushings with solvent. I'd also welcome input on how to get them out. Den

John Foster
01-16-2005, 08:56 PM
The U shaped stud or yoke is a usually held in place by a light drive fit. Use a brass drift from the front side a drive them out.
Check for set screws just to be sure. John