PDA

View Full Version : Difference between two Grizzly lathes

44-henry
01-16-2005, 05:53 PM
I'm looking closer at the grizzly metal lathes and I see two models shown that I'm interested in. The two models are the G4003 and the G9249. They are priced the same, one is said to be a belt drive. I'm afraid my knowledge of lathes is too limited to understand the differences. What am I missing?

SteveA
01-16-2005, 06:23 PM
I recently spent some time looking at the G4003 as well. It doesn't come with a stand, as does the G9249, and seem to be identical to the Birmingham YCL-1236GH, Enco 110-278, and South Bend G26-T. I was unable to get a local reference to view one, and it was not on display at Grizzly. I'd insist on seeing one before I plunked down the money.

gkman11
01-16-2005, 06:25 PM
I have the G4003. If you look at the photos, at the top of the 4003 are two levers "ABC" and "123" that you set to one of the speeds with. A chart on the front show which speed goes with what selection ie A 2 = 70 rpm. On the belt drive you have to open the lid, and move belt(s) to different shives. I also like the quick change tool post better on mine.

brunneng
01-16-2005, 08:42 PM
I'm going through the same considerations. I remember reading on this bbs quite awhile ago that the belt drives run quieter then the gear heads but I'll trade that for the easier speed selection.

PHiers
01-16-2005, 08:53 PM
I have the G4003. I considered the belt drive but, having owned belt drives before, I wanted the easy speed changes. (to me, kinda like a loose change gear lathe vs a quick change gearbox). I have no complaints on my grizzy, but of course, you mileage may vary.

------------------
Paul in NE Ohio

PSD KEN
01-16-2005, 10:12 PM
There was a recent discussion on the Yahoo 12X36 site about the two.
The gear drive was much preferred.
Consensus was that the Grizz had better fit and finish than the HF version.
The Birmingham was not mentioned.

weldnfab
01-16-2005, 11:10 PM
Hi 44, I was considering the same two lathes, but then got a chance to go see the 4003 at a neighbors place. He said that He had spent some time at the Grizzly showroom this last fall, and ran both of them. He said that they both will do the same things but that he felt the belt changes were a real pain to do, so he bought the 4003. That is the model I am currently saving for. About 500 more to go. I can't hardle stand it, then comes the mill that I am currently undecided about yet. Good Luck.. I'm finding half the fun is just researching and saving for it.!!!!!!!!!
PS: Dont forget the 4003 comes with a quick change tool holder. Nice option that it seems everyone says you'll want to buy eventually...

NevadaBlue
01-16-2005, 11:26 PM
I got the 4003 for the gear changes, but it has D1-4 chuck mounts too. Fine machine for the price. I got their stand, it is quite sturdy too, having heavy plate mounts in the top and bottom.