PDA

View Full Version : ? re tempering a woodturning tool

Herb W
01-16-2005, 11:31 AM
The tool is a roughing gouge. The material is O1. The question: what temper colour should I aim for at the cutting tip?

lynnl
01-16-2005, 11:47 AM
I currently have a library book, Custom Tools for Woodworkers, by J. Petrovich.

Petrovich suggests a light straw color for the cutting edge of almost all cutting tools. Let that blend into a peacock color for the shank, and further into a blue for the tang.

He's using old files, leaf and coil springs, etc. for his stock. I'm not sure how O1 might differ, if at all.

[This message has been edited by lynnl (edited 01-16-2005).]

Herb W
01-16-2005, 03:05 PM
Thanks Lynn
What's your opinion of the book?

lynnl
01-16-2005, 03:57 PM
Herb, I think it's pretty good. I'd kinda like to have a cy myself.

After the first 100 pgs or so of background info on steel, equipment, techniques, safety, etc., he presents about 50 pgs on some beginning projects (centerpunch, marking knife, screwdriver, and utility knife) in which one practices the basics of forging, hollow grinding, heat treating, and handle-ing both tang'ed and slab handle tools (ferrules, riveting, etc.
The remainder covers projects involving various chisels, carving tools, knives, and planes. In each example he goes thru each of the steps, tho omitting some of the detailed discussion previously covered.

It's 226 pgs total, and the color cover shows probaby 20 or so beautiful examples.

Herb W
01-18-2005, 12:38 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I'd kinda like to have a cy myself</font>
same here...found a used one.
Thanks again