PDA

View Full Version : new thoughts on imported lathes

BillH
01-14-2005, 03:31 PM
I have a friend in Norway who wanted to get into machining, and the cost of machine tools in his country are inflated insanely, as for example, the miniature lathe harbor frieght sells that will turn a max of just under 4", costs over 1000$ USD.
So I suggested that he look for a used machine tool, tried, was outbidded, so finally I suggested he call up Sieg industrial who makes the mini lathe that a few of us have here.
He ended up doing a mass buy for many of his Norwegian friends and is now thinking about becoming a dealer. The man who owns Sieg even offered to fly over to Norway to visit him.
Well From what he described to me, Sieg must obviously build to order of buyer specifications. The QC on his lathe was very good, no burrs on it, no sand anywhere, and even his gibbs have been lapped and polished!
I am now teaching him how to machine through the internet. He still wont listen to me though that he needs a 4 jaw chuck, lol. Finally just realised that, Yes, he should learn to grind HSS bits and use them instead of the brazed carbide he has been using.

wierdscience
01-14-2005, 11:44 PM
I would be willing to bet that Sieg would make you a toolroom version if you paid them to.

I have thought about having them or a similar company over there build a machine which has vanished from the American landscape-the small horizonal boring mill.

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 01-14-2005).]

WJHartson
01-15-2005, 04:09 AM
From what I have seen of the Sieg equipment it is very good. A friend of mine bought a M3 mill and for the price the quality is excellent. He is very pleased with it and has done some nice work on it. I went to see the equipment at Lathemaster in Baton Rouge and they had several different models, all looked good.

Joe

Joe

nheng
01-15-2005, 01:24 PM
www.littlemachineshop.com (http://www.littlemachineshop.com) has a photo tour of the Sieg plant. Looks like some of Carl's nostalgia photos except that the workers are Chinese.

added - check out the third photo to see their use of horizontal mills and shapers ... also looks like no one is over 25-ish in their engineering dept

It's also interesting to note that the only thing separating red mini-mills from blue mini-mills is a 4 foot aisle ... and maybe different bearings. Who is blue? Maybe Homier?

Den

[This message has been edited by nheng (edited 01-15-2005).]

wierdscience
01-15-2005, 08:20 PM
Read closer and they say the little blue drill presses are headed to Germany.

I have a Red Homier mini mill,for what it is made to do it is capable.

sauer38h
01-18-2005, 12:38 AM
How many lathes is a "mass buy"?

Forrest Addy
01-18-2005, 10:32 AM
sauer38h: How many is a mass buy?

I dunno. Maybe a baggie full judging from the size of the product. (Sneer scoff)

Dang. These people are making lathes like we did in the 50's and they sell them for what? $400? What happen to the price when they move in some good CNC stuff and start knocking the parts mfg time to about 1/10 the manual time and hold closer tolerences?

BillH
01-18-2005, 12:06 PM
Send them an email, they will be more than happy to give you prices. All the places that sell replacement parts are making atleast a 100% profit from one price sheet I have seen.
For my friend, he got a good discount ordering about 8 machines with lots of accessories. The price for 1 X3 mill which I think only lathemaster so far imports but does not list goes for around 749$ USD direct from China.
Still though, I'd sooner look for a good used American made product.

CCWKen
01-18-2005, 09:58 PM
Look further into the pictures. They're already using "CNC stuff". One thing I've noticed is that my little machine will hold any tolerance my tools can measure.

Of course, I don't send stuff into space. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

JCHannum
01-18-2005, 10:10 PM
They have one CNC. Safety glasses and electric lighting seem in short supply though.

Spin Doctor
01-19-2005, 05:45 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nheng:
www.littlemachineshop.com (http://www.littlemachineshop.com)
It's also interesting to note that the only thing separating red mini-mills from blue mini-mills is a 4 foot aisle ... and maybe different bearings. Who is blue? Maybe Homier?

Den

The blue machines may well be Knuth's

[This message has been edited by nheng (edited 01-15-2005).]</font>