PDA

View Full Version : Rockwell metal lathe

bruggles
09-21-2004, 05:44 PM
I have a 10" Rockwell metal lathe and the back gar and the gear that it mates with have missing teeth. Does anybody know where I could find something like that? I have checked many places, but I am sure that there are some around. If anybody has any ideas that would be great.

SNelson
09-21-2004, 05:54 PM
Sometimes you can get companies such as Martin Sprocket and Gear or Boston Gear to custom make you anything strange that you might have for no extra charge, as it is their bread and butter.

JCHannum
09-21-2004, 08:08 PM
If they are cast iron as I remember them to be, it is not difficult to braze and file or mill to shape to repair.

Parts also often show up on eBay.

SGW
09-22-2004, 08:39 AM
If you have a dividng head, making gears is in fact not that big a deal, if it comes to that.

Maybe it's the justification you need to buy a dividing head! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

mendoje
09-22-2004, 07:05 PM
Plaza Machinery (plazamachinery.com) has some parts listed for a 10" RW lathe. You might want to fax them a want list, however it appears Joe will be out until mid October (no affiliation).

Jeff

bruggles
09-22-2004, 10:05 PM
Hey thanks, i found that at plaza machinery, hopefully they have it. I would braze them, but on the small gear there are like 8 consecutive teeth missing.

bruggles
01-19-2005, 06:13 PM
I tried plaza and he had one, but then sold in while I was waiting for him to call me back. Any other ideas of where I could find these gears?

hoffman
01-19-2005, 06:39 PM
I have a Rock 10 with a welded up backgear. I'm always waiting for that thing to go south... Mine has some teeth welded back on the small part. Parts for them are pretty scarce...
Here is a pic. of the part:
http://images.andale.com/f2/129/111/8188590/1108255117221_bg__2_.jpg
Someone may have some ideas to help you out.
------------------
Hoffman in Warner Robins Ga

[This message has been edited by hoffman (edited 01-19-2005).]

bruggles
01-19-2005, 07:42 PM
thats the one that I am looking for, but to no avail. I can fix the bull gear, but I think that the other is beyond repair.

vmil3
01-20-2005, 12:09 AM
One way to repair your back gear is to machine off the small pinion including the non geared part, bore out your bull gear to the dia of the pinion gear less an 1/8", next cut a keyay into the bull gear. "NOTE": prior to cutting any metal make a drawing of what you have.
Now obtain a piece of cast iron to make a new pinion gear, rough out the material, finish bore to the drawing, overall length from drawing, turn down one end to fit into your bull gear but a couple of thou tight (.002). Mount the pinion blank on a mandrel and cut the teeth, while it is still on the mandrel mill a blind keyway ( closed at both ends) in the non gear end.
To insert the pinion chill in dry ice, warm bull gear with a torch (300° to 400°). Place bull gear in a press (wear insulated gloves) remove pinion from dry ice, insert key, line up to keyway in bull gear, press together. Once the assembley is back to room temp., drill and tap for a couple of grub screws at 90 degrees to the keyway between the bull gear and pinion where the 2 dia. meet. check the bore at the bull gear it may have shrunk a thou, use a brake hone to resize the bore. Note: If you can't find cast iron you could use steel, but the steel will be stronger than the orginal, these back gears usually bust from jaming the lathe spindle, or on heavy interupted cuts, the gear train is hammered until the cast iron gives way.
Some may say to braze up the pinion,and re machine, but you will only get a weak bond between the brass and "oil" soaked cast iron.

------------------
Doug

luke 55
01-20-2005, 09:42 AM
I had the same problem some years ago I bring to whole thing the a gearwork machine shop. they repair it for less than I think $50