PDA

View Full Version : need info on a lathe i'm thinking of buying

KPLugnut
01-14-2005, 01:06 PM
Can anyone give me info (size, weight, pics, etc) on a 16" Lodge & Shipley Engine Lathe? Found one near enough to me for sale, that I'm thinking of grabbing it. I know it's bigger than the average "Smithy", but is it battleship sized? I wasn't given the bed length but that 16" number tells me it's got a huge swing on it.
Any help greatly appreciated, thanks!

KP

SVS
01-14-2005, 02:11 PM
If its a gearhead lathe, my guess would be 4,000-5,000lbs, and then add 150lbs/foot if it will turn more than 40" between centers.

Be sure to identify the spindle nose type. I have seen several old L&S lathes which require an outdated, hard to find backplate. This is especially important if the deal doesn't include both chucks.

Good Luck
Scott

KPLugnut
01-14-2005, 03:25 PM
Thanks, Scott. That's in the ballpark of what I was thinking. It's probably just too large for my needs, even tho its price was inviting.

Thanks!
KP

sch
01-14-2005, 04:25 PM
Mike Callahan got an 18" L&S last year for
$750 with a couple of chucks and tools.
It was supposed to weigh "4000-5000#" but
based on the forklift strain probably was
closer to 8000#. He posted a pix of the
repainted machine at www.chaski.com (http://www.chaski.com) on
the machining forum under General Discussion in the past 5-7d. He
would be receptive to questions and would
be a good source of basic data. If you need
his email add it is available. Steve

[This message has been edited by sch (edited 01-14-2005).]

Milacron of PM
01-14-2005, 05:24 PM
Assuming a proper gear head L & S of 1950's vintage, the basic 16 x 30 inch weighed 5,300 lbs.

The 18" x 30" weighed 7,500 lbs. Add 170 lbs per extra foot in length.

If an antique cone head flat belt type, weight considerably less.

bikenut
01-14-2005, 05:30 PM
They are good machines, and haved used them once and a while in the last 26 years. Make sure you check it out real close, (under power would be the best) before you lay down your hard earned cash.

SVS
01-14-2005, 09:46 PM
KP
Don't let the weight discourage you too quickly. Dragging a lathe into your basement is one thing, but if you can reach your spot with a forklift, etc. its not much harder to move 3 tons, than to move 1 ton. The nicest thing about a big lathe like that is once you get it in place and under power, you can chuck up the typical easy to move atlas, or harbor freight lathe and reduce it to easily disposed of chips.
Scott

KPLugnut
01-14-2005, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the info, guys. I have access to a big forklift at the shop (but not at wherever the lathe is now), so unloading once it's home is no problem.
It's the "where's it at?" part, I'm concerned about and 'till I see the pics of it, I may not know if this one is worth whatever effort is needed to go get it.
Thanks again, and I'll let ya know.

This forum rocks!
KP

KPLugnut
01-20-2005, 03:39 PM
Looks like we may have found a new home for this thing. And at $500, I don't think I can go TOO wrong....that is, unless it doesn't run...
We shall see and I'll keep you all posted. Thanks again!!

KP