PDA

View Full Version : Eeeek mill problems what to do...

.RC.
01-21-2005, 05:15 AM
I have just been lookin over my new mill and have discovered CI grindings lying in the internal cavitiesc....What should I do...Pull the knee apart and clean it out....I certainly won't be blowing it it..

There is a fair bit in the knee casting next to where it slides up and down the columm...These are heavy castings to be pulling off...I also noticed some oil on the cross slide screw was very dark like it was contaminated as well..

Do you think a full strip and clean is in order...

dsergison
01-21-2005, 08:27 AM
give the one-shot a few squirts and go have a beer and forget abut it.

ibewgypsie
01-21-2005, 08:57 AM
If it is "new" you will probably find "casting sand" in there somewhere too. They never get them all the way cleaned out.

Lots of new cars/motorcycles have break in "trash" that must be drained out of them. If you get a new vehicle, don't pay any attention to the service bullitien, change the oil at 50 miles. Get the trash out.

Motorcycles are the same way, except with a "harley" get the oil tank flushed too. Simple to do and makes the motor near guaranteed to last ten years. It is a roller bearing motor and just the grit off the engine cylinders hone-job if you don't get it out can be a "cheater" to steal miles from you.

David

.RC.
01-23-2005, 06:22 PM
Well I cleaned it down a fair bit..Got all the preserving grease off it that was put on at the factory....There was a lot of cast iron dust in the knee casting....

Found out all the slides run on some blue plastic like substance(turcite i guess)I don't know how it will hold up????

Here some pics...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/OzRinger/millingmachine11.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/OzRinger/millingmachine2.jpg

[This message has been edited by Ringer (edited 01-23-2005).]

Elninio
01-23-2005, 07:43 PM
If it doesnt get in your way ignore it.

camfamdad
01-23-2005, 07:53 PM
I am anal, I (this is the reason for my recent posts on removeing bearings). I always take new stuff apart, clean it, reassemble, making sure everthing is nice and tight. Mill is pretty heavy, ut, pretty expensive to fix later, if you have the tools and the time, I say, clean her out nice and perty-like.

John