PDA

View Full Version : Keyway Slotting Attachment

bilby
02-04-2005, 08:33 AM
The current issue (Feb/Mar 2005) of Machinist's Workshop has a picture (Photo 9, Page 29) of a keyway slotting attachment. I had never before heard of such a device. Does anybody have more information about these? Like who makes them, how much they cost, etc? The makers name is visible in the photo, but I can't quite read it, even with a magnifying glass. Google did not turn up anything useful.

Spin Doctor
02-04-2005, 09:39 AM
Imported POS IMO. The stroke can't be varied and the tools that come with it are also P'sOS. For the occasional need to cut vertical slots a boring bar with a properly sharpened tool run by hand works as well or better.

JCHannum
02-04-2005, 10:20 AM
I have not seen these either, but for the application pictured, a file would have completed the job before the mill & attachment were even set up.

Paul Gauthier
02-04-2005, 11:35 AM
What issue is the offending divice in??? I know I don't have but I need to aquire it.

------------------
Paul G.

mattc
02-04-2005, 11:53 AM
unfortunatly for some of us they ran out of the (Feb/Mar 2005) issue, I just sucribed and they sent me a note that they are out and will postpone my subscript untill Apr/May and I cant get any localy http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//mad.gif

bilby
02-04-2005, 12:48 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Paul Gauthier:
What issue is the offending divice in??? I know I don't have but I need to aquire it.

</font>

As stated in the original post the issue is the current one, viz. Feb/Mar 2005. This is Volume 18, Number 1.

RPease
02-04-2005, 01:12 PM
That's great.......another collectors item.

I'll have to run to the local B&N and buy all I can find.

Ebay........here I come......

Maybe I can get enough to retire before congress spends all my SS money.....LOL

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

67chevelle
02-04-2005, 04:06 PM
mattc, they had a dozen copies at a local book store here in Idaho about a week ago. If you'd like, I can drop by and check again this weekend and mail you a copy for cost of the magazine plus actual shipping..

let me know
Mark

mcarrington@cableone.net

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mattc:
unfortunatly for some of us they ran out of the (Feb/Mar 2005) issue, I just sucribed and they sent me a note that they are out and will postpone my subscript untill Apr/May and I cant get any localy http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//mad.gif</font>

bilby
02-04-2005, 05:48 PM
This thread seems to have gotten off topic. So far only two replies deal with the question asked. The rest are all about a perceived shortage of this Feb/Mar issue, which has little to do with the question at hand. One of the on topic replies thinks the device is a POS and that a boring bar run in and out on the lathe works as well, while another thinks that a file would do as well or better. I have tried the boring bar method and found it tedious and it made a low quality keyway, maybe because of a lack of skill on my part. I suspect a file would produce an even worse looking keyway. I am curious about the device pictured in the article, and would appreciate hearing about anybody's actual experience with one (and not about not having a copy of the magazine). Compared with, say, acquiring a small shaper, or even a set of broaches and a hydaulic press, the thing pictured in the article ought to be a lot less expensive. Hemingway Kits, in the UK, has a keyway slotting attachment for around $125, not including shipping, but it doesn't look anything like the one pictured in the article. So the question is how well do they work and how much do they cost?

RPease
02-04-2005, 06:10 PM
Bilby.......your right. My reply was "off topic" and I apologize.

When (or if) I get "my" copy of the magazine in question, I'll certainly review the photo and see if I know anything about the attachment.

Maybe Neil knows who the manufacturer is. Did you try asking MW?

Regards,

Rodg

bilby
02-04-2005, 06:17 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RPease:
Bilby.......your right. My reply was "off topic" and I apologize.

When (or if) I get "my" copy of the magazine in question, I'll certainly review the photo and see if I know anything about the attachment.

Maybe Neil knows who the manufacturer is. Did you try asking MW?

Regards,

Rodg

</font>

No, all I have tried so far is a Google search (which turned up the Hemingway Kit) and this message board. I still have hopes that someone has experience with one of these things and will give us a report. It has been only a few hours since the initial post.

Zep
02-04-2005, 08:06 PM
dont know if anyone has posted this link http://www.lathes.co.uk/bridgeport/page4.html as of yet, but ive used what your asking about years ago and this is the closest , a little older than ive seen but basic design type. they work pretty good if used right and are not too sloppy. I've done internal external splines using a dividing head. kinda like strapping a shaper to your mill . Has positive points for doing larger keyways as the x and y table movements allow you remove sections of material rather than trying to form with a tool ground to width. Also a more accurate keyway can be achieved because of the ability to sneak up on the size. granted a shaper will do the same thing in the right hands but you dont see too many around anymore. hope this helps somewhat.

crewchief
02-05-2005, 12:36 AM
bilby dont know if this will help or not but search engine web ferret will find any thing thats worth finding down load it free
cc

bilby
02-05-2005, 07:36 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zep:
dont know if anyone has posted this link http://www.lathes.co.uk/bridgeport/page4.html as of yet, but ive used what your asking about years ago and this is the closest , a little older than ive seen but basic design type. they work pretty good if used right and are not too sloppy. I've done internal external splines using a dividing head. kinda like strapping a shaper to your mill . Has positive points for doing larger keyways as the x and y table movements allow you remove sections of material rather than trying to form with a tool ground to width. Also a more accurate keyway can be achieved because of the ability to sneak up on the size. granted a shaper will do the same thing in the right hands but you dont see too many around anymore. hope this helps somewhat. </font>

Zep:
This looks like it would do the job all right. But I have a little Taiwan made mill/drill, not a Bridgeport. One of these attachments would probably cost much more than my mill drill plus its DRO and power x-axis feed all put together. The item pictured in the MW article didn't look to be expensive, although we all know that appearances can be deceiving in such matters. Thanks for your input. It was interesting to see what you could put on a Bridgeport if you could afford it.

bilby
02-05-2005, 07:40 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by crewchief:
bilby dont know if this will help or not but search engine web ferret will find any thing thats worth finding down load it free
cc </font>

crewchief:
Better than Google???? This I have to see!

spddsgn
02-05-2005, 10:28 AM
Bilby,
That Slotting Attachment is in the 2003-2004 KBC tool catalog Page 868 Part # 1-541-500 KBC brand. Price is $1020.00. Seems fairly expensive for a 2" stroke. I purchased a few years back a small Fuji Mill with a slotting attachment built in it has 6" of stroke can hold a 1" tool. I have never found any info on the fuji or have ever seen another one since.
Jeff

mattc
02-05-2005, 11:03 AM
not to be off topic again but..
67chevelle if you can get a copy I will gladly pay you for it I would email you off list but I dont know how my email is
mdc11@cvinternet.net

thanks, Matt in AK

bilby
02-05-2005, 11:16 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spddsgn:
Bilby,
That Slotting Attachment is in the 2003-2004 KBC tool catalog Page 868 Part # 1-541-500 KBC brand. Price is $1020.00. Seems fairly expensive for a 2" stroke. I purchased a few years back a small Fuji Mill with a slotting attachment built in it has 6" of stroke can hold a 1" tool. I have never found any info on the fuji or have ever seen another one since.
Jeff</font>

Jeff:
Thanks. I have that catalog. That answers my question. It costs more than I would be willing to put out. I might think about it for a third of that price, though. --bilby

bilby
02-05-2005, 11:54 AM
Here's a link to a keyway slotting attachment for a lot less (about one eighth as much) money: http://www.hemingwaykits.com/acatalog/Keyway_Slotting_Attachment.html. It appears that it is intended for attachment to a lathe rather than a mill. The page doesn't say much about its capabilities, and it is a kit, so you have some work to do to get a working unit. Plus there would be a shipping charge from the UK, I'm guessing 10% of the selling price or so. The quoted price of 67.79 GBP converts to 126.97 USD. Anybody have any experience with these?

Spin Doctor
02-05-2005, 02:20 PM
When I refered to the slotting attratchment in question I was speaking from experience. We had one at work and it blew up on the first serious job we tried to use it on. The boring bar technique I mentioned is similiar to the lathe method but done in the milling machine using a bar/tool combo that is only long enough to do the job in question. Usually only used to cut small blind keyways or to cut square corners in holes. Additional uses are to cut lube channels in journal bearings and such. If one has a BP and really feels the need for a slotting attachment the BP ones do show up on ebay

zl1byz
02-05-2005, 02:39 PM
The BP slotters are a nice bit of kit. I wish I had one on the back of my BP. Over here in NZ they are like rocking horse s**t to find and gold plated when you do.
I have plenty of space so I'm looking for a shaper to fill this need. More bang for your buck from where I'm looking.

John.

JCHannum
02-05-2005, 05:16 PM
The Hemingway kit is nothing more than an attachment that is hand operated to cut keyways in the same manner as using a toolbit in a boring bar and moving the carriage back & forth. It looks like a bit too much money for something that simple.

As far as the KBC attaahment, I had not noticed it prior to this. I see that is is rated at maximum RPM of 250. That is possibly why Spin Dr's blew up.

As far as filing, and the accuracy obtained goes, that is directly proportional to the amount of practice involved. How to get that practice? Tackle the job, take your time and take pride in a job well done.

franco
02-05-2005, 08:57 PM
Bilby,

I fabricated a keyway cutter similar to the Hemingway one for a lathe a bit bigger than a Myford a few years ago. It works OK, and is an improvement on winding the carriage back and forth. You can only take very light cuts though, and for any keyway over 3/16" it becomes very good exercise.

It was not difficult to make. There was an article in MEW some time ago - sorry, cannot find the issue - about making one from a casting kit which I used as a guide.

franco

Spin Doctor
02-05-2005, 09:41 PM
As far as the KBC attaahment, I had not noticed it prior to this. I see that is is rated at maximum RPM of 250. That is possibly why Spin Dr's blew up.

Actually no. While I was not using the item at the time I did ordewr it as a possible problem sloving tool. We figured that if it managed to keep an engine assembly line from being shut-down for tem minutes once in all the time we ahve it, it has more than paid for itself. The tool in question was clearly marked for maximum spindle RPM and was actually running at around 125 IIRC. The housing literally broke in two

Jesse168
02-06-2005, 02:54 AM
Try looking for a Climax key slotter. We have one at work for taking out on jobs. You clamp the machine to your work and it has an eight inch travel.

vmil3
02-06-2005, 04:30 AM
Jesse168 the Climax portable mill is for external key ways, I think bilby wants to cut an internal key way.
I never noticed the one in KBC catlog, BUT I have used National Machine Tool Co. keyseating millers, http://www.keyseaters.com/
Once at their web site, on page 2 it shows a pic of the milling tool. the little shaft at the top goes in a drill chuck or end mill adapter, the shaft on the side is to keep the miller body from rotating, a woodruff type cutter is at the bottom of the miller body, what you can't see is on the bottom of the small vertical shaft there is 2 to 3 drive pins that turn the cutter (pushing on the back flank of the cutter teeth cutting the key way in one pass. I have driven them with a drill press, milling machine, and a lathe from the head stock spindle. National has been making them for over a 100 yrs. These millers can be modified to cut splines in a bore! They make them to cut up to 1" wide key ways. I even spotted some Ebay awile back,I was the only bidder. I don't think that the miller is cheap in price new, but I think lower cost than the KBC one.

------------------
Doug

spddsgn
02-06-2005, 01:08 PM
Here are a couple pictures of my Fugi with the slotter attachment.

thanks,
jeff
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v696/spddsgn/Shop/FujiMill5.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v696/spddsgn/Shop/FujiMill3.jpg