X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George_Race
    • Feb 2011

Opting Out Of Google AdChoices

This is not a complaint about this web site, but information for those of you who may wish to opt-out of google AdSense. When on a sight, such as this with an AdChoices box like the one on the left side, google uses your stored cookies to direct ads to the display box to get you to click on an item of interest, that indirectly pays google and or the host provider, using "Pay Per Click" technology. This is the kind of thing that pays sites like Facebook, Google, etc... millions of dollars a week. That is their business and why there are in existence.

You can tell your particular internet browser that you don't want to store "cookies" on your computer, but that makes it difficult to log into many sites, that require a cookie on your computer for access with a user name and password. When you click on the "Remember Me" box, after putting in your User Name and Password you are telling the site to store a cookie with your sign in information on your computer. Next time you visit the site, it know who you are and the sign in is much easier. Those kind of cookies are not the harmful ones and probably are not being tracked by the web site owner. (see my closing comments about my site cookies)

When you do a google search on any item, they place a "Google Cookie" on your computer with the item searched for being targeted. This leads to your getting unwanted web page ads, based on that particular cookie. These are the cookies that are a PITA for most of us. And it is not just google, but any search engine that you may opt to use. Now you know how often, when you visit even a web site for the first time, something of your interest may be pushed at your during your visit.

Here is what you can do to get away from these ads being pushed to your screen by Google. First click on the AdChoices icon at the top of the advertising box on the upper left of this page. That will take you to the Google site where you can choose to opt-out of them tracking your cookies. Click on the "Ads Preferences Manager" link. It will bring up a list of all of your cookies that Google is tracking and give you the opportunity to remove them one by one. And, you may be surprised at how many and the kind of things that google is tracking about your interests. Everybody should do this, it can be a real eye opener!

Doing that will GREATLY reduce the number of ads coming to the Google AdChoices box on the left of your screen. Yes, that will take money out of this webs site providers pocket by not having any "Pay Per Click" income from item that may be of interest to you, solely because at one time, who knows when, you used google search to look up some information, thereby setting a cookie on your computer for that information you looked up.

Cookies only have one purpose on your computer, to help others track where you go and what your interests are so you can be targeted for promotions of one kind or another as you surf the web. In addition, if for some reason you leave your email address on a site, that information can end up in the cookie as well. As an example, this leads to you getting email from 20 different car companies after you searched for a particular model of car or truck, where you were ask to leave an email contact address. But that is a whole other story and adventure to talk about.

All of the other search engines, like Bing, yahoo, eBay, twitter, Wikipedia, amazon, etc... are making millions targeting you and selling your interests to commercial enterprise, all based on your cookie information. Federal regulations have forced all of them to provide an opt-out opportunity to all users, but believe me, it is not always easy to find on their site!

Hopefully this information will be of some help to others. You can probably tell, sometimes these kind of things get my dander up and it leads to me trying to provide an "ah ha" teaching moment to the reader.

And in closing, yes, when you visit my website, I place a cookie on your computer too! I don't know who you are, but do know where you are and what you were interested in on my site. Go to my site, http://www.mrrace.com and click on the "View My Stats" link in the lower left corner of any of my pages. You will be amazed at the amount of information I get from visitors. In my case, this is statistical information only, so I can see how my web site is being used by my visitors.
    Welcome to the world of BIG BROTHER!

As always, comments and questions are always welcomed,
    George
    My Web Site
    www.mrrace.com
    Builder & Test Pilot N73EX
  • dp
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by George_Race View Post
    This is not a complaint about this web site, but information for those of you who may wish to opt-out of google AdSense.
    I presume you know that to opt out of AdSense Google has to set a cookie on your system telling Google you don't want AdSense cookies. That cookie follows you everywhere you go on the internet. Other than a little bandwidth I'm not sure what you gain as you are still being tracked. That to me is the greater offense and I've solved it by putting everything known to be related to Google in my Proxy gateway. Requests from my browser to any of these blocked sites get nothing back.

Comment

• flylo
      • Apr 2011

I've already opted out & clicked o adchoices & the google page came up & said no cookie & wanted me to sign in & get a cookir. Why am I still getting these ads?

Comment

• flylo
        • Apr 2011

DP, How do I opt out via the proxy gateway?

Comment

• dp
          • Mar 2005

You need a proxy gateway. That is a package that sits between you and the internet and intercepts all requests and processes them according to rules you create. I have a group of servers in my home that augment my commercial hosting service and one of the processes that runs in the firewall group is a proxy server (squid is the product I use). It is a simple thing to set up a proxy using a Linux VM running in one of the free hypervisors such as VMware Player or Oracle's VirtualBox. Since they also act as caching servers they speed up the connections you tend to revisit often. Once the proxy server is in place you configure your browser to make all requests to the proxy, and the proxy will pass the requests through its rules and forward any requests to the destination site. It also processes the incoming stuff to see if it already has the object in cache.

They're not for everyone but they sure work great.

Comment

• Fasttrack
            • Jul 2005

LOL

Originally posted by AdSense
            Your demographics
            Below you can review the inferred demographics that Google has associated with your cookie. We infer your age and gender based on the websites you've visited.

Well, they're only off by 32 - 41 years. Not too bad, I guess

EDIT: Nooooo!!!! The old smiley faces are gone! Where's my blue "eek" face???

Comment

• wierdscience
              • Jan 2003

I just took a piece of printer paper and folded it three times lengthwise to the width of the ad box and scotch taped it to the monitor in a handy flip down fashion
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• wierdscience
                • Jan 2003

Yes,and it's the same crappy collection too.I was hoping for some new ones

Last edited by wierdscience; 07-19-2012, 09:07 PM.
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• George_Race
                  • Feb 2011

flylo, there is an easy way to hide behind a proxy server by using an application.
                  Go here: http://www.ninjacloak.com
                  There are several of these kind of applications out there. I have used this one, from various locations and it really does work smoothly. Is neat to have on a laptop when you are on the road.
                  George
                  My Web Site
                  www.mrrace.com
                  Builder & Test Pilot N73EX

Comment

• dp
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by George_Race View Post
                    flylo, there is an easy way to hide behind a proxy server by using an application.
                    Go here: http://www.ninjacloak.com
                    There are several of these kind of applications out there. I have used this one, from various locations and it really does work smoothly. Is neat to have on a laptop when you are on the road.
                    George
                    The only problem is they're harvesting every click you make. They pay their bills by selling what they learn about you and your contacts. Particularly, reading your webmail over your shoulder and perhaps even scraping your login information. Those sites earn a zero for the trust factor.

Comment

• Evan
                      • May 2003

I use Google Chrome. Funny thing about Chrome is that you can opt out of all Google analytics completely with no cookies or other tracking. No usage stats, no crash reports, no location tracking and no third party cookies. They still haven't figured out where I am. Being on satellite also helps.

I also don't use webmail and all my mail goes through my own server. I also run Ghostery with everything blocked.
                      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• flylo
                        • Apr 2011

George, I've flown a 701 with a 912 nice plane, little slow but nice anyway. I didn't see it on the registry. Is it still flying? I've has a lot of Taylorcrafts. Have a '38 Tcraft, a '47 V-tail Bonanza & building a 160HP Tcraft Exp on Amfbs. If you get this way(Kalamazoo) let me know. Who's the IA in a wheelchair by you that does all those great biplanes?

Comment

• flylo
                          • Apr 2011

Evan, please explain ghostery to me.

Comment

• Elninio
                            • Oct 2004

Web browsers block cookies too, yet adsense always knows where I've been, so what's the difference? Google does this for websites running adsense on it too - you don't have to do a google search for it to drop a cookie. Google has a policy that it will store it's data of you indefinitely, so deleting the server-side information is not doing anything. One of the clauses in their terms of use says so. See stallman.org and scroogle.org if you feel like you're being treated unfairly.

Comment

• aostling
                              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                              I use Google Chrome.
                              I downloaded Chrome today, and was prepared to like it. But I found there is no way to display your bookmarks in a permanent sidebar, as in Firefox. The drop-down bookmarks folder in Chrome is inferior; you have to click on the parent folder every time you want to see its expansion. And you can't drag a bookmark from one folder to another, or re-arrange them.

I went back to Firefox.
                              Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Working...
                              X