X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boucher
    • Jul 2005

Cleaning solvents?

In the past I have used a lot of diesel fuel for cleaning, followed by a rinse with varsol. The odor of both of these has become irritatingly bothersome to me over the last couple of years. I don't remember where I saw it but there was a reference to odorless kerosene. Is there such a thing or is this a reference to the odor when burned in a stove.

1. What is Varsol and what are mineral spirits. Could the mineral spirits replace the Varsol washing off the diesel and would it leave a dry surface?
    Byron Boucher
    Burnet, TX
  • aboard_epsilon
    • Oct 2004

yes there is odourless kero ..

its sold here in the UK as fuel called ROLF : reduced odour liquid fuel.

a clear C1 kero that had exceptional burn qualities ..you never had to replace a wick

i used to buy it in bulk ..

until the UK government banned it being sold in bulk when they found out it had the same viscosity as diesel.
    now sold in 5 ltr quantities at over £7.oo a gallon for use with alladin lamps etc

now the poor offering we get for bulk has yellow die in it ...wicks last a week before they stop wicking...........and Ive found only burns viably in gauze dommed, asbestos wicked, 1960's heaters.

don't know what varsol is ..

mineral spirits ..is that white spirit or Stoddard solvent ..

i use cheap washing powder to de-grease ..mix with hot water ..half and half ..so good, it'll take paint off if you leave it there long enough.

all the best.mark

Comment

• SGW
      • Apr 2001

I think "mineral spirits" is generic Varsol.

There are some pretty good detergents these days that will take off crud remarkably well, especially if the solution (and parts) are boiled.
      ----------
      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

• jimmstruk
        • Jun 2005

Boucher, here in Topeka Ks I go to the Chevron or Phillips distributor and buy what I think is stoddard solvent. It is very low odor but a tad expensive. Wife bought me a small parts washer at a garage sale that had about 3 quarts of the most stinking stuff imaginable in it. I disposed of that stuff in short order.JIM
        jim

Comment

• PTSideshow
          • Nov 2005

odorless kerosene is sold as lamp oil in Wally world and K marts. Near the fake hurricane lamps.
          You can use acetone as a finial cleaner or a water remover. It what I use before putting patina's on metal or before painting a surface but that may also bother you.
          Glen
          Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
          I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
          All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

• jimmstruk
            • Jun 2005

Also, I did not mention that the stoddard solvent, when clean is dryer (less oily) than diesel fuel or kerosene. JIM
            jim

Comment

• Scishopguy
              • Feb 2006

Solvents

Also, Home Despot carries lamp oil in 5 gallon (metal) cans. It is odorless and appears to be #1 kero or stoddard. I bought some a couple hurricane seasons ago and am now using it for other than lamp duty.
              Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Comment

Working...
              X