• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PTSideshow
    • Nov 2005

OT This should put a smile on your mug!

Being into pipes music, the wife's cousin sent this one:

As a bagpiper, I was asked by a funeral director to play at a graveside service for a homeless man who had no family or friends. The funeral was to be held at a cemetery in the remote countryside and this man would be the first to be laid to rest there.
    As I was not familiar with the backwoods area, I became lost and being a typical man, did not stop for directions. I finally arrived an hour late. I saw the backhoe and the crew who were eating lunch but the hearse was nowhere in sight. I apologized to the workers for my tardiness and stepped to the side of the open grave where I saw the vault lid already in place.
    I assured the workers I would not hold them up for long but this was the proper thing to do. The workers gathered around, still eating their lunch. I played out my heart and soul.
    As I played the workers began to weep. I played and I played like I'd never played before, from Going Home and The Lord is My Shepherd to Flowers of the Forest . I closed the lengthy session with Amazing Grace and walked to my car.
    As I was opening the door and taking off my coat, I overheard one of the workers saying to another, Sweet Jeezuz, Mary 'n Joseph, I have never seen nothin' like that before and I've been putting in septic tanks for twenty years.
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only
  • lynnl
    • Jan 2002

Damn you PTSideshow! I was nearly in tears and all choked up myself... then I got to the last line.

That's a good one; never heard or read it before.
    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

• Alistair Hosie
      • Aug 2002

Sorry I don't believe a wordAlistair
      Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

• winchman
        • Aug 2003

Thanks, that's the funniest story I've heard in a LONG time.

Roger
        Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

• SGW
          • Apr 2001

Here's a true one. My wife is a minister. She did a wedding once, out in a hillside apple orchard. The bride and groom hired a piper to play. They got through their vows and the piper started in on the recessional. Whereupon a hound belonging to one of the guests got up, walked over, sat down beside the piper, and began to howl.
          ----------
          Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
          Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
          Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
          There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
          Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
          Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

• kc5ezc
            • Mar 2001

Ah, Glen, you never cease to amaze me. A Piper, huh. Wish you had had the pipes with you at NAMES a couple of years ago when I met you. I like bagpipe music.
            Maybe I will see you again and you will give us a little demo.
            John Burchett
            in Byng OK

Comment

• PTSideshow
              • Nov 2005

Not me just like the pipe music! the only instrument I can play is the radio well now the Ipod!
              Glen
              Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
              I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
              All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

• speedy
                • Jul 2004

I can hardly see the screen for tears in my eyes ! Thanks for lifting my day a notch Glen
                Ken.

Comment

Working...
                X