X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DFMiller
    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by RandyZ View Post
    Kermit's hasn't flown for years. The wood has deteriorated too badly to be airworthy.
    Not according to Kermit.

I expect he will get it going.
    Looking the latest references it seems to be the only one flying. I expect the one in Victoria to fly soon.

None the less its a great event to see one flying.

Dave

Comment

• EddyCurr
      • May 2009

A portrait of a Mosquito pilot who flew first with the 418 squadron and later with the 406.

At the time this was painted, the pilot had received a bar to add to his DFC. He later
      received a second bar (1945.10.24), marking the third time he had been awarded the DFC.

During WWII, I have read that a total of 60 DFC** were awarded. Of these, I understand
      that six were bestowed upon members of the RCAF.

Flying Officer John Todd (J T, T J, Johnny, Johnnie) Caine and his navigator Pilot Officer
      Earl William Boal flew Mosquitos in night and day operations. They came home, raised
      families and lived into old age.

Mentioned in dispatches: John Todd "Johnny" Caine

Mr Boal's obituary: Earl William Boal

I am sure they would both be thrilled by the news that new Mosquitos are taking
      to the air.

Comment

• The Artful Bodger
        • Apr 2009

This is a (interesting?) story from our local newspaper in Ashburton, New Zealand.

Ashburton, New Zealand

Comment

• macona
          • Aug 2006

The owner says about the resoration "It's a lost art that we dont have in the United States anymore."

Sorry, I call BS on that...

Comment

• The Artful Bodger
            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by macona View Post
            The owner says about the resoration "It's a lost art that we dont have in the United States anymore."

Seems those Jafas are just better at it...
            Last edited by The Artful Bodger; 11-24-2012, 11:59 PM.
            Ashburton, New Zealand

Comment

• EddyCurr
              • May 2009

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
              This is a (interesting?) story from our local newspaper in Ashburton, New Zealand.

http://www.aviationnews.co.nz/news/9...is-a-Mosquito/
              A sad tale.

In my community, Mosquito B.35 VP189/CF-HMQ is on static display at the Alberta
              Aviation Museum, but looks like it could be fired up on a moment's notice. Their
              website appears to have been co-opted, so I offer this image by author Bzuk,
              hosted by Wikipedia.

To the south, after a tumultuous history, Lynn Garrison's Mosquito RS700/CF-HMS was
              delivered to the Bomber Command Museum of Canada in Nanton, Alberta where it is to
              resume a long-stalled restoration.
              Last edited by EddyCurr; 11-25-2012, 12:10 AM.

Comment

• EddyCurr
                • May 2009

Originally posted by DFMiller View Post
                Thanks Evan
                I question the claim as the only one airworthy.
                Kermit Weeks has his at Oshkosh and there is one sitting at Victoria Air Service
                almost ready to go.
                Dave
                In Mr Weeks' blog for Oshkosh 2010 (halfway down), he mentions there about
                TT.35 RS712 that:

Originally posted by KermitWeeks
                "I got a chance to hook up with an old friend, the World’s Greatest Aircraft
                Collection’s DeHavilland Mosquito! We were very fortunate it was on display at
                the EAA Museum and not in Miami when Hurricane Andrew hit in 1992. It has
                been many years since it has flown (1989) and once I get some additional
                hangars built at Fantasy of Flight, I intend to truck it back to Florida where
                we will go through it and get her flying again."
                The last airworthy Mosquito, T3 RR299/G-ASKH crashed 1996.07.21 during an
                airshow flight at Barton. Kevin Moorhouse and Steve Watson perished.

Comment

• loose nut
                  • Sep 2006

The Mosquito impressed the Germans enough that they decided to make there own version of it. They even named theirs the Moskito, it had a performance equal to the British version, also made out of wood but the only factory that could make the glue for them was bombed and that was the end of the project. Only 2 where made.
                  The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

• Evan
                    • May 2003

I have worked on wooden aircraft. The most notable was a 3/4 scale replica of the Mustang. I had to make new ailerons for it because of water damage and rot. I don't care much for wood working although I am OK at it. In aircraft it is an entirely different story than building a chest of drawers. All solid wood is perfectly clear and must have grain with a slope of less that one inch in 12 feet. That wood is usually sitka spruce although some pine or hardwoods may be used in places. The birch plywood is excellent to work with, much like sheet metal. It amazes me how it can be made with five plies just 2 mm thick (.079").
                    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• The Artful Bodger
                      • Apr 2009

We have a Simmonds Spartan on display at our museum, it is a rather pretty little biplane from 1929, The fuselage is pretty much monocoque 3mm ply.

BTW, this biplane has four identical, and interchangeable wings. Components of the tail, fin and horizontal stabiliser, rudder and elevators are interchangeable too.

We have a few wooden framed gliders on display too and one is shown without fabric covering, some people are amazed at the thin sections of ply used to reinforce the corners etc.
                      Ashburton, New Zealand

Comment

• topct
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by macona View Post

We have these folks here in Spokane doing some very nice work.

Gene

Comment

• lazlo
                          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
                          A Mosquito could fly the same bomb load to Berlin as a B-17 bomber
                          That didn't make sense to me: the B-17 is a massive bomber. I just looked it up, and the B-17's payload is 8,000 lbs. The Mosquito's is 3,000 lbs. Now, with drop tanks, the B-17's bomb load drops to 4,500 lbs, but a similar fuel overhead would apply to the Mosquito as well.

But most importantly, the Mosquito was very lightly armed, and not meant for deep penetration missions. The B-17 was literally a flying battleship.
                          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

• The Artful Bodger
                            • Apr 2009

The Mozzie could bomb Berlin carring a 4,000LB "Cookie" bomb and would fly relays of missions to Berlin, landing back home and taking off again the same night!
                            Ashburton, New Zealand

Comment

• The Artful Bodger
                              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by lazlo View Post
                              But most importantly, the Mosquito was very lightly armed, and not meant for deep penetration missions. .
                              Mosquitos made daylight raids over Berlin including on Hitler's birthday, you cant get much deeper than that..
                              Ashburton, New Zealand

Comment

• willmac
                                • Mar 2007

The Mosquito could and frequently did carry 4,000 bomb loads- a cookie bomb was 4,000 lbs and the Mosquito was used to carry these. It was lightly armoured but it was extremely fast - quicker than virtually any fighter of the time and it had a good range. Despite or because of its minimal armour, losses were not as high as other bomber types.
                                Bill

Comment

Working...
                                X