X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rock_breaker
    • Oct 2009

Tie rod end broken

I have a broken taperd steering stud bolt on my Branson tractor. Ivestigation shows it was loose for a while and wallowed the inside taper on the steering arm. Is there a reamer that can clean up the wallowed out taper? I am replaceing the tie rod end with one made for USA vehicles.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ray
  • J. R. Williams
    • Aug 2003

Reamers for that purpose are made. Do a search for 'tie rod end reamers'

Comment

• flutedchamber
      • Feb 2009

I repaired a neighbors 9N Ford tractor with the same problem by boring the steering arm for a shouldered bushing. The shoulder of the bushing would be on the small end of the taper. You can bore the taper for the new tie rod end while it is still in the lathe. Press the bushing in with red Loctite and a .0015 to .002 press fit.

The bushing will never move and you can't even see the repair. Tie rod end reamers are available, but not very cheap unless you have a lot of work for them.

If you are going with a tie rod end with a larger taper, you could bolt the steering arm on a faceplate and bore the taper on a lathe.

Comment

• rock_breaker
        • Oct 2009

Thanks guys
        A limited use tool is definitely not good for my budget, however I will check at the parts store. The repair on the 9N Ford soounds like the way to go. Will know more after checking with the parts store.

Comment

• flutedchamber
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by rock_breaker View Post
          Thanks guys
          A limited use tool is definitely not good for my budget, however I will check at the parts store. The repair on the 9N Ford soounds like the way to go. Will know more after checking with the parts store.
          If I can help in any way, just PM me.

Comment

• shoeboxpaul
            • Jan 2014

Just joined so I am late in responding.
            Try this webaddress: SpeedwayMotors.com
            They sell taper spiral reamers with a 7 degree taper and ones with a 10 degree taper. Not cheap. Repairmans reamer is sold in hardware stores, and Snap-On. I do not know the taper of them but, a lot less expensive and they have straight flutes.
            Last edited by shoeboxpaul; 01-14-2014, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X