Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: RIP John DeLorean

Post OT: RIP John DeLorean

The guy responsible for some of GMs best loved cars and the car which bore his name, gone. http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/03/20/obi...ean/index.html

I read his book "on a Clear Day You Can See General Motors" years and years ago. I have always suspected he was set up by his enemies when he got busted for smuggling the cocaine. He did not have a lot of positive things to say about GM senior executive management, despite having been a senior executive of GM himself.

I liked his idea of using Stainless Steel body panels.

I always said Rubbermaid should build car bodies. Saturn is close but not there yet. (we have one)
    Minor things bounce off a Saturn, no effect. But you can't crumple it like a trashcan. Rubbermaid bodies, roller bearing air cooled diesel engines (that'd outlast most drivers)

Delorean was a good guy, I think he got entrapped too. Most the guys with too much money invest in either drugs or other perverse things. Probably out of boredom.

Deloreans were cheap, now perhaps like works of art they will increase in value.

Met John after his little orderal with " the man " seemed to be pretty down to earth. Walked through the shop I was working at to look at a restoration we were doing on a classic car. His brother George is another highly skilled machinist/engine builder that I would consider a master. I think he works for World Products still as a head expert on BBC. Overall, a loss of a great thinker of our century.

Thumbs up

"The credit belongs to those people who are actually in the arena . . . who know the great enthusiasms, the great devotions to a worthy cause; who at best, know the triumph of high achievement; and who, at worst, fail while daring greatly, so that their place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt
    please visit my webpage:
    http://motorworks88.webs.com/

"Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor timid spirits who neither victory or defeat."
    T. Roosevelt 1899
    One of us has a mutated quote.

Interesting sidenote,

The guy that prosecuted DeLorian, Robert Perry, is now a superior court judge in Los Angeles. He's an arrogant, jerk! (Perry, that is. I don't know DeLorian.)

JimJohn, It may be you with the mutated quote but not sure I can say with certainty that I have seen the other quote many times and never yours. Yours reads better and quicker, just don't know if Teddy actually said it!

If GM wanted to bring him down they only needed the media. Plant a few kernals of mis-information in the right place and watch'em blossum and take out a great thinker of our time.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

According to: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Theodore_Roosevelt

The quote is:
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in that grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."

Good quote!