Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T pull behind scraper

Question O/T pull behind scraper

Hi All;
    Anyone got plans for a pull/tow behind scraper that can be used with a 14hp garden tractor, or know where I can get them?
    Thsnks
    Jim
    Jim

Get two lengths of used rail or 4" to 6" I beam. Weld on a couple of pad eyes. Chain them together one 2 feet behind the other to make a drag so each is at a shallow but opposite angle parallel to the tractor axle. Hitch the drag with a chain bridle to the tractor's drawbar.

Ten trips up and down a gravel driveway will make a big improvement in the bumps and ruts. Do it once a week thereafter. You'll still have to do a little shovel and fill work but that's part of the fun.

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 04-27-2005).]

Does that work better than a standard rear blade on a 3-point? I've been grooming my driveway with that for a couple years, and I'd really like something better. Heavier is probably what I need.

Assuming you have a 3 point hitch; look for a 3 or 4 foot box scraper at tractor supply stores; probably will cost about $300 to $400.
    The best for grading and scraping using a tractor. Anything longer than 4 foot would be too much for 14 hp.
    If you don't have 3 point hitch on your tractor then get a plow blade and use it backwards to scrape.

Forrest,

that is a GREAT idea!!!!! i've been looking for a blade of some sort, and your idea is what i think i'll do. i just have to keep visiting the scrap yard to see when they bring in the next batch of I-beams. any excuse to visit the scrap yard.

andy b.
    The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

OK, thanks for the replies guys;
    Forrest,
    Yeah I have that, but I was looking for one I can adjust the heighth via wheels situated at the rear. I can't seem to find a picture of the one I am thinking about. I will be using it to grade low spots on the property. I have a Massey-ferguson 135 tractorwith front end loader rear scraper blade and a wood splitter, but the tires tear up the lawn, so anything to do with it is out.
    I priced turf tires for it, and they cost more that the tractor is worth, and might not even be able to get them in the size that fits this machine. At any rate, I appreciate your help.
    Jim

Ted;
    I have kind of been looking at the box scraper, but really don't know how they work. My uneducated guess would be to remove the tynes and just use the box, now if I do this, the box would scrape the medium flat and the excess would load into the box, then some of it would fill in the low spots, have I got this right?

[This message has been edited by shaque (edited 04-27-2005).]
    Jim

Shaque:

What is the height of the tire currently on the tractor. I can and have made adapters for the big truck tires for tractors. One recently I just burned out with a torch. Turf tires are wide and spread the load out? Right?

If so you might be able to get by with some wore out Offroader mudders. (get them for nothing) and mount them on rims. The cleats are what gives the yard damage if I am thinking correctly.

That's right they work like a champ. Only use the tines if you want to grade or landscape and remove large amounts of hard earth.
    I've had a 5 foot box scraper (since 1988) on a 33 hp New Holland. My scraper has two blades one for pulling and one for pushing. I have used it for all kinds of roadwork as well as landscaping.
    Another item that would work is a landscape rake. I don't have one but a friend says they work great on gravel or dirt roadways.
    I also have a plow blade that I can turn around and use like a drag scraper.
    Another point on the box scraper is that by adjusting the top link you can control the agressiveness of the scraping.

[This message has been edited by Ted Coffey (edited 04-27-2005).]

This is what you need. I'll rent it to ya!
    Diesel Kenbota Grader with front tiller.

CCWKen. That grader of yours is beautimous, but a small V8 Cat diesel engine would set it off nicely, or maybe a V4 Detroit, but then you'd likely have to get bigger axle and tires and----. It appears to me that you might have way too much time on your hands.

[This message has been edited by Artpro (edited 04-27-2005).]