Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Cummins Tools OK?

Post Is Cummins Tools OK?

Cummins Tools ( http://www.cumminstools.com/ ) has both the 7X12 mini-lathe and the mini-mill (R8 version) for $400 each versus $500 each at Grizzly.

Is anyone here familiar with Cummins and their customer service and quality?

Website looks like a junior version of Harbor Frights. Your post is first mention I've heard of this outfit. I would say you are on your own here, but Grizzly has a reasonably good reputation of standing behind their products and their QC is adequate. Cummins is an unknown quantity in this regard. It is interesting how they do their "About Us" webpage: The page comes up blank with a very long horizontal scroll bar at the bottom. The text starts at the screen edge with my resolution of 1024x768. Most of the text is about 18" out in right field.
    Steve
    Steve

BillH Guest

Copycat of Harbor Freight

Cummins is one of those traveling tool sales outfits. They commonly set up in parking lots and fire halls around here. Good luck getting any kind of customer support if anything goes wrong. They will be long gone til you figure out you've been had.
    Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)

I bought the 7x12 on E-bay from them. I got it for a few dollars less that what they sell it for on their website.

I called their customer service to confirm the bid and get tracking info and they were very friendly and helpful. I had it in my hands about 10 days after the auction- but I sent in a money order for it.

It was packed well and arrived in very good shape. It included all the acessories they list on the website with the lathe.

Compared to the 7x10 that I saw at Harbor Frieght the Cummins seems to be finished better.

I got it cleaned, lubed and aligned and have been very happy with it.

IOWOLF Guest

there are 2 cummins stores in omaha.
    FWIW

Cummins has been discussed on the minilathe forums for years, mostly good. They are also listed on minilathe.com, in the products comparison.
    For the minilathes, Homier is the price leader at $299, when they have them. Tehy also offer an accessory kit for $69.99 (ebay) or $99.99 (on their website).
    Cummins sells for $399, but includes accessories that you will wand, such as a steady rest, live center, etc. The included accessories seems to change, possibly as a way to adjust margin, so check what it comes with when you order. Don't hesitate to pick up the phone and ask them to include something additional.

of the mobile merchants and mystery metal sellers, i've found cummins to have the shadiest merchandise. poor castings. higher prices. in no way would i personally buy anything from them.

eta, i havent actually been to a HF store though...so maybe they are even worse.

[This message has been edited by weps (edited 05-17-2005).]

A lathe is an expensive machine, and it is expensive for a reason. The materials and workmanship required to produce a quality, precision tool are costly.

That is simplistic, but basically true. To shop for the cheapest machine you can find can be false economy in that you will stand a very good chance of getting exactly what you pay for, the cheapest machine there is.

While many of the imported machines may look alike, or use the same photos in their advertising, there can be large differences in the quality of the final product. After sale service can be a very important factor in choosing one of these machines, as it will quite likely be required at some time, and buying out the back of someone's pickup will lead to disappointment.
    Jim H.

Been to 3 Cummins tool sales, the first by accident and the other 2 local. Worst crap I've seen in the area of drill bits, hand and measuring tools. The lathe or mini mill are probably from the same plants as the HF and probably to a lower standard than Grizzly, Micromark or other importers who are involved with spec'ing the product.

At one show, almost bought a Chinese Milwaukee (somewhat of a misnomer) metal cutoff saw until I discovered it was a refurb. Later, discovered that a new one was only a few bucks more elsewhere.

Best deals are things like foam paint brushes, chip brushes, cheap tape (if it's getting thrown out), etc.

Anything with a cutting edge is a waste of money.