Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: She finally went tool shopping with me!

Talking She finally went tool shopping with me!

I got a couple of bucks for my birthday so I wanted to add to my tool collection. (That's why I've been posting so many questions the last day or two.) I asked my wife to go shopping with me and by golly she said, "OK"!!!

We looked at angle grinders. I was truly shocked at how expensive a 6.0 amp Bosch 4.5" angle grinder is at about $90. I'm glad she was there to see my surprise.

I think now she understands better why some of these things I buy are so expensive. Maybe I won't get so much flack when I'm spending 'our' money next time and not my birthday money.

Any of you have any tricks up your sleeves for getting the spouse to stay calm while you drop a wad of dead presidents for tool purchases?

Thanks,
    Dan

Wife loves to travel. I hate to travel. We have an agreement; She travels when and where she wants and I get to stay home and play with my "toys". I had done a miserable job, got a good chunk of change for it so decided to buy a new upright air compressor to use on my sand blast and move the old smaller one to the shop for general use.
    A few days passed and she asked just why I needed "another" air compressor. I just said for the sand blast and let it go.
    I waited about two days and then told her that she really hurt me with her question on the compressor. She got all defensive but I pushed on and said "when you are planning a trip, do I ask you why you need one when you just got back from Canada (or New England, Europe or the Panama Canal)?
    She knew I had her and I have never had another problem when I wanted to buy a tool or equipment!
    So, once in a while things do go our way!

Maybe I should get a second air compressor and everything will be fine.

Sam's Club has an 80 gallon Delta that I've had my eye on for a couple of weeks.

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 05-21-2005).]

It's all in choice of spouse....

My father-in-law has a shop in the garage. He had my wife working on an old Willys when she was ten. She is very OK with the whole deal. She has run her father's lathe and drill press, but won't mess with mine.

Now, she looks through the ads in the paper and finds stuff. Calls me at work and tells me so I can check on them on the way home......

She found me a shaper, and nagged me until I bought a mill. All I have to do is the laundry, which I can deal with AND be in the shop..............
    1530 0149 0201 0215 1121 1612 0211 0207 2140 2167 2177 1605

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Long before I was involved with machine tools I did cars. Shortly after we were married I bought a car for $1300. Did some fix-up on it and we were enjoying a ride in it one day and I decided to stop and check out another car. Chatting up the salesman he asked what I needed for trade on my car. I says $3000. My new wife blurts out " But you only paid $1300 for it." I look at her then the salesman and both me and the salesman start laughing. We left and I proceeded to explain the art of the car deal to her. That is the last time she has gone on a "deal" with me. We still laugh about it 30+ years later.
    lg
    no neat sig line

When I came back to the shop yesterday from the Rutland Tool parking lot sale, SWMBO just loved the new Starrett 4-1/2 swivel base bench vise. She thought I stole it at a price of $125.

She loves fine tools and machines as much as I do. She says not to buy cheap stuff, just buy quality tools and machines. It is cheaper in the long run.

Les

Only tip I got is to agonize over the purchase. "Gawd I hate to spend the money." "Screw'em, ain't no way I'll own one at that price" "I'll look it up on the web and see if maybe I can make one"

This goes on for about 2 or 3 days and eventually I get the "Honey, I know you really need one, just go pick one up and be done with it" NOW THE HARD PART Just got to show some hesitation. It's crucial. "Ah hell, let me think on it, the prices are just obscene" Two days letter, with a defeated look and tears standing in the corners of your eyes, you reluctantly admit you have no other choice and leave the house to get one.

This approach makes them feel they are doing something for you that you enjoy and women like that. Part of that nurturing thing. Think of the process as foreplay for a purchase not unlike that which takes place in the bedroom

Now if your idea of foreplay is brushing the Beer Nuts off your T-shirt as you holler down the hallway, "Honey, you undressed yet? You ready for me?" then this won't likely work for you as patience ain't one of your long traits.

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 05-22-2005).]
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

What is a SWMBO? Ya, right, I know I don't get out much. If ignorance is bliss, I sho is blissful...

Mine understands that money spent on tools nearly always comes back. Money spent on decorations etc does not.

Greg C.

SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed

i.e., the little woman.