Thread: AUCTION, OMAHA

IOWOLF Guest

Post AUCTION, OMAHA

I'm too lazy to go read the fine print, but I was wondering how Dovebid works? Anyone use it before?

Is it an easy process to bid and acquire something without physically having to be there?

-Adrian

When in doubt, doubt your doubt.
    www.metalillness.com

I avoid DoveBid if at all possible. Look at a 16% buyer's premium and $25.00 registration fee to bid on line. Add sales tax to that in most cases as well.

If you attend the auction and pay in cash, it is a 12-1/2% buyer's premium and sales tax.

[This message has been edited by JCHannum (edited 05-27-2005).]
    Jim H.

And I doubt that machinery goes cheap either.
    Mark

IOWOLF Guest

OH , BUT It is in the "rust belt" where machines go cheap, as was said on another post.

I agree with jc stay away from Dove. There online bidding is a pain in the a-- if you are at the auction site, to much wasted time on small items. The best is Miedema Auctions they get the job done and fast. I like the the real trashy auctions as there is always at least one item that is good and most of the people the are just there for the coffee and donut. I went to one in Muskegon Tuesday and the place was a real dump, but I bought a Jet VBS 350 band saw with a blade welder for $200.00. It is a 20 years old but looks brand new as it saw very little use. It was dirty so I cleaned it up and what a nice saw it is. No one seemed intrested in it.Most of the guys were spending their money on dull end mills, dull reamers and drills and old micrometers that were just junk. The dumps usually are not advertised much and do not draw a big crowd but there is always a diamond in the rough to be found. We went to a real dump 3mos. ago and my buddy picked a Burr King grinder for $125.00 and sold it on E-Bay for $910.00. When you go to some of these dumps you can understand why they went out of business, you could never make a living on machines that only a scrap dealer would bid on.

Omaha is in the rust belt? That's news to me. Maybe the "wheat rust" belt......

I poked around the Dovebid photos when I first saw the ad a couple weeks ago.I had some interest in this sale mostly because its about half a mile from my house. But since then they've released the auction catalog and three of the most interesting machines to a home shop putterer are MIA. The mislabeled Hardinge HLV-H, Pratt-Whitney Model C 12x30, and the Linley Jig Borer have dissappeared. Probably for the best as now I won't have to waste any time dreaming about how to come up with the dough to blow at the sale. I was already scheming to buy one of the forklifts and just drive my newfound treasures home with it!

Still, there might be a bargain to be had for a surface grinder if one were so inclined. As many of them for sale there should be a couple bargains slipping through the cracks. Also if someone local needs a granite surface plate there are a slug of them to choose from.

Dick

IOWOLF Guest

the miller 304 cc cv welders are 1 or 3 phase and is the only welder a home shop will ever need, and there are other things like tooling.

BTW.the employees got 1st pick last week.Iknow a guy that got one of the welders for $1500.

People will pay good money for some of the damndest junk you ever imagined. My boss sold a 20" x 80" Summit lathe to a guy the other day for $6500, and then sold him a totally trashed 3 jaw chuck for it for another $350. That lathe and chuck together weren't worth $500 to anyone. You could shave with the leadscrew, and the cross slide must have had at least .030 slop in the middle of its travel, even when the gibs were tightened down so tight they'd squeak at the ends, the tailstock ram taper was completely shot, as well as loose in the casting. Cross slide and compound screws and nuts were totally shot, as well as the clutch mechanism. We used it to twist hot rolled square stock in the fab shop for wrought iron fencing, and that was about all it was good for.
    We also sold a Cincinnatti no 3 mill awhile back for $9500, more than they paid for it 20 yrs ago and they got screwed royally when they bought it. That thing was so utterly slopped out you couldn't even cut a decent 3/4" keyway with it, besides being as noisy as a running jet engine.
    I sure don't agree with screwing people like that, but I didn't sell the stuff, the boss did. The really funny part to me is that both these machines were under power, and the buyers ran them both themselves before plunking down the cash. They oohed and ahhed over the Summit's bolt on replaceable ways, which were original, and just about the only part of the machine that wasn't total junk.
    With people like that around who needs Ebay or auctions to unload their junk?

[This message has been edited by pete913 (edited 05-28-2005).]

[This message has been edited by pete913 (edited 05-28-2005).]
    Pete