This is really more of a mini-project, although I've been slowly working on it since last December. My only reference of using machine tools were Bridgeport & Excello (602) mills and Monarch 10EE and Hardinge HLVH lathes in the college shop I used to help supervise. I view it as being extremely spoiled and now I have to start at the bottom and work my way up.
I know everyone knocks the Craftsman 109 lathe as being small and nearly useless. However, it is my first and currently only machine tool that I own. It was free, so I spent the time and a little money to clean it up and get it running. Hopefully it'll grow and reproduce some much bigger brothers and sisters.
I finally got to use it after working on it on and off in my spare time. The journey was as, if not more important to me than the end result. Fired it up last night and tried to drill a hole, but it broke my drill bit. Found out the tailstock was 0.015" off-center (vertical) from the spindle. Fixed that and no other major problems (used my "crappy" co-ax indicator I've complained of in the past and it worked great here). The final picture was after I turned down an aluminum bar and drilled a hole in it. It doesn't do great work, but it's better than nothing. Still need to mount some dial indicators on the axes to keep track of my travels. I'm planning to mount one only on the Y-axis. I think "eyeballing it" on the X-axis will generally be close enough for this lathe's (and perhaps my own) capabilities.