Thread: Another One Bites the Dust

Post Another One Bites the Dust

Click on photo below:

Does Mortar weaken? get rotten. I have worked around the older buildings in Chattanooga Tn and you can take the bricks out with a screwdriver. Concrete on the other hand seems to season and get harder with age.

I sure hate to see old historical buildings get trashed so they can put some crappy metal building up using foreign materiels.

David

Norman Atkinson Guest

David- Hi there!

We, in the UK, and I suspect elsewhere in Europe had to rebuild after the War- and to provide for delayed families from that period.

We knocked down thousands or millions of properties. This was my generation.

These buildings now have

CANCER!

So Two thousand years earlier, the Romans came to the UK. Built a Wall to keep Alastair and Co out or us from escaping to real civilisation. Whatever it was, they used quick lime and animals blood for mortar.
    Surprisingly, the wall is still there!

Not quite the answer that you expected?

Look after yourself,

Norman

Carl, your thumbnails do not appear on my screen. Is there some setting that I need to change? Perhaps I must reduce my security settings?
    Thanks.

Joel, do you have problems with any other photos on the forum? I've been linking them directly from the site they link to, so if you can link to the site I would think the thumbnails would link too. Strange?

[This message has been edited by Carl (edited 05-29-2005).]

Yes, strange. I have no problems with any other posted pictures or links. Whenever you say to click on the photo, all I see in your post is the text. I can see all of the photos in your Appomattox Iron Works post, but nothing except for “click on the thumbnail” in the Knight Foundry post and this post.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joel:
    Carl, your thumbnails do not appear on my screen. Is there some setting that I need to change? Perhaps I must reduce my security settings?
    Thanks.
    </font>
    Ya,that and you ain't been answering your e-mail either

I just need one more tool,just one!

It seems a shame to see an old building like that go down.But you can't keep everything.
    Where do you draw the line?
    Here in new zealand,many old buildings have been knocked down because they were at risk of collapse during an eartquake,a familiar occurrence here.
    Brick buildings in particular are very expensive to maintain when past a certain point in their lifespan.But i would have thought this building,with it's Casey Jones links,would have been saved.
    Keep the pictures coming,Carl.Great stuff!

------------------
    Hans
    Hans

We have been cursed with too many archetectual gems in the Buffalo NY area. Preservation board want to freeze us in time. Some of the buildings were in great shape and should be preserved but just being old isn't good enough anymore. I think Preservation Boards should raise funds and buy the properties they want to keep. But, as it is, owners of these properties can't even give them away because they cost too much to rehab. Nobody wants the responsibility/liability. Preservation is a concept that ran away with itself. It started out a noble idea and then everything that is old had to be saved....

Rant off.

Rant on.
    Let's talk about Presidential Libraries. Maybe we better not
    Rant off.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.