Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insulator Substitute

Post Insulator Substitute

I'm working on a low tension ignition magneto (American Bosch). I need to replace the output lead insulator (it is missing). The info I have in a 1919 engine operating guide says the insulator is made from "soapstone". I don't know what the modern equivalent of this would be. I am thinking of using Delrin (Acetal) to make the replacement. Any input would be appreciated.

Frank

Don't know if it's the same soapstone welders use to mark steel. Similar to chalk, but much harder. I think ceramic would be a good visual substitute for an insulator.

Soapstone is what's used in marking pens for welding. You can get it anywhere welding supplies are sold (Even Northern). The stuff I have is about 1/4" x 1/2" rectangular and 1/4" round.

Delrin may not hold up to the heat. How big of piece do you need? I have some small pieces of Bakelite-like material that's machinable. I used it to make insulators for a 1919 Ford magneto.

I don't think the soapstone referred to in the book is the type for marking. This would have to be a type of bearing material as well as an insulator. There is a small contact that turns inside the insulator as the same rate as the armature to make the connection with the output lead stud.

I don't think heat would be a factor in this case. This magneto is driven by the open cam gear through a skew gear. Everything is in the open.

The insulator would have to be resistant to humidity, as not to swell the bearing area or break the housing.

I do have some bakelite type pieces. Thanks for the offer.

Frank

[This message has been edited by PolskiFran (edited 05-27-2005).]

My Fairbanks R type mag uses bakelite for the leadout tower which holdes the carbon contact.If I remember right a lot of distributor caps are bakelite type plastic to this day.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

I've already cut the carbon coil contact from an old distributor cap for the pickup. The cap material itself isn't thick enough. The whole insulator looks like a shouldered bushing about 3/4" long with the output stud coming from the bore on the shouldered side.

Frank

Kind of like this Ford Timmer?

It quite possibly is soapstone. It would have some lubricity, and be an insulator. They also used mica in a lot of places for insulation for the same reason. Mica is available from some of the engine parts guys.

If you are looking for a functional replacement, delrin is probably as good as anything. It will absorb some moisture, but not as much as nylon.
    Jim H.

Why not try phenolic resin?

Garolite / Micarta NEMA G-10 (fiberglass reinforced epoxy resin, FR4 for flame retardant version)
    Color: Opaque Green or Brown-Green Machining: Easy (Nasty and Quickly Wears Conventional Tooling)
    Maximum Temperature: 284°F (Does not melt, but will darken and eventually char at higher temperatures.)
    Dielectric (Insulator) Strength: Excellent - 800 V/mil
    Tensile Strength: Outstanding - 45,000 / 38,000 psi Flexural Strength: Outstanding - 75,000 / 65,000 psi
    Impact Resistance (Izod Notch): Excellent - 14 / 12 ft-lb/in
    Cost: 1" - $12, 2" - $46 (1.5"- $25)

Garolite / Micarta NEMA G-11 (fiberglass reinforced epoxy resin, FR5 for flame retardant version)
    Color: Opaque Green Machining: Easy (Nasty and Quickly Wears Conventional Tooling)
    Maximum Temperature: 350°F (Does not melt, but will darken and eventually char at higher temperatures.)
    Dielectric (Insulator) Strength: Excellent - 900 V/mil
    Tensile Strength: Outstanding - 43,000 / 37,000 psi Flexural Strength: Outstanding - 80,000 / 70,000 psi
    Impact Resistance (Izod Notch): Excellent - 12 / 9 ft-lb/in
    Cost: 1" - $22, 2" - $89 (1.5"- $46)

Garolite / Micarta NEMA XX (paper reinforced phenolic resin)
    Color: Opaque Tan or Copper Machining: Easy
    Maximum Temperature: 284°F (Does not melt, but will darken and eventually char at higher temperatures.)
    Dielectric (Insulator) Strength: Excellent - 750 V/mil
    Tensile Strength: Excellent - 15,000 / 12,000 psi Flexural Strength: Good - 16,000 / 13,200 psi
    Impact Resistance (Izod Notch): Fair - 0.65 / 0.6 ft-lb/in
    Cost: 1" - $7, 2" - $27 (1.5" - $13)

Garolite / Micarta NEMA CE (cotton canvas reinforced phenolic resin)
    Color: Opaque Tan to Brown Machining: Easy
    Maximum Temperature: 239°F [257°F] (Does not melt, but will darken and eventually char at higher temperatures.)
    Dielectric (Insulator) Strength: Excellent - 550 V/mil
    Tensile Strength: Excellent - 11,000 / 9,000 psi Flexural Strength: Good - 17,500 / 15,000 psi
    Impact Resistance (Izod Notch): Good - 1.7 / 1.5 ft-lb/in
    Cost: 1" - $7, 2" - $25 (1.5" $13)
    Note: Machined parts are tougher than Garolite LE due to the heavier reinforcement fabric, but does not machine as nicely.

Frank,

You could use a pourable 2 part epoxy if a mold could be made. Epoxies have excellent moisture resistance and are widely used in the electrical insulation industry. Use a clear non pigmented version as they have better electrical properties than pigmented ones.

Chris