Thread: Heat treating question

Post Heat treating question

I found my machining book from school that I thought that I had lost. I decided to flip through it and see what I could learn, again. One of the items in the heat treat chapter covers a W1 draw die that has threaded holes in the corners. The text notes how...

"If there is a hole, sharp shoulder, or small extension from a larger cross section (Un-equal mass), a crack can develop in these areas (Figure D-37). Holes can be filled with steel wool to avoid problems."

The photo has a caption under it noting that the drawing die (pictured) was made of W1 and was water quenched.

I have never heard of packing a threaded hole with steel wool to prevent cracking in heat treat. Is this a normal operation? I have never had a crack in the D2, A2 & 4140 that I have treated.
    Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

I've never heard of it either,but I'd imagine it could be because it's a water quench steel, unlike the other tool steels you mentioned. Maybe the steel wool would serve to slow the quench just a bit on those areas.
    Pete

Independent principality of Sinquefieldia (formerly Missouri)

Packing with clay was mentioned in my books....the idea is to avoid quenching the thin area super fast. From both sides, it would quench fast, shrink fast, and possibly crack.

Seems likely steel wool will slow water access to the area, but still allow it to quench.
    2025 1680 1525 1501 0201 1501 2002 1101 0131 0128 1499 0601 0127 0602 1901 1501 25452514 1055 1909

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan