Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Ford tractors?

I recently replaced my Ford 1100 4x4 with a JD2555. Still have the Ford, just need to do some work on it. I have owned it since 1987 and it is a 1978 model. 13 hp 2 cylinder diesel that runs on fumes of the JD.
    I used the Ford to clear land, dig postholes, mow, level dirt, chew up stumps, dig trenches, and about anything else you can imagine. It has earned its keep, without a doubt. I sold it for $3K a few years ago, and the owner sold it back to me 2 years later, same price.
    If I needed another small tractor, I wouldn't hesitate to buy that metric thing again.
    David from jax

------------------
    Have gun, will travel.
    A serious accident is one that money can't fix.

pgmrdan
    Not knowing what your need for a tractor, makes it hard to make recommendations. If you want a small, comfortable hobby tractor and you have deep pockets, one of the little Ford “N” series tractors is hard to beat. I’m and old, long past farm boy, who has spent a lot of time on small tractors. If I had a need for one of the little buggers now, I think I would go for a small Oliver tractor, because of all the amenities they had. And they are less money than Fords. The Fords are neat, but normally OVER PRICED! Some things to look at are: 1.Do you need a 3 point hitch. 2. Do you need a “down pressure” hydraulic system, 3, do you need a Hydraulic system, 4. Gas or Diesel. 5. Wide or narrow front end . 6. $2000 or $20000 ???????? Evan has the right idea, If you can make a Jeep (CJ-5) or a Old Rover, do the job, it will do you multiple service. Plow the snow and then take you to have a beer or get the mail!
    Mel

[This message has been edited by lugnut (edited 05-31-2005).]

i was in the same pickel a year ago. i started looking at the 8n-9n's they were too light and under powered. i looked at the j-d like every one around here said get. could not aford one.if it is the popular model in you area then it will be a premium. i got an allis-chalmers d14. it is at the top of catagory one 40hp.
    it has live pto.

Wife and I bought 50 acres of hilly pasture and a nice 20 year old home 4 years ago. Weeds growing 10' high, couldn't find a tractor to buy instantly, most guys too busy and the only one that would give us a bid was about $600.00 to mow a few acres. We got used to looking at the weeds until I found an 8N. It taught me something. A lot of guys worry about how much money they are PUTTING INTO a tractor or other machine. That experience taught me that you can get a lot OUT OF A Tractor and it's still worth what you paid for it.

It's turned into a fun hobby with new paint, tires, 12v, ROPS, fork truck tines. Use a post hole digger and scoop for planting trees this weekend. Blade for snow and gravel. Spraying 40' maple trees this week for fungus.

Excellent parts availability from New Holland dealer or Just8n.com. A member of http://www.ytmag.com/nboard/wwwboard1.html even has a kit foradding live hydraulics I drooling over.

gkman11,

Sounds like you were in the same situation I will soon be in if I'm not careful.

I'm letting a couple of guys come on the place to mow and take the hay. That takes care of all the mowing (about 15 of the 20 acres). But when we move there I don't know if they'll want to bother.

I may raise some cattle. Plus I'll need a post hole auger to do landscape plantings and fencing. Some mowing of the ditch and some paths around the property where the cattle don't graze. Pushing snow. Moving large rocks for landscaping. And, of course, taking the grand kids for rides on a wagon.

I think an 8N would be perfect for me but there about 50 other tractors that would be perfect for me too.

I may raise some cattle. Plus I'll need a post hole auger to do landscape plantings and fencing. Some mowing of the ditch and some paths around the property where the cattle don't graze. Pushing snow. Moving large rocks for landscaping. And, of course, taking the grand kids for rides on a wagon.
    ===============================================

Sounds like the 8n would work for you if you like the tractor. Some plus's for the 8n are easy to work on and easy to find parts. Very easy to get on an off. {Remember you will be an old man some day.} Beautiful little tractor.
    Now, like I said before, one of the little diesels will work circles around them so I guess it depends how much you want to spend and whether you want to work very fast or not. All the big names, Ford, JD, Case have their small tractors built in Asia or Russia. JD's are made by Yanmar. If you buy one without Ford, Case, JD name on it, you may never find parts for it. People are buying containers full of these little used foreign tractors from Asia and they sell pretty cheap but there aren't any parts for some of them. If you look at some that have rice paddy tires, you can bet they have been imported. The rice tires have the very tall cleats.
    Michael

i would do more reading on trators. and i would not wait for that super deal everyone talks about. because what ever you get and pay for it some one will aways know where you could have gotten one cheaper.
    i told all those in the know i needed a tractor. could not find one did not hear from any of the xperts. i went to an sale and bought the d14 for $2750 . then they all came out of the wood work saying i paid too much.
    so the point to all of that rambeling is find one. check it out. if it looks good and you can aford it buy it and use it.

My inlaws farm in south Georgia is a small piece (26 acres) of what used to be a nice sized farm. We have a guy cutting hay on it, and he pays the taxes, plus sends a check to my mother in law every year before starting to mow. It isn't much, but it keeps her from having to pay the taxes and bush hogging the fields.
    My 13hp diesel Ford will outwork a 25hp gas tractor. 4x4 increases the box blade capacity by at least 35% when leveling piles of dirt. That is probably also true of snow removal, but not sure, since we try not to import that stuff into this area of the country.
    David from jax

David from jax

[This message has been edited by sandman2234 (edited 05-31-2005).]
    A serious accident is one that money can't fix.

Well, like I said, there are about 50 tractors that would meet my needs.

I found a couple of Allis-Chalmers that sound good and look OK plus the prices are $1500 so that's right too.

The one I'm more interested in is a WD45. That would do some work!

Now I just need to know if the attachments are plentiful in this area.

Ford N's and John Deeres are terribly expensive in this area (and probably all over).

A guy wants $3950 for his un-exceptional 1950 8N. He can keep it.

Tractor shopping is fun!

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 05-31-2005).]

Dan, I have a 49 model WD, it will work circles around the old 9N. It also has a frontend loader. James

[This message has been edited by J. Randall (edited 05-31-2005).]