Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gatling Gun Plans

Question Gatling Gun Plans

As a newbie I am starting a long term project to build scaled down (.22 CALIBER) Gatling Gun. Does anybody have some experience and advice with the various plans on the market? I am currently looking at offerings from:
    D&E Modeling in Kentwood, LA.
    and
    RG-G INC. in Trinidad, CO.
    or is there another source in the same price range for plans $50-$60 that is considered better???

This won't be my first project but it will be one I will apply "lessons learned" as I become (hopefully) more adept in machining.
    Thanks for ANY advice.... Ron

I have the D&E plans. I can say that the plans are neatly drawn (CAD w/ solid model isos), and look to be very usuable. I haven't made any of the parts, so I can't say if the plans are completely accurate or not but they certainly look great.

I have both sets of plans, but have not found time as yet to tackle one.

I think the D&E plans make up into a much nicer looking gun when finished. I have seen both, and discussed them with Dale Detrich at the NAMES show. He has built both and also prefers the D&E.
    Jim H.

Question

In line with D&E then is it better to get the CD-Rom or the actual plans????? I am retired from 39 years of computers but as a newbie would actual plans be better than reviewing on a CD????? Are the plans 8.5 x 11 or larger scale?? Questions Question.... Ron

Seems to me the plans on CD would be the only way to go. I can not think of a reason to get a printed version intead of the plans on CD ROM.

The electronic version would be scalable to any size paper for printing hard copies. And you can make back up copies for long term storage protection. JRouche

jfsmith Guest

I would upscale the plans to .410 shells and then use deer slugs. More fun and maybe a candidate for Knob Creek.

Jerry

I'M BUILDING ONE BASED ON RG-G PLANS.
    THIS IS NOT A CHEAP GUN TO BUILD.
    SCREWS, GEARS, BARRELS, MATERIAL AND TOOLING CAN EAT YOU ALIVE AND MY HOME SHOP IS VERY WELL TOOLED. MATTER OF FACT BETTER THEN ANY SHOP I HAVE EVER WORKED IN. PEOPLE ALWAYS POST ON RG-G'S FORUM WANTING TO BUILD FULL SIZE ONES. THEY DON'T UNDER STAND WHY A FULL SIZE ONE CAN COST $75000.00 OR MORE. BUILD ONE AND IT WANT TAKE LONG TO FIGURE OUT WHY.
    I WOULD GO WITH THE PRINTS BECAUSE OF THEIR LARGE SIZE WHICH MAKES THEM EASIER TO STUDY.

------------------
    "LET THE LEAD FLY!"
    \"LET THE LEAD FLY!\"

I have built the D&E gun, got the plans whenj Doug called the Company Model Engineering Plans. Have a friend who built the RG-G plans. After looking at both plabs and both guns I am glad i went with the D&E. Scale is better, plans are better, finished product is better, this is of course in my opinion only. Also, get the paper plans, again in my opinion. I am posting a picture of the gun on the workbench using walnut wood as opposed to oak, everyone else seemed to want oak but i liked the contrast of the brass against a dark wood. Email me if you have any more questions, I will try to assist if possible. I will be in Tenn. and Ga. until Wed. of next week so i may not reply for a few days so don't give up.

I met a rather interesting guy down in New Mexico one day - he gave me a tour of his mountain-top machine shop and observatory. Here's some pictures I took of a .22 Gatling he had built from the plans from the guy in Trinidad, CO.

http://photobucket.com/albums/b276/p...t=P0000844.jpg
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b276/p...t=P0000842.jpg

plm

I'm not expert on the authenticity of gattling guns, but Cecil that model looks excellent! nice job